Kemper Tech Specs

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by t3oi, Feb 10, 2012.

1. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Have any of the hardware specs for the Kemper been released? Specifically, what type of processor(s) and available memory for expansion? I have not found anything on Kemper's site or the forums.

2. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

3. tgp100

tgp100 Member

4. t3oi

On Tony McKenzie's review, when he has the Kemper open at 2:20, you can see a Samsung
    chip that looks like the K4S281632K-UC/L75 chip, which is a 128Mb K-die SDRAM Specification.

5. tgp100

tgp100 Member

Tony tried hard but couldn't open it up completely.
    I'm sure someone at fractal has disected the kpa piece by pice.
    I guess more info will come soon.

6. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

In my opinion specs don't mean much, it's good to know but that's about it, what's important is what come out of the speakers, and the KPA seems to have a very good sound, based on the clips i've heard.

7. tgp100

tgp100 Member

+1
    The hardware seems much less important in the Kemper than in the Axe.
    Programing, algorithms and special sauce matters of course.
    They are also built to do different things from the ground up.

8. t3oi

Where they will make a difference is the effects rumored to be added to the device, the complexity of patches that can be made, routing options, and even multi-amp patches (if that would ever be an option).

I have no doubts that the Kemper sounds great, but the specs are important for future expansion of the unit without having to change hardware platforms.

9. fakeox

fakeox Member

Haven't heard of any "out of memory" or the like messages.. That is usually a good indicator it is robust.

10. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

That's true I agree, It's probably a good idea to always buy a digital device based on what it already comes with when they start shipping, as far as effects etc, chances are they'll add some more stuff, but usually they try to show how much it can do right from the start, so I would not expect many more effects, and more advancing routing, probably just what they've already announced like pitch effects and maybe a few more minor things, but i don't know, it probably uses most of its power for playing back the profiles..we'll see.

11. fakeox

fakeox Member

Dunno, since this is meant to be a long term box & it isn't C Kempers 1st try at a world class unit, chances are good it is ready to pull a little more weight. What do you feel it is missing right now?

12. suckamc

suckamc Member

Then the $1850 price point is a death trap for it, assuming the Axe II ends up with a killer profiling ability. It's only $350 cheaper than what most consider the most powerful effects processor (both in the quality and the routing-prowess) on the market. If the Axe can do what the KPA does, but the KPA can't return that favor, then a nice price drop might be in order to keep sales going (and, hey, no one currently occupies the $1500 price range in the modeling market).

13. mpr

mpr Member

Is there a cooling fan in it?

14. shasha

shasha Member

^^^Don't think so.

But like tgp100 said they are built from the ground up to do two completely different things. The AxeFXII's method obviously requires quite a bit of horsepower; doesn't mean that it's the only way to skin a cat.

Not to go off topic completely, but just how many ways are there to skin a cat and why on earth would you want to? Now profilng a skinned cat would be a huge selling point for me.

15. fakeox

fakeox Member

Price point can point in a lot of directions. It seems like you are assuming it will be tougher for Kemper to implement some new fx than the Axe to get profiling into an existing platform. When Kemper planned his unit he probably left room for any fx setup imaganable a year ago. Nothing in fx has changed since then.

Is there a cooling fan in it?

Don't think it needs one.:bounce

16. webe123

webe123 Member

WOW! and the axe fx guys say the kemper guys are reaching? You are reaching dude! That may be wishful thinking on your part, but I highly doubt it will come true. It sounds like you are hoping the kemper will fail! Dream on brother!

You don't even know what the axe II will sound like with profiling! It was not designed for that, so you have to keep that in mind. Why? Because Cliff at the time simply did not think it was that important....until a lot of people started dropping their orders for an axe II to get a kemper.

NOW he has done an about face and be it because of profit or whatever turned him around on the subject, the fact remains he STILL did not think much of profiling...... until he realized how many people wanted it!

The kemper failing at it's own game? I really don't think so, but time will tell.

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It's like deja vu.

Or... a merry-go-round.

Or... both.

Again.

18. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

It's a self-licking ice cream cone.

19. fakeox

fakeox Member

Soooooooooooooo? Kemper tech spec anyone?

20. webe123

webe123 Member

That is going to be another important question. How "available" will the axe fx II be when the kemper starts to sell?

The people on the fractal forums have said that when even the first Axe FX (ultra) was released, that some people waited up to a YEAR to get that unit. But the axe really did not have a high end product that could compete back then. SO...people waited.

It will be interesting to see if kemper starts selling at sweetwater or musicians friend and you can order one anytime, if people will still hold out for an axe II or go for a kemper because it is available and the axe II is not. Or you have to go to a hokey fractal store page that may or may NOT have an axe fx II in stock. (Usually NOT)

I know that cliff has resisted the idea of mass producing axe fx units because he is concerned with quality control, but if the kemper starts to take off and also has mass production with the units, it might not be a bad idea to find a way to make more axe fx II units faster.