Kemper Profiler Stage

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

My stage has gone back to the retailer for replacement. It developed some weird noise every 13 seconds that wouldn’t go away.

2. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I don’t know.

As long as one of the openings lines up with the vent, you should be ok.

It’s a similar feature, but not exactly the same. One you can adjust (The Amp Compression), while the other you can’t (Volume remaining the same as you adjust the Gain).

3. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Member

I wouldn't change it if I could, it's perfect!

Jose7822 likes this.
  4. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Agree!

5. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

I'd check with the manufacturer before removing the feet. Normally with 4 feet you get air entering the bottom of the unit from 4 sides.
    If there's no fan it's relying on normal convection cooling. Just having the unit inlet vent clear may not be enough if under the floorboard slot
    isn't open too.

6. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

No, this is because after dialing in clean sens correctly the perceived volume between clean and distorted sounds stays the same.

7. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

It directly depends how you have dialed in CLEAN SENS.
    Try how it affects the balance when you dial it in differently.

mbenigni likes this.
  8. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

As Eng. Kemper has explained, the Gain knob works and reacts as the output volume of a clean boost in front of the amp (can't remember whether it was in this very thread?).

9. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

My understanding was that the Clean Sensitivity parameter was meant to be used as an Input trim, so that switching from humbuckers to single coil guitars would result in the same amount of gain when playing the same amp/profile.

Here we’re specifically speaking of adjusting the amount of Gain in an amp, not the input trim.

10. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

From the manual:
    Different types of guitars produce different output levels depending on their pickups and string gauge: for example,
    humbucker pickups generate higher voltages compared to single coils, and active guitars generate even hotter
    signal levels. If you feel that clean sounds are either very loud or very soft compared to distorted sounds, you can
    adjust Clean Sens to a level where clean sounds have the same perceived loudness as distorted sounds. Clean
    Sens determines the volume of clean sounds, but not the way that the amp or the effects are driven. A guitar with
    low output level stays cleaner; a hot guitar will still distort more easily.

Cheers! ;)

creative360 and Jose7822 like this.
  11. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

You're right! I was thinking of Distortion Sensitivity. My bad :p.

That said, also from the manual:

“GAIN Knob (24)
    The GAIN knob controls the amount of distortion and covers an extremely wide range from ultra-clean to totally distorted. The Gain control allows for the same large range on all PROFILEs, even if the original amp has a more limited gain range.

The "Gain" parameter always compensates for loss in level, no matter how much you reduce it by. You can turn the gain value to zero for every Amp PROFILE, and the result will be a totally undistorted and uncompressed sound that has the same perceived loudness as the fully distorted version.

;)

Ingolf likes this.
  12. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

I got mine in yesterday. I have most everything set up. It was very easy. I did have a problem with mine freezing up. It wouldn’t do anything. Wouldn’t even power off. I had to unplug and power up again. I downloaded the latest firmware so hopefully that fixed it.

Jose7822 likes this.
  13. pickleweed

pickleweed Member

I'm hearing s number of issues going on with the stage. It's a little concerning. Hope they iron out the wrinkles soon

ButchR likes this.
  14. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Well, I got my Kemper Stage today!!

I did stumble upon the issue ButchR describes above where, after updating the Stage to firmware 7.01b, it freezes. Had to unplug the power cord and plug it back again to regain control. Besides that hiccup, everything worked as expected.

The Kemper Stage is a thing of beauty. Loving all the lights! I made my room look like a dark stage, with only a couple of blue LED lights on, and you can see everything perfectly. The reveal video made it look ugly, IMO (I even said as much back then, when it was first announced). This thing actually looks good in person!

The buttons and knobs feel better than the Rack or the Head. Maybe because it’s brand new? But the knobs definitely feel more sturdy than my other units. They have more resistance when turning them, in a nice way.

However, the highlight of all of this is how light my Rig is now. I’m currently using a crappy Gator bag I had laying around, which I’ll eventually replace with the official Kemper Stage bag or something else. But it is amazing to me how much lighter this feels compared to what the Head + Remote feel inside the Kemper bag. This was the sole purpose for purchasing the Stage and, so far, it looks like I made the right choice. I’ll give it a couple of weeks of gigging before listing my Head + Remote for sale, just in case. But yeah, very happy with this purchase!!

Well done Kemper team! Well done!! :aok

mbenigni, blandified, ButchR and 3 others like this.
  15. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

Are you on the Kemper forum? Wonder if this is being addressed over there.

Ingolf likes this.
  16. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I am, but I very rarely participate. Some people there make it unfriendly.

That said, I did see a thread where someone mentioned this issue. I’ll reply to that I guess.

mbenigni likes this.
  17. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Those are metal, aren't they?

18. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

That’s disappointing. Hope the replacement is trouble free. I’d be so all over this if it had a Bluetooth editor.

19. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Nice! Doesn’t seem like used prices on the toaster have fallen yet so I would list it pretty soon.

Jose7822 likes this.
  20. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I get the replacement tomorrow. The retailer is checking it over before sending it. Can’t fault them.

A Bluetooth editor would have been amazing. The editor is due out in the next 6 weeks or so. Personally, I find it fairly easy to edit on the unit, but setting up performances and inputting the names manually is a massive drag.

mbenigni likes this.