Kemper live

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by thawn5150, Feb 11, 2015.

1. thawn5150

thawn5150 Member

I just picked up a Kemper unpowered rack unit. I am liking it but I am attempting to get a live sound and feel similar to my tube amp. I tried the powered speaker route with a mackie but did not like some of the tones I was hearing. I then attempted to use the Kemper with my Mesa 2 12 cab and a power amp. It was better but still not there. I have enough knowledge on how this unit works but just wondered if any of the Kemper users out there have gone through the whole issue of what seems to work best. I know the Kemper will never be a really tube amp but I'm interested enough to try and go down this route. I know some guys are using the unit live and was interesed in how they deal with the unit live. Thanks !

2. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

I have a powered toaster and running it through guitar cabs. It really depends on the profiles you use...most that I have downloaded just don't do it for me. Once you find one though, it's great.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Well, you tried *a* powered speaker route. I'm happy with my Atomic CLR, but you have to be comfortable with a miked amp sound onstage.

4. db9091

db9091 Member

What are you using for a powered amp?

5. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

It really doesnt matter how it sounds on stage, its the sound to FOH that matters. I get a great FOH sound thru our JBL many watts system, so my onstage sound is for my personal preference or enjoyment only. We have a dead quiet stage, as we're all running direct, so I use a powered CLR, but I"ve used a QSC K10, and i use a HC Helicon Live powered mic stand spkr on small stages, or when I'm lazy.

6. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I use a powered CLR - and that's what the audience hears (I don't run through a PA).

7. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Make sure you are turning of the Cab Monitoring to the "Monitor Out" on the back. I assume you are going "Monitor Out" to you power amp? This way, you are not getting all the frequencies that make up the profiles cab resonse. You only really hear YOUR guitar cab. Then use the XLR outs to FOH for the crowd to hear.

I use it like this and it works like a charm.

8. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

The most important thing: what profiles are you using?

9. thawn5150

thawn5150 Member

Thanks for the responses- it really points me in the right direction. You know its sometimes the simple things your not doing that can make a big difference. I tried a digital power amp did not work well tone wise. As far as profiles I've downloaded some good ones from the kemper site as well as the amp factory,top jimi,and was thinking of getting the M Britt profiles.

10. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I can't recommend TopJimi's Vox AC30 head and Marshall Pack enough! I posted a clip earlier using them and they were nice and "plug & play".

11. db9091

db9091 Member

I've had success using MBritt live without tweaking (pack 2 or Dumble)

I also think TAF sounds great live with a few CAB SHIFT parameter tweaks (so many good ones here. I personally like pack 6 and 8, but there are great ones peppered throughout 1, 2, 4, vintage, marshal, fender, etc, haven't tried 9 yet)

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i'm very happy with a pair of Alto TS110A powered cabs. Can't imagine needing more volume or coverage.

And it feels very much like a real amp. I'm using mostly ampfactory profiles but I've got some from topjimi and mbritt as well.

13. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

what type of power amp are you using OP??

for me:

Kemper Powerhead, 2x12 with V30 and Creamback H75, MBritt profiles, love the ftr37, ldw39, ert33, marshalls and pt100, using a uno kemper fcb1010 for footpedal/control

Engage "monitorcaboff" and you are set

I'm not a fan of FRFR, I prefer hearing guitar cabs

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015