Kemper Learning Curve?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by M@tt C, Apr 17, 2015.

1. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

After much deliberation between Axe FX and Kemper I pulled the trigger on a Kemper, and it's on the way to me- found a great deal on a new in the box rack unit that I couldn't pass up!

I've been perusing the manual, going thru the Kemper forum, etc. just to get my head around all the unit can do, but until I have it in front of me it's all theoretical.

So- what's the learning curve like? The unit is arriving Tuesday, and I have a gig that Saturday. I've got some experience with rack FX, and very basic MIDI knowledge. I need some basic mid to high gain rock tones with some delay/ chorus stuff for the 80's vibe, and currently have a Midi Mate controller.

Is it possible to get to gig- able levels of know-how in that short amount of time? My current rig is fully intact, so I have that as my safety net!

2. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

I find it much easier than the axe...I've owned 2 of each. T%he key with the Kemper is finding the right profiles. There are thousands out there but there may only be a few that actually sound perfect to you. It's all subjective. Try out as many as you can. Definitely download the rig manager and use that...much easier to go through rigs.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I am currently saving for a Kemper, and have also been reading the manuals for it and asking questions.
    Another player here just got one this week. He reported that he took his time, and the first night found a profile of a Marshall, which he set up as he uses his real Marshall live. He said it was so amazing that he thinks it sounds better then his real Marshall.

When I get mine, I plan to work with it at home until I can correct anything I don't like about the sound when I get to use it live. I'd rather take my time and make sure, then run out to use it live and be disapointed.

Here is the link to the thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1565137

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Totally depends on how many sounds you need for your gig. Just make sure to audition your sounds at full gig volume before you settle on a patch.

5. FlameTop

FlameTop Member

My advice would be to keep it simple at the start. Its a great temptation with the Kemper to fill it with thousands of profiles. This can overwhelm you. I find it much better to keep mine limited to just the profiles that really work for me.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?

I agree.

7. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

I use maybe 5 profiles for gigging, it took me a about 3 hrs. to setup my seven "rigs" for live playing with a Uno chip FCB1010 ... each rig has a clean, hairy, distorted profile and effects that can be switched off and on (compressor, ts808, delay, trem, etc...)

One mistake I made after buying my Kemper was turning up the Volume knob on different patches... now I leave all of my sounds Volume settings (not gain) at zero... FYI if it's a Powerhead the output volume is adjustable (min-max very helpful)

I don't profile... the hardest thing to learn is how to setup your "rigs" with a pedalboard... it's pretty easy... I think most people can get very comfortable in an afternoon with it, enjoy!

8. boblazz

boblazz Member

it is easy to use right out of the box but i waited 1 week before i took it to a gig. it was tempting for me but i wanted to learn some of the ins and outs of it first. i programmed about ten sounds in the performance area , hooked up a simple midi advance box and all is well. also i was using in-ears with a personal mixer system so i think that made it a little easier. good luck. its a great unit.

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

As others have said its very easy to use. Mind you, I have the FCB with the Uno4Kemper chip so I haven't dabbled with midi on it.

Go through the profiles in Browse mode to find out what you like. Then switch to Performance mode and populate a performance with your 5 fave profiles and you're good to go. (Actually, you don't even have to use Perf. Mode, you can run everything from Browse mode if you like.)

10. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Agreed it's pretty darned easy to set up... especially with the UNO4Kemper and Kemper remote controllers. You really only have to deal with the expression pedals depending on how you use them... the stomp slots work the same as the front panel A,B,C,D,X slots...

11. Chris O

Chris O Member

Pretty much this.

12. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Thanks guys...can't wait to try it out!