Kemper Cleans

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Still testing and putting the KPA through it's paces. I'm not happy about the pops and clips with 1.05, but I am sure they are working on a resolution. I don't want to rev back because it's a PITA and 1.05 latency is much lower and feels better.
    Last night I decided I was no longer going to download every single user profile and try and test every one... there is no way to keep up while many are very good, others are not. I decided I'm going to try to start dialing stuff in that is going to work for me in headphones, nearfields and .... something else.
    I just tried the RCF312A and while it was nice (and a steal for a PA of that quality) it still brought over all the characteristics that I despise in LOUD FRFR - plasticy, shrill highs, incredibly boomy lows, etc... to be honest, I think I'm bringing some of that over in my patches, but not all. I'm also still struggling with the power amp + cab scenario. It is just not sounding that great right now. It could be my power amp, cab, speaker but it's frustrating.
    So at this point I'm quite happy with cleans recorded direct to disk. I don't think I could really ask for any better. I'm as happy as I can be with headphones and nearfields sound pretty good, fizzy when low volume, better and fuller when opened up, too shrill and piercing when pushed too hard. It's the in the room / louder environment/ jam and gig ready setup that is my main issue at this point. I will continue to work on it because I don't know if any other modeler would be drastically different at this point.
    Here are clean samples, same All Parts strat in 4 position, same little riff.
    AC15, AC30, Champ, Deluxe - no FX.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/KemperCleanTesting.mp3
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/KemperCleanTesting.flac

2. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    I did a system reset and the pops and clicks went away.

3. Gasp100

I tried that, still no deals. It worked for what seemed like a bit, but I've been trying to play straight for an hour or two a day and they are still there unfortunately on my system.
    Chris, you mentioned you were testing using the EHX Magnum with the KPA into a cab, right?
    That is my live setup now and I've been pumeling the crap out of my Scumback H55 with dance music, I have at least 16 hours on it now not included at least 6 hours of VERY loud volume playing. The cleans are REALLY starting to open up and sound great, even with the EHX being solid state and even with the KPA using just cab disabled on the monitor out (ie. not using specially created DI profiles right now). I'm so freaking close, but any overdrive sounds pretty horrid. It's a little better, but it is still extremely raspy and brittle. I'm now wondering if it's sending an overdriven signal through the EHX vs. the speaker itself?
    Any thoughts?
    I really want to see if I can rent a tube head to blast through this cab and get the skinny. I could also profile it while it's in house.
    So, to my previous email things are looking up even in the live status for the KPA which is good. Will probably involve MORE MONEY if I cannot get this speaker working the way I want though - I think I need at least another 30 hours of loud program material blasting through this cab/speaker.
    Anyone try the KPA into the FX return of a nice tube amp?
    How about the Line 6 DT series?

4. blewis

blewis Member

Just curious, is that my AC15 profile or did you make your own?

5. Gasp100

Hi, that is yours! I am using one of the crunch ones as well, but like I posted above I'm having issues with overdrive stuff through loud rig. Getting there though.

6. KJR321

KJR321 Member

Hey Gasp100. I've used both the axe-fxII and the Kemper into effects return of a Mesa Boogie Mark V combo. To my ears, both sound so much better than playing through my monitors (KRK Rokit 5 and Rokit6), which actually sound pretty good. Its just a much better, less harsh sound to me.

7. Gasp100

Cool, I will have to try that (but with a less expensive amp :)
    Blewis, here is a quick clip of your AC15 but crunchy this time. The cab wasn't working for me, so I used the Kemper AC30 cabinet and did some tweaking. This is rhythm with my LP that has P90's... pretty raw.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/Kemper-AC15CR.mp3

8. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

+1 same setup here and both sound great.

9. Pick909

Pick909 Member

So the power amp of a Mark V does not color too much your sound? Very interesting because you have a very high quality backup rig in the same time!

