Kemper Profiler Stage vs Helix floor, which sounds better ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Rawkfist93, Aug 13, 2019 at 10:16 AM.

1. Johnny Ninefingers

Johnny Ninefingers Member

The chaps mentioning your monitoring choices have very good points.

If you’re not running things for live use ever, the Kemper looks the best fit. I run a Helix into a custom monitor. There isn’t another one and cloning it will be prohibitively expensive. I also run my Helix straight into the desk. Nevertheless if running into a desk or using headphones were all I was doing I’d opt for the Kemper, but I wouldn’t bother with the floor. The floor seems built for live use - in some respects form follows function and that reflects back form. I can see the point of the Kemper floor, but I can get my Helix to where I want it to be given my rig. Also my ears are probably a lot older than yours will be, so I may miss top-end intermodulation effects that some folk with bat ears can pick up. But my ears are trained, and I have decades of studio experience which help me tuning my kit to my satisfaction.

Try them both. Find a chum to lend you one for an afternoon. But as a caveat; if customer service and support are important to you, and the general ecosystem the device is part of matters too, then I think the decision flips. In this Line6 are really very good indeed. They are the market leader and pretty much the optimal model for service and support delivered by a modern company. If you have a problem Frank or one of his associates will help you out. The chaps at Kemper and Fractal care too; but Line6 just appear to have a longer reach and surer touch.

If you really want to know, someone like Fremen or Glenn can make any of the modellers/profilers out there sound utterly brilliant. If you are used to using the real thing or, if listening through phones, are used to hearing monitor mixes either may suffice. Workflow matters. If you have engineering experience, the Helix may be more to your taste.

hotrats73 likes this.
  2. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Agreed.
    Option anxiety on the other hand....

sixesandsevens likes this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

You're in at post #5. And... compared to many posts I read in the "which is better" threads, your post really is contributing a lot! I cracked a smile, which is of value. So... yep, you're vested now.

By contrast, my post is completely useless. Unless of course you get a kick out of it. Then we're both vested by proxy... or accident, or something.

4. Bigjay

Bigjay Member

I have a helix and the other guitarist in my band has a kemper.

Kemper mostly beats the helix in
    raw amp sound (much more choice and quite eazy to get amazing sounds in many different "flavors". The helix only sounds as good as your are able to make it, which for 99% of us human means 2-3 greats sounds). It also has an amazing downtuner

Helix destroys the kemper when it comes to flexibility and experimenting with more complicated signal paths (which is my reason for playing helix)

For everything else, they are trading shots.

mbenigni and Guitardave like this.
  5. motokev

motokev Member

Just get a nice tube amp and quit messing with the wannabes.

lpr9 and shizzaq like this.
  6. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

:facepalm

mikah912 likes this.
  7. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

8. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

By the time you buy the Kemper and a good power amp and cab you could have one hell of a tube rig. Not saying the Kemper and Helix are not cool but dang. Lol

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:36 PM
    motokev likes this.
  9. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

Well this dude is planning a live stream to compare the two, so everyone can hear for themselves.

Unless you just want to be told which one is better. To which - it's the one you already own or were planning on buying. Trust me, it's WAY better than the other one.

10. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

Helix kills it on bass. No doubt.

The second Kemper releases the editor, I'm buying, but half tempted to keep the Helix just for the great bass tones.

11. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

Same here. The Helix UI/UE slays anything on the market. The sound (to me) is inauthentic and digital... It just doesn't nail the attack, transient, sustain, and high gain like the Kemper.

12. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

This is true. I think Helix as a live amp, especially with Powercab has some serious merit, and the gap with Kemper is greatly narrowed.

Direct out to recording though, is where (IMO) Helix struggles the most. That includes listening through headphones and studio monitors.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  13. Billinder33

Billinder33 Member

Live / amp in room, this will almost certainly be the case. Nothing tops a real amp live, until you have to move it!!!

14. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

unless the sound guy MAKES you turn it down

you know it sounds bad at "1" and then you turn it up anyways,

and then the sound guy takes you out of the mix by:

turning you down in the mix, turning you off, or coming to blows

and then you realize, oh, that's why we are here now

yes, my Splawn Quick Rods, Victoria 20112 with NOS tubes Amperex bugle boys,

Goodsell 33 Custom and Super 17's all sound fantastic, way better than any Kemper or Helix

but I hate that the sound guys never let me even crank it,

even the Super 17 and it's only 17 watts

unless you are John Mayer, then you can do whatever you want

15. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I believe John Mayer uses a Kemper lol.

16. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

If you are John Mayer you can do whatever you want

17. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

You’re saying cranked amps sound better than the Kemper. Then you followed that by saying:

Therefore, he can play ANY amp he wants and crank it up... yet he chose the Kemper :).

If the point of your post is the same as what I’m saying, then it definitely didn’t come across that way.

18. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

Why not buy both ? It's unhealthy to only own one of anything.

19. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

For what? A single set?

20. Gl4th

Gl4th Member

The only “plus” I see in the Helix is the QUANTITY of effects not the QUALITY.
    For amp sounds...well, in a fake to real scale I would rank: Helix-Kemper-Tubes