Kemper Profiling Question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by enigma, Feb 18, 2012.

1. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

I'm on the fence whether to buy Axe-Fx2 or Kemper right now. I really like the idea that I could create my own amp with the Axe-Fx2, but I love the relative simplicity and the idea of profiling with Kemper.

That said, does profiling mean to "copy" a particular setting of an amp? Meaning, if I get 6 tones out of an amp (clean, clean+, OD, OD+, hot, hot+) would I need go through 6 processes of profiling, and have 6 presets?

Do you also (need to) profile the same amp with a single coil and humbucker guitars?

Does Kemper have its own version of Axe-Fx's MFX-101 foot pedal? How do you guys change presets on the fly?

Also, how does it work with actual pedals, i.e., reverb, tremolo, delay, etc. Thanks!

2. Professor Tweed

Professor Tweed Member

"That said, does profiling mean to "copy" a particular setting of an amp? Meaning, if I get 6 tones out of an amp (clean, clean+, OD, OD+, hot, hot+) would I need go through 6 processes of profiling, and have 6 presets?"

In theory, yes. But I find there is some leeway in turning up the gain on a profile, and more so in turning gain down. A lot can be done with the deep editing on both cabs and amp.

"Also, how does it work with actual pedals, i.e., reverb, tremolo, delay, etc. Thanks! "

Extremely well. My OD pedals sound like they would into a real amp but have always sounded bad into vst amp sims. Got a great sound when I put my Peavey Valverb into a loop as an fx.

3. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Enigma, I'm on the same fence as you. Both units sound great from everything I've heard. The differentiator to me at this point is product maturity.

The Axe has been around nearly 5 years, has a dedicated footcontroller, a solid user base to learn from, and has just about every imaginable feature on it. Plus, the owner/developer has shown remarkable dedication to improve the product regularly and for free.

The Kemper is new, but shows a lot of promise. More effects, options, and a foot controller are all rumored to be added. Being an early adopter here could be a very fun and rewarding experience.

With all that said, I'm still in the middle and considering which way to go.

4. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

I agree with this. I think the weakness (for me) for Axe-Fx is the User Interface design, or lack thereof. It's not very intuitive though the Axe Edit does help. But, that's the thing. One needs to plug into a computer to really edit. At least we all have the real thing to play through and standby ~~~

Most likely, I'll be waiting for Kemper to mature as a product as you've noted.

5. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I own both the KPA and AXE II, If I could only buy one today, I'd buy the AXE II, I don't find the AXE II complicated to program, depends what you want to do, basic patches are very easy to program, now if you want to do very complicated patches then yes it will take a bit more work, but with it's Axe Edit, it's still not complicated, the KPA does have the knobs and it's really simple to edit, but remember it doesn't have all the effects of the Axe II, or the possibility of routing etc, so it's a lot more limited, the idea of Profiling really works, and if Fractal adds that to the AXE II,(like it's been mentioned on the forum) then nothing out there will beat it, but it's your choice, for now my AXE II will stay, and the KPA too, but when/if Fractal adds the profiling to it, i'll just keep the Axe II and get rid of the KPA, the combination of modeling which is pretty awesome on the Axe II, + profiling for those who also want to profile their amps, and the dedication and support to the AXE, will be impossible to beat in my opinion.

6. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

Then, I'll get the Axe-Fx 2 :)