• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Kemper Kone, what cabinet

hdiddy

Silver Supporting Member
Howdy
I bought the Kemper Kone and looking to put in a 1x12 cab; I have a jet city one 12 that is good size, but having issues taking the back off; the other cab I have is a Bogner Small cube cab?
Do you think the Cabinet will make a difference with the speaker? I am tempted to put it in the Bogner because I can get it in easier, but it is a small size cab

Elantric

Dumb Question

What does Kemper mean when they state
"Available as sets (2 and 4 units)"??
Here is the Single Kemper Kone 12"
https://shop.kempermusic.us/kemper/kemper-kone.html
PROFILER KONE™ OVERVIEW
Replacement speaker for standard guitar cabinets to be used in conjunction with PROFILER Speaker Imprint Technology (SIT). Up to 19 different characteristics of classic guitar speakers possible.

Available as sets (2 and 4 units)

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
  • KEMPER Kone, manual
  • KEMPER logo spray paint stencil
WARRANTY AND RETURNS:
  • 30 days money back. 36 month warranty
FEATURES AND SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Dimensions: 30.5 cm (12“)
  • Weight: 3,9 kg
  • Power : 200W rms
  • Impedance: 4 Ohm
  • Frequency Range: 50 - 10.000 Hz
  • Cut-out-diameter: 28,3 cm

Phil_Mayger

Silver Supporting Member
Dumb Question

PROFILER KONE™ OVERVIEW
Replacement speaker for standard guitar cabinets to be used in conjunction with PROFILER Speaker Imprint Technology (SIT). Up to 19 different characteristics of classic guitar speakers possible.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
  • KEMPER Kone, manual
WARRANTY AND RETURNS:
Discounted rate for matched 2s and 4s maybe?

Sash

Dumb Question

PROFILER KONE™ OVERVIEW

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?
  • KEMPER Kone, manual
WARRANTY AND RETURNS:
That's exactly it. I bought a set of 2 and it's cheaper than buying them individually.
https://shop.kempermusic.com/gb/kemper/profiler/59/kemper-kone-2x12-set
https://shop.kempermusic.com/gb/kemper/profiler/60/kemper-kone-4x12-set

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone played synths or acoustic through a Kone? I am circling around formulating a plan involving one. Mainly because they come in 4ohms vs the F12 which is an 8ohm speaker.

Viabcroce

Ye, the cabinet can make a difference Vs the original one.
It's not a matter of material and thickness only: a cabinet, specially when closed, acts as an acoustic impedance to the piston movements. Depending on factors such as its internal volume, the air's path (is it guided? Is it free?) and its proportions, the cabinet "tunes" the speaker's response.
Imagine the speaker's free movement outward being "sucked back" by the rarefying air, and its movement inward being slowed down by the air compression.
The law by which this behaviour arises and acts in the time domain determines the overall impulse response of the cab.

Not that a different cab than the original one won't sound good necessarily, but it will most probably sound different. Since we are talking of simulations here, I'd go for a cabinet as similar as possible to the original: of course, the fine tuning of the Imprints has been made on the Kabinet.

HTH

AndrewSimon

Ye, the cabinet can make a difference Vs the original one.
It's not a matter of material and thickness only: a cabinet, specially when closed, acts as an acoustic impedance to the piston movements. Depending on factors such as its internal volume, the air's path (is it guided? Is it free?) and its proportions, the cabinet "tunes" the speaker's response.
Imagine the speaker's free movement outward being "sucked back" by the rarefying air, and its movement inward being slowed down by the air compression.
The law by which this behaviour arises and acts in the time domain determines the overall impulse response of the cab.

Not that a different cab than the original one won't sound good necessarily, but it will most probably sound different. Since we are talking of simulations here, I'd go for a cabinet as similar as possible to the original: of course, the fine tuning of the Imprints has been made on the Kabinet.

HTH
Agreed
There is a whole science to building a cabinet, you start with the cone's fs and Q factor in order to calculate the proper volume of the cabinet so you get a flat response.
I think it would be very hard for the average Joe to start learning all this.
It's probably much easier to contact Kemper and ask for recommended cab dimension or just to measure and copy the Kemper Kabinet.

:)

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
Howdy
I bought the Kemper Kone and looking to put in a 1x12 cab; I have a jet city one 12 that is good size, but having issues taking the back off; the other cab I have is a Bogner Small cube cab?
Do you think the Cabinet will make a difference with the speaker? I am tempted to put it in the Bogner because I can get it in easier, but it is a small size cab
The Jet City 1x12 closed back cabs are great, but the Eminence speaker is crap. I replaced the Eminence with a Celestion Redback (150w) and my Powerack sounds amazing through it. They are quite a big box for a 1x12 and this gives a bit of oomph. I am looking around to buy another.

