Kemper Plexi mix and match

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I did some experimenting last night because I wanted to see how well the KPA can mix different parts of profiles together and how deep things can be tweaked on the fly. This was late at night, through headphones but I have had just a short amount of time this am to play it through monitors. Honestly, I can't tell if it's too brash and brittle or if it's close enough for Rock & Roll. This is a 50 Watt Plexi DI profile that was done I assume to be hooked up to a power amp and cab (haven't tried that yet). I mated this with one of Tills Marshall cabs (I think a 2 mic cab?). I then tweaked a bit, not too much and added verb. The first clip is my LP Deluxe with P90 in bridge, Alnico Staple in neck and the second is my trusty all parts strat. I didn't do any volume knob stuff, all quiter passages are just pick attack. I have never had the chance to play a real Plexi so feel free to pick this apart and give me some pointers! Maybe it still sounds to DI? Please forgive repetition and clams, I was holding a conversation with my 2 year old during some of this recording
    :bow
    EDIT: I setup a lead boost to kick in on the second portion of each clip. This tightens everything up and provides more gain. I think this is standard practice with a lot of Plexi players.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/PLEXI-CR-LP2.mp3
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/PLEXI-CR-Strat2.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/PLEXI-CR-LP2.flac
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53671808/PLEXI-CR-Strat2.flac

2. ibanez270

ibanez270 Member

Gasp100 thats a great di sound. Hope I can sound that good when mine gets here!
    I have'nt heard to much about the effects. Can you add some delay with that Plexi?
    Thanks

3. Gasp100

Cool, I will try and do some more clips with delay for you and I also want to try some different Tills cabs to find one that might mesh better with the DI.
    I need to break in my speaker in my cab, or possibly at this point get a different speaker. I would like to start using some of these DI profiles with my analog / live setup. Many of the cleans sound great, but the overdrive stuff is horrendous becase my speaker is not broken in at all (I think)

4. xpenno

xpenno Member

Dude, are you sharing these profiles anywhere, your clips are awesome! Not just these, all of them!

5. fakeox

fakeox Member

Great stuff Gasp!

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It's amazing what a little FLAC can do for you. Everything I didn't like about the clips was eliminated in the FLAC versions.

In the MP3s the lower mids sounded artificial and slightly congested but in the FLAC versions they just sounded great...full, rich, and natural.

Well done! :aok

7. Gasp100

Thanks so much guys. These are really just tweaked profiles so I don't reupload them but I guess I could? I will this one because it mates the DI with a Tills cab, so that is a cool combo. To be honest I want to try out some more Tills to try and get this a little smoother first.

8. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Try raising a little the bias and the compression in the amp section, you can also reduce the definition a notch. Here it works