Kemper Profiler Stage

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jul 19, 2019.

1. WBellman

WBellman Supporting Member

Agreed. Especially since, in hindsight, they didn't have to run so fast.

JiveTurkey likes this.
  2. Bach1970

Bach1970 Supporting Member

I mentioned this before, but keep having problems with the stage : FREEZING
    First, I thought it was related to being connected to the RM, but it still does it.

In Browse mode, just browsing through the rigs, the unit stops responding and then the screen just changes to : KEMPER PROFILER , it still plays the last rig selected, but becomes unresponsive.
    Unable to turn it off - I just have to unplug it from power.

I will send the ticket to Kemper
    Anybody else has the same issue ?

Exiled_On_Main_St likes this.
  3. WBellman

Answer: Intermittent mechanical failures are the worst. Wouldn't want to be the production or QC manager at the factory that released that batch of switches for sale to Kemper.

A system manufacturer simply can't afford the time or cost to perform a 100% inspection of every single individual part that makes up the system. Depending on the type of part, and it's function, a percentage of parts are inspected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptable_quality_limit

A single switch not working is an immediate REJECT of the entire batch. Total black and white decision by the IQC dept. Toss intermittency in the mix and you can see how something like this can happen.

Jeopardy Question: How can I get a bad switch on a brand new product?

(this assumes the switch itself turns out to be the problem, and not software or a bad solder joint)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 1:23 PM
  4. Drop the sun

Drop the sun Member

Yeah, these things happen and so far Kemper customer support has been great. Nothing bad to say about the company.

But if you check the Kemper forum, you'll find there is some other HW issues as well. So for me the Profiler Stage had too many bugs and for 1600€ I personally won't be a "beta tester".

mbenigni, WBellman and JiveTurkey like this.
  5. blandified

blandified Supporting Member

Y'all are making me reeeaaal nervous about my Stage coming in lol.

My plan was to download everything from my Head to the Stage then turn around and sell the Head.

But I might need to keep the Head until I know the Stage is working properly....

Viabcroce likes this.
  6. WBellman

Nah. A good chunk of these things will be 'fixed' via connecting to the internet. Easy peasy.
    The more I think about it, the more I think the switch issue is software - again, easy fix.

Shipping stuff with too many beta issues inside is still not cool at all. I understand the rat race, but these guys gotta strike better balances with the good/fast/cheap paradigm.

blandified and JiveTurkey like this.
  7. Deuterium

Deuterium Member

Good point, and well said. I hear you, and I hear @Drop the sun . Especially if the issue has affected another footswitch, and the issue is intermittent and results in unreliable operation.

As I cannot possibly imagine that Kemper was using questionable or sub-standard mechanical switches...I am guessing that this may be an internal wiring issue. Either that, or it is some bug in the software that is messing up or preventing the OS from recognizing the change in switch state.

Cheers,
    John

8. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Member

I agree, the faulty switches didn't feel any different from the other switches, just nothing would happen when it was pressed. I would image the switches are the same as in the Remote.

Deuterium likes this.
  9. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

All this is quite interesting. I originally fought the urge to immediately buy a Stage, but was able to show restraint, and am now glad. All the Stage would have done in my case is make transportation a bit simpler. It looks like there are some issues that are hopefully correctable in firmware revs. I'm sure they will be straightened out in time.

BTW, the first Kempers had hardware issues, mainly the LED issue. They did get that straightened out. My toaster and remote have been basically trouble free for over 4 years (well, the remote for about 2 years). But this was my replacement toaster for the first one, a factory refurb that had a defective Alternate input. Stuff happens.

mbenigni and Deuterium like this.
  10. WBellman

Think about all of the switches we've used through the years. I don't think I've ever had an issue with one except the switch nut being loose against a housing. And that's everything from an AX8 and Kemper Remote, down to a $29 stompbox.

Deuterium likes this.
  11. telecast

telecast Member

Anybody know if the KPS lets u select between two delays in series or parallel?

12. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

There are several options on the matter, even as regards delay/REverb relationships . I'd suggest you d/l the manual from their site, it will be faster than describing the procedures

13. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Old and obscure (not unlike myself), but this used to be a thing:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 11:05 AM
  14. WBellman

15. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

A mini version of that has happened on just about every piece of software I've ever worked on. A whole slew of stakeholders, project managers, developers and QA test engineers have weeks or months to scrutinize things and then the inevitable "why didn't we think of that" BS directly after the release. Over the years I've gotten better at predicting what those kinds of things might be, but it's inevitable. I can only surmise it's because people are inherently lazy and prone to shifting responsibility to the next guy.

Sigh...it's been a long day. Friggin' Mondays! :)

16. WBellman

I agree, sort of. I often think that person D notices something simple wrong and assumes that person(s) A, B, or at least, C have already noticed it and are getting it corrected.

That and a whole lot of not being able to see the tree because a forest keeps getting in the way.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    MojoRisin likes this.
  17. MojoRisin

MojoRisin Member

Very well said. The way you put it is better and less likely to get one a crack on the jaw at the water cooler.

WBellman likes this.
  18. Oliver Rector

Oliver Rector Member

I’ve been fortunate to not have a single issue with mine, but I know what you mean. I just happened to have enough money saved up already, thanks to Fractal dragging their feet when it comes to showing any sign of potential to ever release the floor unit they announced in January. When I saw Kemper announce at NAMM, and then release the damn thing three (maybe four) days later? I knew I’d be taking a chance and might be one of those tickets waiting for my
    New unit to be fixed and shipped back to me. But thankfully I got my
    Stage a day and a half After ordering, and have not regretted it for a minute. Always been a Fractal dude, and I still love my axe
    Fx 2 And I plan on getting the fm3 when they release it in third quarter 2023 or so.. but as far as the sounds of this thing.. it’s admittedly different than a Fractal, of course, and honestly I prefer it. All the profile packs I’ve bought sound amazing. The effects and clean tones are butter, and the high gain Fortin Meshuggah-y/Bogner Uberschall-y profiles are so much easier to dial in a sound I’m happy with than with the Fractal, even using their software. Just so many different options with Fractal, I end up overdoing it, whereas kemper opted for fewer options but made sure all of them are powerful in their tone shaping abilities. And pair that with the cab maker I just learned about, and now I can use my Ownhammer IR’s in the Cab block??

God it’s a great time to be a guitarist with a need for space saving high tech toys, and a lack of self control and who is foolish with their money... sign me up and take
    My Money. I’ll eat ramen for a month straight if it means I can have sounds like this and be able to play while my Son is asleep in the next Room.

benvigil, Jose7822, MKB and 3 others like this.
  19. WBellman

Incredible savings when you buy it in bulk.
    I'm guessing you might know this already.

20. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

People need to buy a cheap can of black spray paint and spray those multi coloured knobs. Looks much better.