Kemper - Lunchbox or rack mount?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by gaintweed, Mar 1, 2015.

1. gaintweed

gaintweed Member

Lining some things up, and if all goes well I should be ordering a non powered Kemper shortly. Only thing I can't decide on is lunchbox or rack mount version.

Rack mount makes perfect sense for live use as it will be better protected from drunken, beer spilling stage monkeys. Lunchbox looks more convenient for home/studio use, as it would be easier to sit on my desk or a table than a 6+spc heavy rack. If I went with the rack mount, am I missing some buttons or features that the lunchbox offers?

Suggestions...

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

From what I've researched, the button layout differs, but the functionality is identical.

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I'm getting a rack mount. Lunch box doesn't suit the truck and trailer transport needs I have. Rack is cool for a lot of reasons.

4. RLD

RLD Member

I have the rack mount.
    Besides the button layout being different, I believe some of the LED indicators are gone on some knobs.
    I haven't found myself wishing they were there.

5. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

I have the lunchbox after seriously thinking about the rack. I like that I can just pick it up and it's super light for quick on the go sessions, I like the form factor, the extra LEDs and the advantage to carry it in the bag onto a plane.

6. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Lunchbox for the reasons above.

7. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I can totally see the Lunchbox being perfect for the Pedestrian / Public transportation commuter.

8. rdwilson

rdwilson Member

I have the lunchbox, but like the looks & size of the rack.

9. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

I got the toaster and I love it!

10. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

The lunchbox has LEDs on 5 more knobs, and it has 2 quick access knobs for the Mod section.

The rackmount has a USB port on the front.

11. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Something that is rarely mentioned is that you can retrofit the Lunchbox with a third-part power amp at any later time.

This has been a deciding point to me, I knew that I'd have wanted to use my Dragoon 2x12" sooner or later, even tho my main rig is a couple of CLRs.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  12. db9091

db9091 Member

If you already roll with rackmount units and have space for a 3u, then that makes sense. The USB stick port is in the front. Has a few less knobs and LED's.

The lunchbox is easier to carry around, has storage room in the back of the unit (non-powered can take cable, usb sticks, etc) or you as Viabcroce pointed out, add third party power at any time that are custom fit to the unit (currently I know about Ambrosi and Camplifier) Also, there are 2 color choices for the lunchbox.

13. suckamc

suckamc Member

Toaster.

It helps disarm engineers' prejudice against modeling units. :) It's nothing they've SEEN before; it's nothing they've heard before.

14. BluesMan75

BluesMan75 Supporting Member

I went back and forth on this and regreted not getting the rack at first. Now I am glad I got the toaster. With kids in the house, I often pick it up and take it into another room or put it on the coffee table and play with headphones. It is super light weight, and I don't think I would have that flexibility with a rack unit. I also bought a cheap XL camcorder bag that fits it perfectly with room for extra cables etc. i do wish the USB were on the front but this is an easy fix with a USB chord extender.