Kemper question

Question for you Kemper folks:

Have the folks at Kemper ever given any indication of plans to do a stand-alone, floorboard version of the Kemper? It's easily my choice in overall sound quality, but I'm not a fan of the "rack/lunchbox that requires a separate floorboard" form factor.

A floorboard with USB-to-laptop for editing at home would be awesome. Seems like a no-brainer win for Kemper too. I keep holding out hoping for it. Meanwhile I just keep playing my Carr Mercury - which is pretty awesome as well so I can hang on to my money until/if they actually build what I want.

Just curious if there's any reason to believe it's coming at some point. (This has likely been discussed, but my work keeps me from frequenting TGP very often so apologies if so.)

vltjd

Gold Supporting Member
Haven't seen that, but I don't spend much time on their site. Happy with my toaster, didn't care for the rack. For the record, tried an earlier version of the Axe, but didn't like the rack. Also have an AX8, and that works for me. So I'm with you. If Kemper made a floor only unit, it would be goodbye toaster, hello floor unit.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
So I know folks who are quite friendly with some international touring Kemper artists and I have heard tell of a floor unit coming but have no idea if it is legit. I also heard that Atomic is working on a way of loading Kemper profiles and Fractal patches. Not too sure that could even be possible but who knows. It is all 001101010101's anyway.

Reactions: jjb

Bikedude

Gold Supporting Member
So I know folks who are quite friendly with some international touring Kemper artists and I have heard tell of a floor unit coming but have no idea if it is legit. I also heard that Atomic is working on a way of loading Kemper profiles and Fractal patches. Not too sure that could even be possible but who knows. It is all 001101010101's anyway.
I would think Cliff and Christolph have some type of protection for their product.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
I would think Cliff and Christolph have some type of protection for their product.
Yeah was my initial thoughts as well. That on top of all the different algo's associated with what seems to be Proprietary ways of coding.

I don't know much about this stuff though.

Last edited:
I also heard that Atomic is working on a way of loading Kemper profiles and Fractal patches. Not too sure that could even be possible but who knows. It is all 001101010101's anyway.
That would require reverse engineering Fractal and Kemper's code and interpreting the patch bits.

Whoever told you that probably also has a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Madmax25

Sounds like somebody mistook profiles and patches for IRs... Since these could indeed be used on all 3 products.

And I hear you, I would love a floor board Kemper. Although I probably couldn't afford it, even I wanted to.

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't seen any authoritative info on Kemper making a floor unit. One could guess that a floor unit that only plays profiles would be an obvious product though. I bet there are a lot of Kemper owners that never create profiles, so that functionality in their Kemper is wasted perhaps. Could you make a profile player for significantly less money? And would such a unit cannibalize the sales of standard Kempers?

I was sold on floor modelers back in my HD500 days, and put off buying an Axe FX for that reason, but I have grown to like having a toaster where I can reach it during a gig and a midi pedal on the floor. I wouldn't change to a floor unit if Kemper came out with one.

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
I'd love a Kemper floor unit. I have the toaster and remote but I just bought the AX8 because of the purpose it serves. If Kemper made an all in one floor I'd have never even considered the Fractal.

Laimon

Have the folks at Kemper ever given any indication of plans to do a stand-alone, floorboard version of the Kemper?
Or, in other words, a Helix that sounds good? =P
Kidding, to each their own.
But answering your question: I don't believe there's any plan for that. It might be a bad thing under somebody perspective, but Cristoph has made it clear through the years that they packed the first hardware version to have a platform on which they could keep on adding functionalities for several years to come.
This is to say: don't hold your breath =P

You should contact Kemper and ask that. I don't think anyone has thought of that.
I'm sure it gets requested often. The question isn't whether anyone else has thought of it, but whether Kemper has ever publicly indicated any interest in producing it. I ask because

1) I don't keep up with the industry very closely
2) numerous competitors of theirs have produced such a product since the Kemper was introduced and, given churn, plans change. For example, MSFT just announced they were porting their database, SQL Server, to Linux. That was unthinkable just a few short years ago. :) I'm sure Ballmer is chewing holes in a Clippers jersey just thinking about it. At least I hope he is.
3) it's the primary reason I've never purchased one

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like somebody mistook profiles and patches for IRs... Since these could indeed be used on all 3 products.

And I hear you, I would love a floor board Kemper. Although I probably couldn't afford it, even I wanted to.
That's what I figured as well. makes the most sense.

Trending Topics