• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Kemper users: what are you using live for effects?

MrMoose

Interested in getting a kemper to use live, one thing I'm curious about is whether or not the on board effects are top notch or whether I would be better off using effects from an Eventide H9 or something. The other question I have is what's the best way to control all of this (amp sound changes on the kemper and effects and possibly pedal changes in a rack)... Help!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Started a long reply (into thread hijack territory) and decided to stop myself :D Effects on the Kemper are excellent. I would love a kemper remote but in all honesty; I will just use my Boss SY and an incoming FS7 to scroll through performances and activate delay and the fx loop.

journo

I honestly see no reason to use external fx with the Kemper for live use.

Fact is I usually track with the built in fx, except for delay and reverb which I want to have complete control over in the final mix. There are exceptions and that's when I want to use some of the new cool and somewhat unique delay fx in the KPA. Then I will track with delay.

Cheers,

Mats N

sbrett

For the most part I use the effects in the Kemper. I do run an Eventide H9 in the loop for more of the exotic stuff.

twangbanger

With the new delays in the 5.0 software I'm content with using just the effects in the Kemper. The reverbs could be better, but overall it works really well all by its self. All the other effects are good and with an expression pedal on your foot controller you have wahs and tons of other capabilities. To be able to walk in a bar w/ a 13lb rack, foot controller and running direct. It sounds amazing and is way easier on my back!

FusionRock

The Kemper effects are really good. I use them exclusively except for wah.

The only weak things:

Overdrive and/or distortion pedals. You might like your own.

Wah pedal. The built in wahs vary (some are very good though). My Fulltone Clyde reacts much faster than using an expression pedal for the Kemper wahs.

jmillion

With the control pedal I don't think there's a need for any outboard FX. It has some really interesting fuzz generators in the boost area, not to mention a solid colorless boost for both pre and post. The delays are more than I'll ever need and the modulation and pitch FX are surprisingly good.

burningyen

Back when I was a Kemper user I was very happy with the Kemper's built-in FX (with the Fuzz Face and Univibe FX being fine but not quite as strong as the other FX, and with the occasional need for a talkbox and reversed-wired wah for Gilmour's "seagull" wailing sound). I used to have a separate patch for each sound in the setlist and used a 2-button footswitch to navigate up and down more or less step-wise through the setlist.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Just get the kemper remote and simplify your life.
Yeah, that's all I use, with 2 expression pedals. Works great, simple. If I had to use outboard effects, I think I'd just use an amp and pedalboard. One of the best things about using the Kemper is no longer having to consider and buy pedals.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Been playing through the Kemper for a bit this evening. Delays are stupid good as are the rest of the fx. Hardest part for me now is boiling it down to a few presets for my base guitar tones.

Viabcroce

+1 for not needing outboard fx, but of course you might have different tastes or needs.

As for controlling the unit, you can go a long way with just an expression pedal and a double switch, if you don't need to jump unsequentially from a sound to another and don't need\want to (de)activate fx besides what's already in the patch. It works, I've done it for months. Remember that you can create sequences of up to 5 sounds in a row called "performances" for playing a single, specific song if you need

Of course a Remote, the dedicated switchboard makes things easier. Just keep in mind that:
  1. it's got no pedal
  2. you can't (ATM) use it by assigning each footswitch to a specific effect globally, that is across the patches.
HTC :)

Afcollett

Don't usually post here, just retired my last pedal the Strymon El Cap due to the insanely cool new delay effects.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom