• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Kemper - Now I'm tempted......

lenster

I know....another Kemper question. Sorry. :)
First of all,
I've been using a Fractal AX8 happily for the past 2 years, In fact i think it's the single best piece of music gear i've ever purchased. I've used it in every possible way that it allows.
I've never really engaged in the Kemper debate, nor have i wanted too.
Maybe I'm following a similar reasoning for buying the AX8. When researching the Fractal, i stumble across a band from Canada, Harem Scarem, I couldn't believe they never hit my radar, but i was hooked instantly and to this day, Pete Lesperance now happens to be a personal favourite guitarist. The United album was recorded using the AX8, that was it i went out and purchased the AX8.
Their recent offering 'Change The World' is epic and i believe he may have used the Kemper. The tones on the new album are fantastic, still polished yet different.
Moving forward......my want for the Kemper has reached a new high. I spoke with Dai Pritchard, a local guitarist that tours with Rose Tattoo, tells me has doesn't miss his Plexi's anymore....all Kemper, this coming from an old school tone hound.... that's enough for me on both fronts to want the Kemper!!!
Those that may have crossed over from Fractal to Kemper, how was the learning curve?
So....do i sell the AX8 to fund Kemper, will i regret selling?
Do i "Bite the Bullet" (pun intended ...thanx Harem Scarem) and upset the wife and add the Kemper?
I will use it in the same context as the AX8, so do i go Stage or Rack and board or Power Rack and board? I have a SD PS170 to use as a clean poweramp also.
Sorry for the long winded post.
Here's some Harem Scarem for you all .
:)

AndrewSimon

The Kemper is very profile dependent.
It might take some time to find the profiles you really like but once you find them it's heaven.
The other difference with the AXE-FX I used to tweak all the time, with the Kemper I don't.
I set up the Reverb and Delay the way I like it. I rarely touch anything else except the Distortion Sense in the Input section.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
I just moved from kemper to axefx3. UI is night and day different. Be prepared to relearn everything. If you find great profiles then you’re probably set. I needed more routing flexibility than I could do with my kemper.

lenster

The Kemper is very profile dependent.
It might take some time to find the profiles you really like but once you find them it's heaven.
The other difference with the AXE-FX I used to tweak all the time, with the Kemper I don't.
I set up the Reverb and Delay the way I like it. I rarely touch anything else except the Distortion Sense in the Input section.
For me tweaking is fun, but, can be tiring, when all you want to do is compose. In reality i'm similar in that most of my AX8 patches are Amp > Cab > Delay > Reverb…occasionally some EQ and OD for solos.

lenster

I just moved from kemper to axefx3. UI is night and day different. Be prepared to relearn everything. If you find great profiles then you’re probably set. I needed more routing flexibility than I could do with my kemper.
I'm bread and butter really, as above, i only really need amp, delay & reverb.

Billinder33

In my opinion, the Kemper's front panel interface is probably the most intuitive of any front panel UI out there. The computer editor is simple to use, as well.
I couldn't disagree more about Kemper's front panel interface. To me, it's a disaster. That said, my opinion on the front panel UI seems to be the minority here.

The computer Editor is great though. Excellent really. It literally changed my relationship with the Kemper. Massive improvement.

In terms of whether the OP should sell the AFX to buy the Kemper, IMO if possible he should buy the Kemper with the intention of having both for a few weeks to compare side by side, then sell the one he doesn't want. Priced correctly, either item should sell quickly on the used market, even in this lousy economic situation.

jjb

Silver Supporting Member
Had never heard of Harem Scarem - loved the video. Thank you for sharing. Great guitar player and great tone. You should get the Kemper.

gtr37

Last time i saw Scarem locally he was using a Fractal

Pete is a pretty cool guy shoot him an email on his site and he will likely tell you
What he used on the New record

lenster

Last time i saw Scarem locally he was using a Fractal

Pete is a pretty cool guy shoot him an email on his site and he will likely tell you
What he used on the New record
Yeah I’ve got the live at the Pheonix DVD, he’s using Fractal / Fryette rig into a pair of Marshall 412s.
They also have the clip for “Aftershock” that has Fractals in it. He likely still uses them.

lenster

Either way, I think I’m at the point of no return. I’ve been watching Kemper reviews and I will at least have try one !

ljholland

Silver Supporting Member
If that's the style of music you like, I'm sure that one or more of these profiles would do it.

Trending Topics