Kemper "Space" effect for Headphones ...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JerEvil, Feb 18, 2015.

1. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Is this a system setting you have to turn on? I use headphones on occasion but don't seem to notice and "widening" effect.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

it's an effect that you can add to your rig. it's placed at the output after your amp and is in stereo. I don't find it to be a particularly wide sounding effect

3. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

I owned the Kemper about a year ago, and for me, the space effect was incredible and made playing while listening they headphones , difference of night and day. It made the sound so much better that it was a pleasure playing thru headphones... That just came out at the time, I know they changed a few things, but all I can say is for me, it was one of the best additions to the Kemper at the time.

4. jeff5x0

jeff5x0 Member

Hit output soft button, navigate to page 5, theres a box you can tick and a volume knob for it.

5. JerEvil

Did a search and found this:

A few firmwares ago, Christoph added a parameter called "Space" that was mainly for the headphone user.

1. Push the "Master output" button.
    2. Go to "Page" arrows and page over to I believe the last page.
    3. You will see the word "Space" .
    4. Rotate the knob that has a line corresponding to space, and turn it up... I usually turn it way Up ...
    It just makes the headphones a pleasure once you do that. At least for me. The high end leads sound so much better and fuller. Of course, depending on the profile, and your taste, may be different. Give it a try.

Is this how you added it? I know there is the "Wide" effect but that was not what I was after.

6. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Love the space effect! Totally makes the playing experience even better!

7. jzucker

no, i added it in the effects section. what you're talking about will effect only the headphones. I wanted it on for stereo speaker cabs too which is why I put it on in the effects section. I'm not so impressed with it for stereo cabs, maybe sounds better with headphones?

8. db9091

db9091 Member

It's for headphones. The idea is to give a room-like reverb. Most profiles are very dry and we are used to hearing an amp through the reverberation of at least a small room. This approximates that effect.

Sometimes I play dry, but sometimes I really dig the small space it gives a profile. Thing is, it's global, so remember to turn it off when you are testing out new profiles. Best to hear them dry IMO.

But if you want a similar effect to set for individual profiles you can put an EQ Widener or Reverb effect on and STORE it.

9. jzucker

if you want a similar effect you can just add the space effect as an effect.

10. db9091

db9091 Member

Oh that's right, they've added it as an effect now. Forgot that. I don't because I typically use reverb post recording so that it blends with the rest of the reverbs I'm using in a mix.

I like to control such parameters later and not have them baked.

That said, sometimes it sounds awesome to have them baked, but those tend to have a delay-reverb mixture and are in stereo so they hang in their own area of the mix.

11. jzucker

anyone else notice how bright the kemper sounds over headphones? Wish there was a variable low pass filter for the headphone output. Maybe I just need darker headphones?

12. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Very soon! Kemper confirmed they will add high and low pass to the studio EQ!

13. JerEvil

Nice!

14. jzucker

cool, where is that announced?