Kemper Profiler Stage vs Helix floor, which sounds better ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rawkfist93, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

2. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

It doesn't help that we keep clicking on these threads and responding. To be fair, new users are likely to legitimately be asking for advice, having no history with the forum to realize:
    :horse

On the other hand, I know the answer to his question, but I am keeping it to myself. :anon

3. Nick Shephard

Nick Shephard Member

I’ve owned an AxeFX III and a Helix and currently use a Kemper. I was able to get both the AxeFX and the Helix to sound exactly like the Kemper. There is a cryptic answer to your question in there somewhere :)

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  4. TimH

TimH Member

I've owned both. Kemper for me. Maybe the others can get there but not as easily and not as readily. Find a profile maker you like and run with them.

5. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

We all know the answer to his question. We just don't know the same answer. ;)

6. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

With an amp model that's not in the Helix/Axe?
    Wow!
    Sorry for being even more cryptic. ;)

7. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

I have to say: if I could get a Helix to sound exactly like a Kemper, I'd run screaming from the Kemper. (In fact, I did so even though I couldn't LOL.) What made you choose the Kemper over the Helix? Do you actually prefer its UI and/or form factor?

Danzego likes this.
  8. Rawkfist93

Rawkfist93 Member

I have been reading gear forum for years but finally decide to make a thread when I couldn’t find one comparing these two units. Just want some opinions from others before I spend almost 2k.

FuzHarmonic and jou ma like this.
  9. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Christoph got to you... Can't trust that guy... :crazyguy

Nick Shephard likes this.
  10. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

I guess that's true - strictly speaking - since Kemper Stage has only been out for a few days. But if you consider that the Kemper Stage sounds exactly like any other Kemper...

There are probably a bunch of Helix comments in last week's "Axe FX3 vs Kemper" thread, too, but I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to sift through that. (Or this LOL.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Ingolf, Rawkfist93 and JiveTurkey like this.
  11. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

...and let me add you are not going to get to the bottom of it without just trying the units yourself. And let me also add your monitoring choice will potentially homogenize the living sh!t out of whatever you start with first. So. Many. Caveats.

12. mikah912

mikah912 Member

It REALLY will. Can't emphasize this enough.

13. dmock66

dmock66 Member

* additional caveat - both can be made to sound absolutely great/horrible

But I agree with JT here - as well as the fact that it takes a bit of time with either to get to the nuances that work for you.

14. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

Let us know what you get and how you like it for your tone. I use a AX8 for live use and feel no need to change.

15. timowens316

timowens316 Member

Fair enough, since all Helix versions sound the same and all Kemper versions sound the same (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you could simply do a search for "Helix vs Kemper", here are a few hits I found, maybe they will help answer your question.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...hx-stomp-matchless-test-just-for-fun.2039831/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...iler-vs-vox-ac30-real-amp-blind-test.2036678/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/anyone-traded-their-helix-for-a-kemper.2032851/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/a-bd-a-kemper-and-a-helix-today.2001497/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...mpt-kemper-bogner-alchemist-on-helix.2002452/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-owned-tried-both-a-helix-and-kemper.1986750/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...r-kemper-and-still-want-to-try-helix.1980920/
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...mind-keeping-helix-lt-selling-kemper.1969595/

FuzHarmonic likes this.
  16. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I play with two guys. One has a kemper and the other has a Line 6. To my ears the Kemper sounds better. Also, my pedals and amp crushes both ;)

17. Rawkfist93

Rawkfist93 Member

Yea Helix vs Kemper vs AXE vs (insert any modeling hear) is old I get that.
    Did not mean to bother anyone ( feel like I brought up some scars hahaha)
    I just wanted to compare these two specific instances in the idea of an all in one rig.
    I am also very happy with the comments people have made and learned some things.
    Play them both see what sounds better to me
    Make sure that my monitors or speakers are actually good quality
    Most people tend to think kemper has better amps and better reverb( since update)
    Most people thing helix has better effects
    Axe FX III is still probably the best( above my budget though)

lpr9 likes this.
  18. Danzego

Danzego Member

I’m another one who has owned both. The Helix is fun to work with and has a killer interface. However, I found that I prefer the tone of the Kemper. It’s just warmer and has a thicker more satisfying gain for what I do. Rolling back the volume and getting that nice crunch before turning it up and getting overdriven/distorted tones (a la Van Halen) sounded so much better through the Kemper.

Heavier distorted tones on the Helix reminded me of bacon frying. As good as the UI is on the Helix, if I have to mess around with stacking and balancing overdrive pedals and/or screwing around with high and low cuts in an attempt to cover that up as much as possible, it kind of takes away from the ease of use.

With that said, I’ll likely end up with an HX Stomp again someday (where my Helix journey began before going to an LT and then selling it). The effects are nice and you can’t beat the price to quality ratio for a nice multiFX pedal to put in front of a tube amp, being able to jam through headphones, and use as a recording interface to lay down ideas.

mbenigni likes this.
  19. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I own both since 2015. For a while I used them both together, and interchangeably, but now I only use the Kemper.

While it is true that you can make both sound great/horrible, for me the Kemper is more plug & play than the Helix. I spent too much time tweaking things in the Helix compared to the Kemper. And even when I got patches dialed in, the Helix never completely satisfied me.

Also, while the Helix has the more modern interface out of the two, I’m always puzzled by people who say that the Kemper is hard to get. If anything, it’s the closest to a real amp Rig layout than ANY of the modelers out there. Super straightforward, IMO.

As for the effects, the Kemper has better Delays, and definitely better Reverbs, than the Helix. The rest are either equal, and some like the drives are better in the Helix. You do have more variety of effects in the Helix. But the ones you mentioned earlier are all in the Kemper.

Regarding Bass tones, I’ve recorded Bass using both and neither of them disappoint. They’re both great for that!

It is untrue that you’ll NEED to spend money on commercial profiles once you buy a Kemper. The Kemper has a myriad of free profiles from the most notable commercial profile makers already included. There’s also the Rig Exchange, where there are more than 14,000 free profiles that you can easily audition without even loading them into your Kemper. Pretty much ANY amp you’d want, you can find. Back when I got my first Kemper, this was not the case. That was in 2015 though, lol. But today, you don’t need to spend a dime unless you want to.

Lastly, I agree with the guys recommending you try these devices yourself. It’s truly the ONLY way you’ll know for sure which one will work best for YOUR needs. Most people here have been in your shoes, so we know :).

Good luck!!