Kemper profiling the Axe-Fx, comparison video

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tgp100, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tgp100

tgp100 Member

I know that the unique and main feature of the Kemper is to profile real amps + cab & mic.
    However, it can do a great job of copying and profiling modelers and software amps as well for those who like that.
    I have found lots of profiles of modeler patches uploaded on the kpa forum,
    mostly from Axe-fx II, 11rack, pod hd, guitar rig, Scuffham S-gear, pedals, preamps...

Here is a video I found showing how quick the kemper can profile a patch from a modeler.
    Kemper profiling amplifier profiles the Axe-Fx:

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. fakeox

fakeox Member

Bottom line for me.. The last parts of this vid (even tho it's a Standard)underlines the overall diffs between the universes; The axe sinks into a mix, Kemper sounds like a tube rig. What's better? ymmv, etc..

3. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Member

This is insane!!! Love it. Incredible precision - thanks for sharing.

The Kemper basically cloned that tone in seconds. Absolutely amazing. Not sure why anyone would want a profile of a modeler rather than a real tube amp, but I get it for comparison purposes.

4. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Kemper flippin rules...

5. mmcm4

mmcm4 Member

Thoughts:
    1. The Kemper does a great job of profiling the Standard
    2. With the particular tone, I feel like it's easier to copy than something like an amp (or modeler) set on the edge of breakup where there's a fine line between clean and over-driven. I think is the hardest to profile (however I have heard some great profiles of this type of tone)
    3. I'm not sure you can profile a modeler and it somehow sound more like a tube amp. Usually you can't put junk in and expect to get something better out. It's possible that the Kemper has some sort of dynamics engine that helps, but I didn't hear it.

Overall, they both sounded great. I'm not sure it's the greatest comparison since it was an older generation Fractal unit and the tone wasn't complicated (in the way described above). However, none of this was the Kemper's fault and it did an excellent job of copying the tone.

6. suckamc

suckamc Member

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

Very cool stuff! Sounds great!

8. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

After listening to clips of the Kemper profiling the Axe and the Axe 'Matching' the Kemper it's interesting to see that each device retains its own voice even when it's profiling/matching the other device. Each device has a characteristic sound in the low mids - the Axe is thicker and the Kemper is a bit scooped. To me the Axe is punchy and the Kemper is more open. I'm sure you can eq it and fool me. But it is there.

In the OP's video the Kemper profile of the Axe has Kemper's signature sound, the Axe's Match of the Kemper on the FAS forum has the Axe's fuller mids.

What's clear is both are mind-blowing gear.

9. Bezzy

Bezzy Member

Wow, both are pretty amazing. Great riffing.

10. Yek

Yek Member

Impressive, sounds good.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. And I believe that those "signatures" are inescapable. But to most people, it's so close (especially in a mix or live) that it doesn't matter.

12. Armin

Armin Member

Exactly my findings when profiling the first 40 AxeFx II presets - the KPA was very close in 3/4 of the profiles - the others needed some more 'refine' to get them closer - but there is still a (small) difference.

The funny thing - in some cases did I prefer the copy.

13. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

The straight copy or the copy+tweaks?

14. tgp100

tgp100 Member

Here is a reply on the Axe forum about the tone and feel by Keith Merrow who did this requested test.

quote:
    "The dynamics of the profiled tone feel the same. They seem to respond the same with a volume roll-off, but that's hard to test for some reason.

As far as the whole "flat 2D/3D" thing: I re-amped a dry signal through both units and check the spectral analysis results. There is difference of less than .4db +/- across all frequency ranges. They're essentially identical. The differences between the clips in the video is more of a result of subtle differences in my playing, than the actual tone, itself. I don't even think a dog could hear the difference in the re-amped clips. For all intents and purposes, the tone is exactly the same- Depth, dynamics, "3D" and all.

Just to clarify, I have been a major AxeFx user and supporter since day one. I didn't do any of this to stab at the AxeFx. Kemper sent me the unit after NAMM, and after I profiled some amps with it, people asked me what would happen if I profiled my AxeFx. So, I profiled it. Being a long-time Axe user, I totally wanted the Kemper to fail here. But it did what it was designed to do. It cloned the tone, verbatim. It's pretty rad technology.

My personal opinion- Modeling a modeler that I already own is a waste of time, and totally redundant. While the Kemper is capable of doing it, I don't think the results are all that impressive. It works much better profiling an actual amp. I'm on the list (unless they kicked me off, haha) for the AxeII, and I'm super excited that it's getting the ability to profile. It really is a fun option to have!

I gotta say, Fractal has some of the most dedicated followers I've ever seen. I actually got hate mail for doing that video! That's awesome!"

15. Brick_top

Brick_top Member

Hate mail?... thats nice :mob

16. hanales

hanales Member

:spit

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've gotten more hate mail than you can imagine, from PRS owners that called me a heretic for playing Hamer, Matchless haters that thought I was driving speculation prices up on Matchless amps, Line 6 guys for buying a Fractal, and Kemper guys have fleeced me on various occasions though I've never said one negative word about the Kemper amp. I've had folks wish cancer on my children, I've had death threats and folks try to scare me by threatening to kick my ass. I've read plenty on the Kemper board about how no one could post anything positive about the Kemper here, it was only the Axe-FX... yet there are more Kemper threads than Line 6, Avid and Fractal combined here all running happily along. It's all silly, it's all juvenile. There is no need to demonize other gear or other owner groups. By owners of ANY and ALL boxes.

Seems it is par for the course if you 'enrage' any of the user groups any more. Nothing new, nothing novel about it. At the same time, let's not play into the stereotypes and make that the topic of conversation.

Of course it is silly to get 'hate mail' for doing a video, there is NO excuse for it. But let's not demonize all owners of Fractal gear because some fool posted something or sent a juvenile email. 99.999% of Fractal owners do not and would not do that; so don't buy the stereotype or characterize all Fractal owners in that way.

People acting the fool need to be called for acting the fool. Not 'grouped' because they own this box or another.

It's all silly. All the 'vs.' pitting owner groups really needs to get over itself; it is just gear, not religion.

18. 6strang

6strang Supporting Member

What Scott said...

19. suckamc

suckamc Member

I lament what Scott is describing. I hate that there will be another group of fanboys/haters here on tgp, this time occasioned by the kemper instead of the axefx.

Fwiw, it's the same thing in the video game console community.

In both examples, People just want to believe that they made the right choice in equipment. They will fight each other for that notion. That's all this phenomenon is. In the next day or so, I'll post why I made my final decision between the axe 2 and kemper that have been with me for over a week. Yet I hope the other machine becomes more and more awesome for its owners. It doing so doesn't change the tones I'll get from the other machine one iota.

20. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I had posted originally why I went with one over the other too. I decided to pull it because I already started seeing the camps form and battle each other and didn't want to feed into the color war mentality. They are both incredible pieces of gear and I highly recommend everybody if they can try both out to see which suits YOU best. And in the end, I don't think it will come down to which sounds better.