Kemper Profiler Stage vs Helix floor, which sounds better ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rawkfist93, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

1. Rawkfist93

Rawkfist93 Member

Which sounds better the new KPS( think that is the acronym people are using) or the helix floor?
    I am trying to pick between the two.
    I don't care about confusing menus and things like that. I am purely focused on which sounds better.
    Amps and effects. I want to use one of them as my whole rig when playing live.

2. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Most people are going to tell you Kemper amp/cab models sound better.

Some people (myself included) are going to tell you Helix effects sound better. Or at the very least, that they're broader in scope.

:munch

cabojoe, jrjones, Echophilia and 3 others like this.
  3. Rawkfist93

Rawkfist93 Member

4. mikah912

mikah912 Member

As a former Kemper owner and current Helix user, I can tell you neither has a monolithic sound. Not all profiles magically sound great, nor are all Helix amp models of the same quality. I have my favorites on each platform, but you will undoubtedly have more amp options with Kemper.

I would say Helix effects "sound better" to me aside from the reverbs.

But both can sound great. Is there a specific tone you're trying to achieve at all costs? Is amp diversity important to you? What genres do you play?

5. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Iwillnotparticipateinthisthreadiwillnotparticipateinthisthread........

Etc.
    :)

VCuomo, MIJLOVER, obeymydog and 25 others like this.
  6. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Both are good pieces of gear with their own pros and cons, and you can get good sounds from either one. I think it really depends on what is more important to you, the amp models or the effects. To me, Kemper has a bit of an edge on amps, because you can model any amp you want. But Helix has Kemper beat when it comes to effects...that alone killed any interest I had in the Kemper, but ymmv.

Johnny Ninefingers and mbenigni like this.
  7. Rawkfist93

Rawkfist93 Member

The genres/ tones I need (for different bands/projects) are, Big ambient reverb/swells, bluesy overdrive like a ts or klon into a fender kinda of thing, and good bass guitar tones, I play a decent amount of bass with one band. I play some metal and high gain stuff at home for fun but the main tones needed are those I mentioned.
    I don't use a lot of modulation just a lot of reverb and delay, and of course overdrive.

8. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Hmmm. That's a tough one because the new delays and reverbs on Kemper make it perfect for what you describe, but Helix is chock full of good Fender-y sounds, has more and better-sounding drive pedals and way more bass goodies.

I really like the Helix delays and it definitely has a number of spacey reverbs...I just prefer the complexity and modulation of the Kemper reverbs.

mbenigni and Rawkfist93 like this.
  9. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

I have both BTW. :)

10. Rawkfist93

Rawkfist93 Member

Then which one do you like the most ! help a man out.

11. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

The GT-1000 sounds better than anything I've tried (sorry, I know you didn't ask about this one). Haven't tried the Kemper yet but will once they have hit the used market.

Rawkfist93 likes this.
  12. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

The tube screamer on the Kemper is solid, but not quite as good as the one on Helix. The other overdrive's on the Kemper are pretty meh.

I don't love the blackface Fender tones on the Helix - they aren't as warm or bouncy as my Princeton Reverb. But they are good.

What you monitor through will likely be a bigger determining factor than the device in terms of which sounds "better". so if you are currently playing through an Alto, I'd probably say go with a Helix LT and throw money leftover at a better monitor. Which is a real guitar cab and poweramp :)

Funky Claude, spiral and mikah912 like this.
  13. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I will say that for bass, I think the Helix probably offers more dedicated bass features than any other modeler out there right now. It certainly helps that Ampeg is Line 6's sister company/brand.

danieloux, Darkness, mikah912 and 2 others like this.
  14. Rayf

Rayf Member

I would think the work flow is going to be a bigger concern than sound quality. I'd have a hard time believing someone couldn't be perfectly satisfied with the sound either rig produces but I can understand the argument if one doesn't like the Kemper interface for example. There was no learning curve for the Helix. For the Kemper, I tried for about 5 minutes and still had no idea what I was doing. Granted, this is a terrible comparison and probably doesn't matter once you spend your first hour with either piece of gear.

I've come close a couple of times to pulling the trigger on a Kemper rack but the idea of spending another couple hundred dollars on profiles doesn't appeal to me.

Elantric likes this.
  15. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Finally! A thread where we get to the bottom of this eternal mystery.

16. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Either way, you want me to be flamed, don’t you? ;)

The Helix is an incredible piece of gear. So versatile, so well designed. Can do everything and then some. I use it as a pedalboard into my Fender Vibrolux. I use it in 4CM with my Amp 1 or my Marshall Mini Jubilee. It can be a great recording interface, too.
    That's why I will keep using it.

That said, when it comes to the chore competence, the raw amp sounds, the profiling/modeling part, every time I turn on the Kemper I immediately think: Yeah, this is unbeatable.
    The Kemper is just a notch more instant fun, instant 'feel at home with my amp'.
    For me.
    I like the reverbs and delays on the Kemper a bit more as well.

My best advice regarding this is: don’t listen to me, or anybody else.
    Make up your own mind by playing both.
    I think this shouldn’t be a decision made in front of a computer reading a forum.
    Play them, take your time, then you decide.
    That’s the great thing when there are competitors.

Does this help? ;)

PJH, jjb, Elantric and 18 others like this.
  17. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Yes, absolutely, but there are many bass amps incl. lots of different Ampegs available on the Rig Exchange.
    That said, the Ampeg in the Helix is awesome and was put to great use on my band's latest album which is in print right now.

18. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

I've gone back and forth, favoring stock cabs for a while, then IRs... now I'm back to the stock cabs. Mainly, I'm too lazy to chase down the best IRs, keep them logically organized, deal with them when it comes time to upgrade firmware, etc. There may be IRs out there that are better than the stock cabs, and using them will certainly open up a wider variety of mic positions, etc. But in my personal experience, you can get some great results with the stock cabs once you zero in on your own cab and mic preferences.

I love pretty much everything about the Helix Floor. Ease of use, perfect complement of I/O, routing, switching, etc. etc. etc. And the effects are a blast - as fun as their "real world" counterparts (per my limited experience with those.) As for amp modeling - I'm as happy as a clam with dead clean, and equally happy with "teh brutalz". Fender Twin or HiWatt for the former and e.g. Revv Generator for the latter make me as happy as anything I've heard from any other device, inc. KPA. It's when I try to dial something in between, e.g. slightly overdriven Fender, Vox, etc. that I start hearing things in HX that I'm not too crazy about.

Iwillnotsaysquirreliwillnotsaysquirreliwillnotsaysquirreliwillnotsaysquirreliwillnotsaysquirreliwillnotsaysquirreliwillnotsaysquirrel...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:11 AM
  19. timowens316

timowens316 Member

Interesting first thread from a new member who just joined today, this is going to be fun :)

20. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Lately these threads are on repeat every week or so....
    Or is it me getting old? :)

creative360, Jim S, Jose7822 and 3 others like this.