Pierre

10. mix2much

mix2much Member

I've never been wild about the sound of the Axe Fx on the return of my amps but to each his own. In fairness, I never tried to dial it in specifically for that purpose which I imagine I'd have to do.

As for the RCF 312A.....great bang for the buck but it is far from perfect. I had to make my presets in the Axe Fx specifically for that powered speaker in ordeer to make nice with it. Once I did that, it sounds as good as I'll get before spending $1.2K plus for the NX12-SMA. The bonus to this is once I tailored my presets to it, those presets translate to the front of house with minimal fuss.

PS- the Kemper sounded just plain awful thru the RCF just as the OP described but I also have my presets dialed for my headphones mainly as I haven't even played much thru my studio monitors. I suspect if I did some eq magic on the way out it would be a different scenario.

11. Csgband

Csgband Member

Moved to Austin, formerly from Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry to hear the reset is not working, I am sure Kemper will fix it soon.
    I agree with you about the EHX Magnum, I just think the EHX does not have enough power and clarity.
    I am looking forward to trying something more power.
    That said, it still sounds the most amp like of anything I have tried.

12. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

After I did a system reset I get the pops & clicks all the time, before I only got it after tweaking a couple specific knobs (mostly amp parameters like tube shape).

Have you tried the Art SLA-1 or SLA-2 or a Matrix? How much power amp is in the cabinet section of the KPA (do you loose the power amp simulation when you turn off the cab)? Is a power amp with some color, as opposed to neutral, beneficial with the KPA?

13. blewis

blewis Member

I think that sounds pretty darn good Gasp. Fairly good example that there is some adjusting you can do in this box. I just played the crunch one today and wasn't that thrilled with it. Your clip sounds good.

I was hearing some of the low string attack stuff on your clean AC15 clip that bugs me about my profile.

Those were the first ones I did. I need to get to the place where I feel comfortable selling that amp, but I'm not quite there yet.

14. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Been talking back and forth with kemper regarding the pops in V5. they said they are working on it and will have a fix soon. they gave me a very easy way to revert back to the last version. Sent a file which I unzipped, and instead of putting in the OS folder, just put it in the general USB stick, then when booting up, hold down Exit, which boots from the USB, it then asks if I want to load in 1.04? I said yes, it loaded it in, and then all was well again and I am back to 1.04, very painless actually. I liked how 1.05 felt better, but the pops would come and go, and when they were there, it was pretty frequent, and sometimes they would go away for a good while.

But 1.04 is working great for me right now, and I know they will have a fix soon. they have been very attentive through email and keeping me updated..

15. Gasp100

Good news it is acknowledged and they are working on it as well. I don't have any gigs or anything serious going on so I will deal until the updated OS is out. Like you said, it's intermittent and comes and goes.

16. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Yeah and if it really bothers you, then it was really easy to go back down, just do as I instructed. Took all of a few minutes and no problems or losses going down.

17. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

IMHO it is a great setup. I have been using the Mark V long enough with modelers that I generally know the compensation that I must do to make the modelers sound how I think they should (generally brightening it a little). And the amp gives you an FX loop bypass switch at the footswitch so you can easily go between the amp and the modeler. Anyway, worked great for me with the Pod HD, 11R, Axe I and II, KPA and others but YMMV.

18. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

The odds are very high that most, if not all, of the properties you describe are built into your patches. You're describing exactly what happens when you dial in patches to sound perfectly balanced at low volume, then play them at much higher volume. It's not the rig, it's your hearing. You will find that patches that sound balanced - neither boomy nor harsh - at "normal" playing volume (90+dBA) will sound softer and more mindrangey when you play them at bedroom volume. That's the direction you want to go: dial them as loud as you expect to play, leave them as is for lower volumes.

Build your patches for that scenario. They will then sound good, if not great, at lower volumes, and you won't have to cringe whenever you turn up.

It has nothing to do with the modeler and everything to do with the highly nonlinear nature of human ear-brain neurology.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Anybody have a link on how to do a reset?