Kemper Profiler Stage

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

According to Kemper support this is on the list of things to be fixed.

Jose7822 and WBellman like this.
  2. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

I hope I’m missing something. But like I said earlier, I didn’t find it in the manual.

If I was gonna rely on the Editor then this wouldn’t be an issue. However, I need to be able to VERY quickly edit patches live. That’s currently possible, yet impractical in a live setting where there’s no time to waste. If the band leader says, “I need you to get this tone in this section”. I need to be able to get it up and running right then. Thankfully that doesn’t happen all the time. But it did happen this weekend and I had to manage with a different solution.

It wasn’t horrible by any means though. I got through just fine :).

3. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Awesome!!

Thanks for letting us know :).

4. WBellman

WBellman Silver Supporting Member

This is not a specific comment about any brand of any category of product - ftr this has been happening with digital guitar boxes now for decades - Every single new product is scrutinized by schooled engineers and industry specific marketing/consumer departments [these are the people who are suppose to have an accurate picture of what you and me, as consumers, want. Prototypes of the new product are taken home by staff to play with.... I mean evaluate over the weekend. Meetings are held. Discussions are had. Minor changes are made. More meetings are held. More discussions, etc. Then a 'Product Approved' form is passed around for everyone to John Hancock. Product goes to market and immediately something fundamentally obvious is highlighted by the average consumer. (not looking at you above average guys;)). Three decades in the biz (happened all the time with projects I worked on) and I still can't understand this.

You should see what it's like in that Monday morning staff meeting when the top dog asks everyone how something so simple could have been overlooked.
    [​IMG]

mbenigni and Jose7822 like this.
  5. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

LMAO! I can image :).

6. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

No copy/paste buttons? Fail.

7. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Actually the fail is not having the Stomps, Stack & Effect buttons available on the Stage. However, the solution I offer would mitigate their absence. I’m not sure why they were omitted since there seem to be room to accommodate them. But I don’t know the details, so there had to be a reason.

That said, the current implementation of Copy/Paste for the individual modules is actually pretty clever.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  8. SteveO

SteveO Member

I'm guessing that the thinking was that the floor unit would be programmed primarily with the editor, thus making the full array of buttons and knobs less necessary.

mbenigni, WBellman and JiveTurkey like this.
  9. JiveTurkey

I read the initial post about the button absence and didn't bother to read anything else :anon:D

Viabcroce and Jose7822 like this.
  10. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Except when you need to edit on the fly, which I sometimes need to do before a performance.

It’s OK. I’ve done that too :).

JiveTurkey likes this.
  11. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

I got the Profiler Stage first in line, but unfortunately it had a defective footswitch and the (Beta OS7) software had several issues as well.

... So I shipped my Stage back to Germany today and decided to get a refund. It was a cool unit, but I don't feel good paying 1600€ for a unit, that has both Hardware and Software issues.

Maybe someday I'll give Kemper a new chance.

Exiled_On_Main_St and benvigil like this.
  12. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Yep, it seems that they don't grab a prototype and just use it for a week in real life. The "mode" of the self you put on determines the way you think and the idea coming to your mind.

Years ago, I criticised some aspects of the Profiler as not having been implemented having in mind the real life of a guitar player. I was criticised in return by some, but still... for 7 years we have not been allowed to just tweak a preset and save it, just to name one overlook.
    I remember I had made a list...

Tramp likes this.
  13. JiveTurkey

Ugh. That sucks! I've read of a few issues on units out of the gate.

Drop the sun likes this.
  14. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

I am not dismissing your decision...however, has every new car you have ever owned been 100% devoid of issues? Have you never experienced a recall / safety-related warranty repair? The Kemper Stage software is already being updated, with bugs being fixed. Just sayin'.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    madbanjoman likes this.
  15. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Member

I understand a working musician not wanting to deal with an untrustworthy piece gear on a gig. As bedroom guitarist, I can deal with the bugs and returns. As a gigging double bassist, I would not be gigging with the Stage until I could trust it. Of course the Stage is overkill for what I do. I have dumped gear that behaved poorly at a gig. Nothing is more stressful than gear trouble at a gig. Had an amp squeal uncontrollably at a wedding. Luckily I can go full acoustic, but I had to pull the hell out of those strings to be heard!

Deuterium likes this.
  16. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Totally understandable. However, a defective momentary switch is easily remedied by requesting a replacement unit. Furthermore, I don't think any of the "bugs", which were present on the launch units OS, were of the type that would scuttle the successful execution of a live performance.

Again, I am simply making an observation that this would be another way of looking at the matter. I am not arguing against, or diminishing the personal decision of Drop The Sun.

Jose7822 likes this.
  17. blandified

blandified Member

My Stage should be here Thursday, I'll report back if I have the same issues as well.

Jose7822 likes this.
  18. blandified

blandified Member

Additionally, I saw the below case being used for the Stage. I bought a cheap used one and will give a review of the case too when it comes in.

I didn't feel like waiting for an official Stage case, as we all know how long Kemper takes to release stuff lol, as much as I love Kemper.

19. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Member

My Stage had the momentary switch problem and I am awaiting my replacement, but it didn't just not work. It worked, then it worked intermittently and then it failed completely. I actually had two switches end up doing this, and one that I suspected would have been next but I sent it back before I could find out. It worked most of the time, not always. You could see how with a replacement unit, it would take a few weeks of using it before you would be convinced that a switch wasn't going to start developing problems again. That said, I am sure that Kemper would have figured out what was causing this and not shipped anymore that had the problem out. They have too good a reputation to do anything else. Hence, I am willing get a replacement rather than a refund from them.

Jose7822 and Deuterium like this.
  20. JiveTurkey

Maybe instead of racing to "beat Cliff"; there needed to be some more testing done on these units? :dunno