• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

kemper profiling experiment - clip inside

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
Most people who do kemper profiles close mic them. I wanted to see how much an effect there would be on different rooms, profiling with a single mic close to the cab. Here's the stuff that didn't change:

Mesa Mark III Coli head into a '72 Marshall straight cab (stock)
Audix i5 mic, 1/2" away from right bottom speaker, straight on, same placement each time. Checkerboard grillcloth makes repeatability easier for sure.
I used the same cables to connect the mic to the kemper and the speaker cable too from amp head to speaker cab. Refined each profile the same way too afterwards.

Clip below has three riffs from a Whitesnake song - when it repeats, that's a different room. Any comments? Oh, guitar used was an EJ strat with a humbucker in the bridge.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/okstrat/three-different-rooms[/SOUNDCLOUD]

jdunn

They all sound good! Nice riffing too.

So you used the same setup, but put the cab/mic in different rooms? They sound really close to me, don't think I could tell one from the other. Then again, you might find that one just sits in the mix better than the others, who knows? Or maybe I need to listen on bigger studio monitors.

My Kemper just arrived a few hours ago. I'm going to read the manual for a minute before I boot it up. Eventually I'll make some profiles. I've heard of some profiles being too crunchy and close mic'd, so I'm planning to make some with plenty of headroom and ambience.

I was just looking at the Audix i5 today. Might have to get one. Definitely more top than a 57.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
I hear no differences.

I don't think the profiling process will take in delay or reverberations. I've noticed more difference in the preamp used, guitar used, the mic used, any OD or Distortion FX in the chain, and how many mics, using 1 or two of them.

Mic placement is also big. Where vs the cone and at what angle.

The model takes in parameters from the Amp's profiling. And there is no parameter for the effect you hear of the room in the model. These last two paragraphs are conjecture and from what I can remember reading.

BWebb

I'm confused. How would you pick up differences in the room with the speaker mic'ed that close? With the mic 1/2" away, the room sound will be minimal.

jdunn

I think the OP was trying to see if there were audible differences when close micing only, and answer seems to be "No".

On another note, I just played the Kemper for the first time. I'm very impressed. We've come a long way since my first Zoom in 1992. Can't wait to profile my Dr. Z Route 66 and my buddy's Supro.

Swampash

I think I detect a decreasing level of dynamics, from the first to the last...and maybe a bit of difference in the mids too. Could there have been, even a small difference in the mic location?

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
Any difference in mic placement is minimal, as I used a stand that was very tight and the mic was carefully moved with stand to each different cab placement. I also measured the same spot each time. If there were differences in mic placement, they were as minimal as I could make them with the gear I have at hand.

I didn't really notice much of a difference either. I tried three extreme differences - my studio/guitar room is carpeted and has guitars and stuff on the walls and amps/cabs everywhere, so it's fairly dead sounding. The short hallway I also used had a stairway that has a bit of a slapback to it, and of course a small bathroom with tiled floor, and the amp facing a tiled bathtub/shower is even more reverby.

I had read threads where folks were talking about how they did profiles in recording studios/treated rooms and they sounded better. IMHO from what I did here, I don't think you're going to see much of a difference at all close miked, and that's what 99% of profiles are.

jdunn

Yes good experiment. :aok

The only reason to profile in a studio is to use ambient mics in a nice room... or if you have no recording gear... or angry neighbors.

I think you might hear a difference had you used a mic with a figure-of-8 pattern, such as a Royer 121 ribbon. The rear, out-of-phase lobe should pick up some room characteristics.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom