Kemper, Strymon or BluG Amp1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SkyTwn, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:43 PM.

1. SkyTwn

SkyTwn Member

Thanks for your response and picture!
    I'll try both (if I can), to be sure and I'll decide. I must say I'm leaning more towards the Amp1 but we'll see.
    Then if I'll end up choosing the Amp1, I hope you won't mind me asking you some suggestions on setting both of them (Helix and Amp1) midi!
    Also, how do you think it would react to a 2x12 cab with V30?

2. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

Look at the Black Spirit 200 Floor by Hughes and Kettner. I am a tube guy, but needed something portable. I love this thing. The app is great on the Ipad to control it and make changes. I am using mine with a Line 6 HX FX in the loop and it also has 2 programmable pre loops. Red Box DI out and 6 or 8 speaker Sims. I love it.

Also you have 200 watts at your feet, and pushes a lot of air.

The Law and SkyTwn like this.
  3. The Law

The Law Member

+1 on the Black Spirit 200. I would choose that over a modeler any day of the week because it feels like a tube amp when I play it. (Subjective of course), but I only get along with something if it has a "responsive" feel...hate when it seems like I'm in the booth next to sound engineer listening to his 8" studio monitors and the amp is in an ISO box two rooms over. That is my experience with the Helix, not that you can't get usable tones out of it or any other modeler. The Black Spirit 200 and BluGuitar Amp1 are different (and superior, to me..) in that way alone.

kebotrans and SkyTwn like this.
  4. kdm1218

kdm1218 Supporting Member

How good is something if you need EQ before and after? :dunno

The Brit P75 on Helix is my new personal favorite amp model. It cleans up beautifully with a Strat neck and rolling back volume. Enough so that I used that tone on much of a church set Sunday morning with the whole clean to edge of breakup type thing.

SkyTwn likes this.
  5. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

It’s good if it the best sounding amp sim you’ve used and cleans up really well. As a plexi player, I require it to clean up well. Plus the helix plexi models sound awful. I bought an hx stomp. Still have it, but I only use it for effects.

SkyTwn and kdm1218 like this.
  6. kdm1218

I like the Plexi jumped model, but tbh I have also never played through the real tube version. So I realize that could certainly change my mind about it.

SkyTwn and GaryMcT like this.
  7. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

I have a 68 plexi clone running through SRL-IR for comparison. The Iridium with eq makes me not bother to use the real thing most of the time lately. Right now I’m using an HX Stomp in front of the Iridium in stereo for pre-eq and drive pedals with eq, room sim, and reverb on a UAD interface. Sounds glorious. Wish I could get this sound from one box, but it’ll do for now.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    SkyTwn and kdm1218 like this.
  8. Phopper

Phopper Member

I hated the helix amp models and immediately fell in love with the Iridium.

GaryMcT, SkyTwn and kdm1218 like this.
  9. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

While I don't hate modelers, I have to agree that they're not the same as using a real amp like the Amp1.

I was thinking more about this and have a theory.....I think what's going on is that modelers need to use some sort of low-pass filtering to remove digital hiss. That seems to kill the upper harmonics you hear on a tube amp. Just an idea.

SkyTwn likes this.
  10. kdm1218

That’s why it’s great to play guitar in 2019, there’s something that will work and be fun for everyone ;)

It was more just a “be aware”... how many threads are there about trying to go modeling and hating it and going back to tube amps. And many of those note the “feel” and dynamics and being able to hear your amp right there behind you. It’s a deal breaker for some and others find ways around it. But not knowing what all OP’s background was, some people have dove in only to complain that a modeler in IEMs or PA or whatever monitoring system is not the same as their amp in stage, and that’s correct, never will be.

SkyTwn likes this.