Kemper into a 112 cab....what speakers you using?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by joemiracle220, Dec 24, 2018.

1. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Member

Looking for suggestions on a good speaker to pair with the kemper in a 112 cab.

Blues and rock are my main styles. Srv to van halen..

2. cap217

cap217 Member

celestion 150 or evm12l

3. Scott P

Scott P Member

EVM 12S in a pine, open-back cab. I use these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I leaave the mainouts to the FOH basically flat and then EQ the monitor out to make my profiles sound right in my cabs. It keeps everyone happy and sounds great.

rburkard likes this.
  4. Ejay

Ejay Member

I regularly play the kpa with:

Combo’s with c80’s
    Cheapo peavey valvestates combo

Powered kpa I play with either a pine oversized loaded with a wgs veteran (60w version)
    Or a mesa thiele with an ev12

I have played c90s, g12’s

Tbh, with a twist of the monitor out eq, it all worked fine.

The thiele cab with EV is a bit bass heavy for some conditions, so I replaced the back to be able to open 1 panel when desired. The ev is a great sounding speaker by any measure.
    However...many times I prefer the oversized cab with the wgs veteran, that speaker is a bit more mid focussed. The thiele cab is a great addition to the oversized cab, nice blend of sound, and in rough conditions the bottom end it gives makes sure you never run out of it.

Mind u, im no metal head / typical rockplayer...so I tend to want less bass then many of those.

Whichever speaker you choose, I can highly recommend a cab where you can remove the back. Thats a really powerfull tool which lets you adjust for conditions, from roomy and airy, to tight and focussed.

creative360 likes this.
  5. Scratch17

Scratch17 Member

I don't limit my clients to any single cab. I have a custom built Theile cab with a 12 inch EVM 12S in it. Also have another 12S and a Celestion G12M70 in 1 x 12 cabs that can be 1/2 open or closed. I also use a Theile with a 15L in it. Finally, I often use a Mesa open back 1 x 10 with a Mesa Vintage 10 in it. I have used all of these with my non-powered Kemper in both mono and stereo. I use an Acurus A150 stereo solid state amp for power.

6. JerEvil

JerEvil Member

Celestion K100 or Neo Creamback have been my go-to’s.

7. mangoman

mangoman Silver Supporting Member

I’m pretty happy so far with my closed back cab with a Celestion Red Back in it.

Will be looking to get a nice 2x12 some time soon....

8. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

If you're looking to cover several to evh authentically in a 1x12", that's gonna be tough.

If you're just looking for some ideas, I'd say (1) go Celestion on the speaker or at least Celestion-style, and go with a cab that is easily converted between open and closed back like the one shown above by Ejay. My Panama cab actually has quick release latches that let me quickly pop the center back panel on/off with a tight fit quickly and easily. Bottom panel can be unscrewed pretty easily too if I want "even more open" sound.

9. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

I use a Blue. Works fine as I like voxy tones. Using a SD170 to power it.

10. Noah

Noah Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use a Matrix Neolight NL12.

rburkard likes this.
  11. CrashC317

CrashC317 Member

Right now I have Greenback 112, G12 v-type 112, 112 vintage Jensen blue label, and 410 vintage Jensen blue label cabs.

If I had to pick one it'd be the Greenback in a wide cab. It plays best with most gainier profiles.

The blue labels do sound a bit more "right" for vintage fender profiles, but a little too narrow/trebly on gain profiles.

And the v-type sounds good with modern high gain stuff.

Pretty much exactly what I expected going in. Also found that Celestion's greenback IR is my go-to, so maybe it's just the right one for my ears in general.

Ingolf likes this.
  12. Crow

Crow Supporting Member

Personal preference is going to factor in for you in a big way. I would use the Kemper to your advantage and “audition” different cabs/speakers through different IRs. Sounds like you need something that will work for a variety of situations so find an IR that works well with your favorite profiles and that will help with your search.

13. rocketboss

rocketboss Supporting Member

Classic lead 80 works perfectly with MBritt profiles! That's Michaels speaker of choice and what he used most of the time to create his profiles.

14. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Really, really like the Celestion Redback in a Mesa 1x12 with the powerhead.

15. Gear nut

Gear nut Member

I have a Orange 112 with a 90 watt Celestion Creme I also bought a 150 watt Celestion Redback but i haven't tried it yet because the Creme sounds so good. They are 16 Ohm so the Kemper only pushes 300 watts instead of 600. I had a vintage 30 in it but I fried it that's something to consider you have to really watch how hard you push a 112 with these amps.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  16. ispunk

ispunk Member

100 watt Scumback M75

17. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

This is a great little cab with big sound. Have two of them now.

Noah likes this.
  18. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I love my KM212P, but use my PowerRack into one of my cheap Egnater 112SX cabs on small stages. Sounds really good with both, and it sounds identical, of course, in the PA.

19. Badtone

Badtone Silver Supporting Member

G12H30 Greenback; I use mostly Marshall profiles and it works great. If I was trying to cover more ground I’d try my EVM12L.

20. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

I used mine with the standard Celestion Vintage 30. Sounded great. I've since sold the Kemper and moved over to the Atomic stuff but that was for other reasons.