Kemper-Helix comparison (Comfortably Numb)

Which is which?

• A=Kemper, B=Helix

Votes: 69 48.9%
  • A=Helix, B=Kemper

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • No idea

Votes: 25 17.7%

• Total voters

A-Mags

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for this and nice playing!

I don't have any experience with the Kemper, but the Helix has some clipping and note decay that bugs me a bit and I find that evident in your B track.

A question, did you try making them sound as close as possible or did you try to coax the best Gilmour type tones out of each?

Ericjutsu

dammit you guys may be right. I have no personal experience with either but from what I hear from the Kemper tones I've listened to in the past is that it's not as upfront and direct sounding as other modelers although it's harder to tell from the reverb. So judging by that I'm thinking I might be wrong but I'm just not sure. I really hope I'm wrong because I like A better.

Last edited:

kodou

Yeah I totally didn't dig B however I too think A is Kemper and B is Helix. Mostly just because I am at the part of the day where I am hating everything that I do and just spent an hour with the Helix. It sounded ace this morning :(

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
Great playing and tone on both :)

As a Kemper user .... my sense is A is the Kemper ..... I base that solely on A sounding just a hint less processed and less compressed ....... but I could be wrong <= MASSIVE FACE SAVING DISCLAIMER :)

But seriously, in a live/recorded full mix it would be essentially impossible to tell them apart.

Great work ...... great tones from both units !

Ben

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
They both have a ton of cross over distortion and I could not live with either :rolleyes:

Seriously though, great playing. I like both and think B is the Kemper

jazzfromhell

I think B is the Kemper but in this case A sounds better.
Not sure why you used an IR with the Kemper though. Every clip Ive heard with people using IR´s instead of the KPAs own cabs makes it sound worse.

Last edited:

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
No idea which is which but I preferred B (it was a bit "rawer"). Both could get the job done though.
-
Austin

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
Nice playing and sounds in both as always Ben !

I typically don't guess cause I am always wrong .

I will say A is the Kemper . I do hear from 38 onward more raw helix type tones in B.... Of course this could be a RA Kemper sounds as well ;)

Regardless I liked A slightly better

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
Sooooo similar... I'd have to give it to A as it's a little less dry. But really who cares at that level...

Trending Topics