Kemper impressions from a Line 6 user

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by frankencat, Jan 21, 2019.

1. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Routing capability is superior on Helix by leaps and bounds. Comparing re-amping ability and overall competence in studio is a little apples and oranges, since the Helix includes an audio interface and the Kemper doesn't. And once you factor in an external interface, virtual routing in your DAW, etc. the whole question of Helix vs. Kemper routing kind of falls away anyway.

IMO the Kemper's MIDI implementation is insufficiently convoluted, i.e. it took me about 5 minutes to discover 5 things I couldn't do. Didn't stop me spending another 2 years trying LOL. :bonk

JiveTurkey likes this.
  2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Helix won me over for sounding just as good as my high end units like KPA and Axe. Dynamically, I think KPA beats them all, but not enough to worry about it.

Helix Dual amp fx paths, snapshots, routing options, IR loading, great editor, best UI, and everything on the floor. Nothing extra needed. No extra cabling, no racks, no extra cases to carry the controller.

Jose7822, davecheng and mbenigni like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Glen Delaune has a pet owl?!?!?

mbenigni likes this.
  4. JiveTurkey

Not that we've been through this via PM already more times than is quantifiable via the techniques of modern mathematics
    :anon:crazyguy

Routing and signal chain; I don't think there is a bigger duh on that comparison where we both would agree more than we already do. As it stands now; I will say Kemper midi implementation, for me; is sufficiently unconvoluted :D

mbenigni likes this.
  5. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Four letters for you: NRPN.

I.e. it is both insufficiently convoluted, and way too convoluted. Depending on whether you're crazy enough to try and bend the rules.

But I respect your observation per the crucial "for me". :)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  6. JiveTurkey

ALWAYS HAVE AN OUT VIA DISCLAIMER

MIJLOVER and mbenigni like this.
  7. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

I will humbly concede that "for me" can be safely replaced with "for 99.4% of all guitarists", whereupon Kemper's routing is fine, its UI/UX is very sensible, and its MIDI implementation will probably never even be considered. But abandon all hope ye 0.6%.

Glad Kemper is working out for you this time. Have you built your pedalboard yet, and are there pics?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    JiveTurkey likes this.
  8. JiveTurkey

Noooooooooooooooooooot just yet.

:hide2

mikah912 and mbenigni like this.
  9. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

I was not able to get my Kemper to feel like a valve guitar amp in almost two years, and I have no one else to call upon locally who can just show me a few things. I relegated my Kemper to silent practice with cans on my desk.

I have a Line 6 HX FX on a Pedaltrain one and it works great with my Marshall valve amps.

The sound from a Kemper is there, but not the feel, for me anyway.

Obviously ymmv :)

10. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

So... there's still time for you to stray into 0.6% territory. ;)

JiveTurkey likes this.
  11. JiveTurkey

BRB searching for my cache of "So you're saying there's a chance!" memes

MIJLOVER and mbenigni like this.
  12. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

I a
    I assume youve tried the Kemper into the effects loop return of your Marshall?

C-4 likes this.
  13. otter5555

otter5555 Member

the were the free mbritt plexi's to start with
    i also found all 3 channels of the evh 100 stealth
    and 2 channels of a 92 recto
    i have no idea what the original names were. that was too long ago and all have been fine tuned and renamed several times over to suit my tastes.

i was amazed by the number of GOOD free profiles available. i saw no need to look farther or to buy profiles. ymmv

JiveTurkey likes this.
  14. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

My take away from these threads is that both units are awesome, and based upon the patches/profiles the person went through, there are strengths and weaknesses. I own a Helix, but I would love to try a Kemper, at the same time there are probably diminishing returns when it comes to which is "better". Both units have different methodologies for creating a tone and dialing it in, but there is a ton of sounds available.

15. C-4

C-4 Member

Yes, and other amps. I thought the purpose of using a Kemper, however, was to eliminate the use of a regular guitar amp.

If I need my valve amps return in the loop to run my Kemper, to me that defeats the purpose of using the Kemper.

I've tried using the Kemper into power amps for guitar as well.

Except for practicing silently in the early morning, my Kemper is nothing more then an expensive door stop. And the floor unit that goes with it...that was a waste of $500 as well. ymmv :)

16. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

I'm not a Kemper hater by any means, but the unit has some severe drawbacks for me, especially if you consider the price tag.
    - No Editor after 7-8(?) years of the Kemper release.
    - No audio interface
    - The fact that you always have to play with someone else's sound, unless you can profile amps, which most of the users can't.

I've played Kemper units in the past, direct and through cabs. It was very very good, IF the guitar being used was similar with the one used while profiling. For me that was the dealbreaking element that made me look elsewhere. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy a rack Kemper for 1000 euros if someone was selling it for that price, but I'm sure I would have a hard time getting the sounds I want.

One example of why I didn't buy a Kemper back when I was looking for a digital solution. I played a Chris Cornell Tribute show and I didn't have any gear because I was saving for an Axe Fx. One of the guitarists that played in that show was kind enough to let me play through his Kemper, but with my guitar. I rehearsed with it as well, so I had plenty of time to search for profiles, tweak, etc. For that show I used my Telecaster equiped with a Dimarzio Chopper T (rail pickup), which is something like a humbucker, but not exactly. That was it. Every profile I tried didn't sound 100% right, until I profiled my teacher's Plexi with my guitar. Boom, amazing sound right away.

I'm not dissing the Kemper, on the contrary I really liked the tones I finally got with it and a lot of tones I've heard from friends using it and guys online. I think that the hate it gets is mostly due to it's lack of editor which is fair in my opinion and the profiling process as it is right now. Many parameters can go wrong with all that process. I ended up liking modelers more because they offer you a blank canvas to shape your sound around the rest of your gear, while profiles are pre-made in a very big extend.

17. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

There's no official editor, however there's an unofficial editor that works great.

Jose7822 and BillTrantos like this.
  18. Lord N

Lord N Member

It's silly, i agree.
    I'd guess that this isn't possible unless you do a hardware upgrade. Also almost anyone that is into home recording already has an interface and if they don't, there are interfaces that cost 50$....
    I had a whole lot of modelers in my life but never ever have i used one of them as an audio interface.
    You can't model your own amp in a Helix or whatever either. You have to play the amp model in the way the programmers have modeled it.
    What...

19. C-4

C-4 Member

I spent 2 years, after receiving the Kemper, trying to understand it, learn to use it, and trying to get it to "feel" as a valve amp for live band work.

I contacted the Kemper users on the Kemper site and spent considerable time trying everything within my limited power to get the Kemper to feel as I desired.

I openly admit my very short ability with digital, and asked a number of players for help. Nothing got the Kemper to feel as a valve amp, which is what I've played for over 50 years.

I downloaded profiles which I felt were better then what I could have done myself. I also do not have the right gear to do the type of profiles the pros have, nor do I feel I could get the results the pros get.

The Kemper sounds ok using headphones. It's the live aspect for which I bought it that I cannot get.

20. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

Unfortunately a 50$ interface doesn't produce results worthy of the Kemper, at least in the way I see it.

You can't model the amp, of course not, but you can adjust a lot of things to make it sound closer to what you have in mind. The EQ controls of the Kemper don't work like the profiled amp's controls. Many users here reported that if you tweak the profile a lot it starts to sound a bit off.

I used an example of my experience in order to show what I mean. I see that this didn't come through as I intended. Try to get a profile which was made with a single coil guitar and play through humbuckers. Then use a single coil guitar. If that sounds the same to you, then I probably need ear transplant.