Kemper Profiler Stage

EL84 Abuser

According to Kemper support this is on the list of things to be fixed.
This is not a specific comment about any brand of any category of product - ftr this has been happening with digital guitar boxes now for decades - Every single new product is scrutinized by schooled engineers and industry specific marketing/consumer departments [these are the people who are suppose to have an accurate picture of what you and me, as consumers, want. Prototypes of the new product are taken home by staff to play with.... I mean evaluate over the weekend. Meetings are held. Discussions are had. Minor changes are made. More meetings are held. More discussions, etc. Then a 'Product Approved' form is passed around for everyone to John Hancock. Product goes to market and immediately something fundamentally obvious is highlighted by the average consumer. (not looking at you above average guys;)). Three decades in the biz (happened all the time with projects I worked on) and I still can't understand this.

You should see what it's like in that Monday morning staff meeting when the top dog asks everyone how something so simple could have been overlooked.

Jose7822

No copy/paste buttons? Fail.
Actually the fail is not having the Stomps, Stack & Effect buttons available on the Stage. However, the solution I offer would mitigate their absence. I’m not sure why they were omitted since there seem to be room to accommodate them. But I don’t know the details, so there had to be a reason.

That said, the current implementation of Copy/Paste for the individual modules is actually pretty clever.

Jose7822

I'm guessing that the thinking was that the floor unit would be programmed primarily with the editor, thus making the full array of buttons and knobs less necessary.
Except when you need to edit on the fly, which I sometimes need to do before a performance.

I read the initial post about the button absence and didn't bother to read anything else :anon:D
It’s OK. I’ve done that too :).

Drop the sun

I got the Profiler Stage first in line, but unfortunately it had a defective footswitch and the (Beta OS7) software had several issues as well.

... So I shipped my Stage back to Germany today and decided to get a refund. It was a cool unit, but I don't feel good paying 1600€ for a unit, that has both Hardware and Software issues.

Maybe someday I'll give Kemper a new chance.

Viabcroce

Three decades in the biz (happened all the time with projects I worked on) and I still can't understand this.
Yep, it seems that they don't grab a prototype and just use it for a week in real life. The "mode" of the self you put on determines the way you think and the idea coming to your mind.

Years ago, I criticised some aspects of the Profiler as not having been implemented having in mind the real life of a guitar player. I was criticised in return by some, but still... for 7 years we have not been allowed to just tweak a preset and save it, just to name one overlook.
I remember I had made a list...

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Supporting Member
I got the Profiler Stage first in line, but unfortunately it had a defective footswitch and the (Beta OS7) software had several issues as well.

... So I shipped my Stage back to Germany today and decided to get a refund. It was a cool unit, but I don't feel good paying 1600€ for a unit, that has both Hardware and Software issues.

Ugh. That sucks! I've read of a few issues on units out of the gate.

Deuterium

I am not dismissing your decision...however, has every new car you have ever owned been 100% devoid of issues? Have you never experienced a recall / safety-related warranty repair? The Kemper Stage software is already being updated, with bugs being fixed. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

madbanjoman

I understand a working musician not wanting to deal with an untrustworthy piece gear on a gig. As bedroom guitarist, I can deal with the bugs and returns. As a gigging double bassist, I would not be gigging with the Stage until I could trust it. Of course the Stage is overkill for what I do. I have dumped gear that behaved poorly at a gig. Nothing is more stressful than gear trouble at a gig. Had an amp squeal uncontrollably at a wedding. Luckily I can go full acoustic, but I had to pull the hell out of those strings to be heard!

Deuterium

I understand a working musician not wanting to deal with an untrustworthy piece gear on a gig. As bedroom guitarist, I can deal with the bugs and returns. As a gigging double bassist, I would not be gigging with the Stage until I could trust it. Of course the Stage is overkill for what I do. I have dumped gear that behaved poorly at a gig. Nothing is more stressful than gear trouble at a gig. Had an amp squeal uncontrollably at a wedding. Luckily I can go full acoustic, but I had to pull the hell out of those strings to be heard!
Totally understandable. However, a defective momentary switch is easily remedied by requesting a replacement unit. Furthermore, I don't think any of the "bugs", which were present on the launch units OS, were of the type that would scuttle the successful execution of a live performance.

Again, I am simply making an observation that this would be another way of looking at the matter. I am not arguing against, or diminishing the personal decision of Drop The Sun.

blandified

Supporting Member
Additionally, I saw the below case being used for the Stage. I bought a cheap used one and will give a review of the case too when it comes in.

I didn't feel like waiting for an official Stage case, as we all know how long Kemper takes to release stuff lol, as much as I love Kemper.

madbanjoman

Totally understandable. However, a defective momentary switch is easily remedied by requesting a replacement unit. Furthermore, I don't think any of the "bugs", which were present on the launch units OS, were of the type that would scuttle the successful execution of a live performance.

Again, I am simply making an observation that this would be another way of looking at the matter. I am not arguing against, or diminishing the personal decision of Drop The Sun.
My Stage had the momentary switch problem and I am awaiting my replacement, but it didn't just not work. It worked, then it worked intermittently and then it failed completely. I actually had two switches end up doing this, and one that I suspected would have been next but I sent it back before I could find out. It worked most of the time, not always. You could see how with a replacement unit, it would take a few weeks of using it before you would be convinced that a switch wasn't going to start developing problems again. That said, I am sure that Kemper would have figured out what was causing this and not shipped anymore that had the problem out. They have too good a reputation to do anything else. Hence, I am willing get a replacement rather than a refund from them.

Bach1970

Supporting Member
I mentioned this before, but keep having problems with the stage : FREEZING
First, I thought it was related to being connected to the RM, but it still does it.

In Browse mode, just browsing through the rigs, the unit stops responding and then the screen just changes to : KEMPER PROFILER , it still plays the last rig selected, but becomes unresponsive.
Unable to turn it off - I just have to unplug it from power.

I will send the ticket to Kemper
Anybody else has the same issue ?

EL84 Abuser

Answer: Intermittent mechanical failures are the worst. Wouldn't want to be the production or QC manager at the factory that released that batch of switches for sale to Kemper.

A system manufacturer simply can't afford the time or cost to perform a 100% inspection of every single individual part that makes up the system. Depending on the type of part, and it's function, a percentage of parts are inspected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptable_quality_limit

A single switch not working is an immediate REJECT of the entire batch. Total black and white decision by the IQC dept. Toss intermittency in the mix and you can see how something like this can happen.

Jeopardy Question: How can I get a bad switch on a brand new product?

(this assumes the switch itself turns out to be the problem, and not software or a bad solder joint)

Last edited: