Kemper Marshall Clip

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

This is the first test I am doing using any user made profiles / cabs and some judicious tweaking. This is one of sheguitarplayer's AFD100a profiles and I switched out the cab to something from "Tills" on the Kemper forum (a 1960 Marshall cab I believe). I've also added some bass, middle, cut treble and messed with the advanced amp params a little bit to loosen it a touch, add more bottom end, a little more grunt. The advanced params work well and they aren't too crazy, just like adding some spice.
    This is a pretty wound up Marshall tone, biting bordering on harsh I guess :p. The guitar is my LP Custom Black Beauty with a P90 in the bridge and a Staple Alnico in the neck.
    A couple things I'm finding as I dial in my recording setup.
    1. The headphone setup in the KPA sounds phenominal. Much better, focused tighter and more low end than my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett). For playing late night I will be sure to use the KPA headphone jack.
    2. The KPA XLR out into studio monitors also sounds better to me than into the Focusrite. I expected this, I guess it's addtional A/D & D/A along with another gain staging, but I don't want to mess with my setup now, the next step is just spdif into the Focusrite. It's close, but I have no doubt the KPA into FRFR will sound fantastic.
    3. I'm naming any rigs that seem like they will work for me, prepending with a GA- This way I can sort rigs by author and always be dialed into the ones I am working on. But I seriously need to go through every single profile and see because there are a lot of gems.

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/gasp100/kemper-ga-afd100a[/SOUNDCLOUD]

FLAC:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/GA-AFD100a.flac

2. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

Sounds good. I'm still not hearing anything that can't be done with the Axe-II though. I haven't experienced a Kemper first hand, so I'm only going off of clips.

The only reason I mention this is because I know you have both units now, so I would love to hear your honest thoughts on your preference, and why.

Plus you mention "judicious tweaking" and cab switching, which I have not heard from any Kemper owner yet and most want to avoid.

I'm only interested in the comments of people who have some experience with both, and no "butthurt" from any owner of any modeler/profiler allowed!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. Gasp100

The difference to me in direct recorded tone and through nearfields (and I therefore assume FRFR) is very close. Actually, even going into my EHX Magnum + cab is also very, very close (although I have not tested any profiles that were done with preamp's only or using the Palmer DI which are supposed to be the best ones to use with power amp + cab.
    I'm trying to find the right words to describe the actual available tones and I can't. I guess I would say the II is more "HI-FI" while the KPA seems a little more "earthy". Both are exceptional in every way. I honestly was not expecting the KPA to hang so close in virtually every aspect.
    Now, when I think about "workflow" and dialing in MY type of tones the KPA just sits so well in my wheelhouse. I explained before, most of the clips I did were done in minutes (seriously) with my kids berating me in the background :( many of these were dialed in on headphones or super low nearfields and I still think they capture the essence of the amps they are profiling. I did little to NO tweaking on most, except a little more indepth on the AFD, just to figure out how to do everything.
    A while back there was a big thread on nearfield & far field IR's. Jay Mitchell jumped in and helped out a lot with technical stuff, others jumped in talking about the speaker resonance controls in the II, then a new firmware came out that included more controls. At that time I was just starting to mix a far field and nearfield together and I was just getting close to thinking I had the cab/IR stuff figured out. But that thread was kind of a blessing and a curse (for me). I just could not get my head around it and my mind froze up thinking about still dialing in cabs to get where I wanted. I just DO NOT have time for anything like that, at all. 3 small kids, long hours, trying to get back into some semblence of shape, etc...
    I'm not thinking about any of that with the KPA because it's not there. The profile either works or it doesn't. The cab either fits, or it doesn't. If you are not getting there, you just have to move on.
    I also have barely scratched the surface with the FX. They are good quality but overall similar to say the 11R or so. The only drive I tried was a TS and that actually sounded great, do I want to dig into the drives. But again, I'm all about core amp tones and this is delivering, right out of the box, quickly.
    When I say HI-FI I mean the II (direct to disk and through nearfields) is very polished, all of the time. The high end sometimes seems a little "crunchy" to me as well. The KPA seems just a little rawer all around, sometimes the high end gets washy a bit, smeared... but it just works well in most cases.
    Finally, for me cost is a consideration and the KPA comes in $400 less than the II even if using a coupon. You're also not finding a II used for less than $2300 nowadays. That is a significant chunk of change to me because I can use that to flesh out the rest of my "rig".
    On the flip side the KPA is still technically beta and is not complete. I think they are going to get everything happening really soon and I'm confident we will see cool advancements, a software librarian / editor, dedicate foot control within the next year or so.
    The form factor goes to the II, but if you say a PIC of my home studio the KPA looks like it was meant to be here ;) Plus using the EHX Magnum 44 the KPA head actually works better sitting on top of my cab, the Mag fits into the back nicely.
    Hope this helps.

4. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Sounds good Gasp. I'd be interested in hearing more of the effects and your 11r comment resonates with me because while they are good, they are indeed limited.

5. Willowdale

Willowdale Supporting Member

Thanks Gasp for the detailed response. I guess I will just try a Kemper for myself at some point. Having access to some great profiles of other peoples amps can't be a bad thing.

My Axe-II is certainly not going anywhere, and although Cliff is adding profiling, I will probably also want to play the best profiles available on the Kemper as well. I'm greedy like that!!

Thanks again Gasp, and keep sharing your thoughts and posting clips.

6. Deaj

Deaj Member

Sounds great! Both this and the recently posted AC30 clip sound really great. Sounds like a bunch of fun! :)

ETA: Thanks for the detailed post of your observations of the Kemper and AxeII. Informative posts like this are helpful for folks trying to decide which way to go. I can see the the appeal the Kemper will have for many folks. By description it's not likely to fit my approack or application as well as the AxeFX II but then I'm a tinkerer by nature and like having access to as many parameters as possible in just about everything. Sounds like the Kemper could take the 'tweak' factor in digital emulation down a good bit.

7. xpenno

xpenno Member

Really great clip man, in fact all of the clips you posted today rock!

Spence

8. shasha

shasha Member

I couldn't agree more about that concept in general. I think that part of the problem with something that gives you a ton of parameters to tweak is that you get it into your head that you can find that one knob thats going to get you the perfect tone. That knob doesn't exist on any piece of gear.

Some of these things get a bit of a harsh rap because people talk about how long you have to tweak on it to make a patch. That's wrong, you know as well as I do that you can make a patch in about 2 minutes and if you stop thinking about 'what if I did this' and just use what you've got and enjoy it you'll discover that it does sound good. After 2 minutes you pretty much know whether it's going to work IMHO. Anything after that really should be about fine tuning it for the mix.

So what I'm hearing you say is that the KPA is almost liberating because you're pretty much where you're going to end up from the outset? I'm never going to be one to give up an option, but I can see where less is more in that regard.

If it sounds good use it, if it doesn't then move on and if you don't have it you don't need to worry about it. :p

I still get a case of tweakitis every once in a while. :bonk

9. mdme_sadie

mdme_sadie Member

That more or less sums up my experience. You can't tweak a vintage AC30 profile into a Bogner, but you can tweak it to be just a little more of whatever you're after e.g. a little more punchy, or to have a little less attack. So tweakage is available, but it's just that as the name suggests it's tweaks rather than chop shop wholesale changes.

You need to start out with something that's in the rough area then go from there, the good news is that just like with real amps nearly every profile seems to be inspiring and in the rough area of a tone that you'd want to use anyway.

10. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

Gasp,
    All the afd100 profiles were down with a palmer PDI03.

Most of them with the speaker sim on, one of them (the one with nc at the end of the name) from the direct out. Thats the one to try straight to the power amp/cab

Any one who has one will tell you the treble on them can take your head off. I did the profiles with all the controls at 1 or 2 o clock, which is apparently how Slash plays it. The direct out profile sounds spot on like the real amp in the room next to you through a power amp/cab.

11. Gasp100

Sweet. I will need to try that NC version for sure, Thanks!

12. journo

journo Member

Gasp,

Great clip!
    You sure has the KPA down pat.

Cheers,

Mats N

13. mindseye

mindseye Member

I always dig the clips you post.....keep up the good work!

Now that you have had both units do you think they would "play" well together to make one ultimate profiler/modeling rig?

If Kemper ever comes out with a rack version I think I would like to add it to my AxeII rig......the possibility's of the two working together just seem mind blowing at this point to me.

14. Gasp100

That would be incredible. Honestly, if the II incorporates a type of profiling that works as close to as good as the KPA I don't see needing both units together. That would be a VERY expensive rig and probably heavier than required to boot. I really cannot imagine having (or needing) all of those options, but it would be pretty nuts.
    They are very different animals, but they also have a lot in common as well.