I just ordered a Kone to try in the JC cab.

You are right in saying that the back is hard to get off - don't let this put you off. Below is how I got the back off after removing the screws made no difference - it was jammed in really tight and if I levered it with a screw driver, the wood and tolex started to fray.

1. Remove all the screws from the back panel
2. Remove the screws from the metal jack plate
3. Carefully remove the jack plate
4. Get a small/medium size hammer (ball pein preferrable)
5. Fit the hammer (and hand/wrist) through the jack plate gap
6. Start tapping each of the corners of the back panel from the inside (hitting out)
7. Be patient the back panel will eventually come out
8. Next time I had to open the back panel it was still tight but came out without removing the jack plate
9. Smash up the Eminence speaker with hammer and throw in the rubbish bin

Best of luck!
Paul

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
The Jet City 1x12 closed back cabs are great, but the Eminence speaker is crap. I replaced the Eminence with a Celestion Redback (150w) and my Powerack sounds amazing through it. They are quite a big box for a 1x12 and this gives a bit of oomph. I am looking around to buy another.

I just ordered a Kone to try in the JC cab.

You are right in saying that the back is hard to get off - don't let this put you off. Below is how I got the back off after removing the screws made no difference - it was jammed in really tight and if I levered it with a screw driver, the wood and tolex started to fray.

1. Remove all the screws from the back panel
2. Remove the screws from the metal jack plate
3. Carefully remove the jack plate
4. Get a small/medium size hammer (ball pein preferrable)
5. Fit the hammer (and hand/wrist) through the jack plate gap
6. Start tapping each of the corners of the back panel from the inside (hitting out)
7. Be patient the back panel will eventually come out
8. Next time I had to open the back panel it was still tight but came out without removing the jack plate
9. Smash up the Eminence speaker with hammer and throw in the rubbish bin

Best of luck!
Paul
I have an old JC 212 and this is exactly how I had to open it up. Talk about frustrating :mad:

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
Hey at least you know it is a truly sealed cabinet! Jokes aside, these cabs are much underrated. I think the 1x12's were made oversize to accommodate a JC combo amp in the top section for greater model flexibility. A racked Kemper sits perfectly on top (with a rubber mat, cut out for the cab's handle).

BTW, the feet on the JC cabs are crap. Yesterday I replaced them with large solid rubber feet - the cab sits a lot more solidly now.

Two Redbacks in the JC 2x12 would be an excellent 300w cab for a powered Kemper.

I'll report back on how the Kone sounds in the JC 1x12

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Hey at least you know it is a truly sealed cabinet! Jokes aside, these cabs are much underrated. I think the 1x12's were made oversize to accommodate a JC combo amp in the top section for greater model flexibility. A racked Kemper sits perfectly on top (with a rubber mat, cut out for the cab's handle).

BTW, the feet on the JC cabs are crap. Yesterday I replaced them with large solid rubber feet - the cab sits a lot more solidly now.

Two Redbacks in the JC 2x12 would be an excellent 300w cab for a powered Kemper.

I'm thinking about installing Kones :anon I put casters on it. I need to do the math on the power side.

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
The Kones are a strange beast - 4 Ohms. Parallel that makes 2 Kones 2 Ohms, which would blow most guitar amps and cause SS amps to shut down. A lot of SS amps shut down at 4 Ohms which could be a problem. Two Kones would have to be wired in Series to make 8 Ohms. Either way should give 400 Watts RMS which is scary.

BTW there is no guarantee on my calculations above!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
The Kones are a strange beast - 4 Ohms. Parallel that makes 2 Kones 2 Ohms, which would blow most guitar amps and cause SS amps to shut down. A lot of SS amps shut down at 4 Ohms which could be a problem. Two Kones would have to be wired in Series to make 8 Ohms. Either way should give 400 Watts RMS which is scary.

Here's a (dumb) question. Has anyone tried the Kone with another platform using good old IRs?

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member

They’re definitely designed to be wired in series if using 2 and since a lot of SS amps put out well more than 400 watts there’d be zero issues. More wattage equals more clean headroom.

Viabcroce

There is a whole science to building a cabinet, you start with the cone's fs and Q factor in order to calculate the proper volume of the cabinet so you get a flat response.
Acoustic load is given by how free the air is to move. So besides volume individual dimensions make a difference, and any internal panel/path.
A thin and large cab's air is going to react quite differently than a small-front, very deep one's, volume being the same
:)

hdiddy

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the advice; I gave up on the jet city after hours of trying the back never came off after all that tapping.
I went with bogner cube which is ported and sounds great . No need to use the bass boost all there.

I am using the bad cat unleash since it has a class d power amp and sounds great

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member

So how did the cab sound with the kone?

Trending Topics