Kemper users - which poweramp/cab

Sid

I've only used my KPA through studio headphones so far. I'm downsizing and selling my badger so the KPA is gonna be my main setup. I do prefer playing without headphones on so I'm considering a poweramp/cab setup, in the hopes of getting a real amp feel.

(1) What is your KPA setup like? Which poweramp/cab/FRFR
(2) How does said setup compare to real amps in terms of dynamics, feel etc
(3) tube vs solid state poweramp - thoughts?
(4) am i going to miss my badger?:cool:

cheers
Sid

Viabcroce

Hey Sid,

among the poweramps I'd suggest Matrix and Camplifier (assuming you're using the lunchbox format).
But users have reported satisfaction by using several different amps, even a HH 44 Magnum if you do not need high pressure levels.
As for tube amps, some prefer them, but I'd use a very linear and transparent one (which might be a tube amp nevertheless).

I'm currently using active cabs: two AA CLRs as my main rig, and a small FBT Amico 100 when at my second home.

If properly amplified and diffused, the KPA will sound spectacular! And this means faithful to the profile you're using.

If you're fond of a specific sound signature you can use a guitar cab as well. Of course the variety of sounds is heavily limited in this case.

HTH :)

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
I use the Matrix 1x12 with the poweramp in in. It sounds and feels great. My bandmate plays Fenders and victorias And I just as good.

atson67

I know some guys might disagree,but Personally I see no point in using a guitar cab and a tube amp with the KPA. To get the most out of it you should get an active full range cabinet.
I use a yamaha drx10 and it sound pretty good. There are other options of course , like QSC or atomic.

goodkungfu

Silver Supporting Member
I actually use the return channel of a mustang 3. It can sound amazing believe it or not. I have a CLR and in some instances I prefer the mustang. Good cheap option if you want to try the amp and cab route.

FRFR has it's own sound, however good it is as you're listening to the entire signal path, mic, mic pre and all. That's a different sound than many are used to. It's the sound you're listening to when you listen to a CD or whatever but if you are used to a certain response from a guitar can it can be jarring, even with a top notch monitor like the CLR.

I'm going to rent the mustang 4 and rig it for stereo to see how that sounds. You can grab them used for relatively cheap. They are loud enough for drummer dutys and you have a built in backup.

I would like to get a matrix amp and 2x12 setup in the future. I've also heard the ISP stealth can be a good power amp choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
I really dig it's sound through FRFR. But I do put it to my guitar caps using a SS power amp (cheapie) just to get a different flavor and more booming wall shaking bottom end. I CAN shake the walls with an FRFR, but it's not the same kind of frequency bump. Different, not worse or better.

I use the ISP for SS PowerAmp.

KEEP your Badger, profile it, and see if it collects dust. You got 30 days to return the KPA to the shipper, but KPA gives you 45 days total. So use that time and see how often you choose Badger over KPA.

If you decide to keep the KPA, keep the Badger another month or so until you are sure you won't regret it. THIS is an important step. The outlay in cash difference is small compared to having Sellers Remorse!

goodkungfu

Silver Supporting Member
I really dig it's sound through FRFR. But I do put it to my guitar caps using a SS power amp (cheapie) just to get a different flavor and more booming wall shaking bottom end. I CAN shake the walls with an FRFR, but it's not the same kind of frequency bump. Different, not worse or better.

I use the ISP for SS PowerAmp.

KEEP your Badger, profile it, and see if it collects dust. You got 30 days to return the KPA to the shipper, but KPA gives you 45 days total. So use that time and see how often you choose Badger over KPA.

If you decide to keep the KPA, keep the Badger another month or so until you are sure you won't regret it. THIS is an important step. The outlay in cash difference is small compared to having Sellers Remorse!

Hey,

I saw in another thread that you had the stealth and 2x12 with v30 and heritage combo. I was going to ask how you find that setup? Is the stealth loud enough for keeping up with a drummer? Does it impart too much personality of its own?

The mustang pwramps are pretty neutral and the 3 has a fairly good celestion in it. It's honestly pretty good. :)

Sorry for any thread derailment OP.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Hey,I saw in another thread that you had the stealth and 2x12 with v30 and heritage combo. I was going to ask how you find that setup? Is the stealth loud enough for keeping up with a drummer? Does it impart too much personality of its own?
Not a professional, but in my experience, yes, transparent. You get coloring in my experience from tubes and SS tend to be more transparent for the lack of them.

BUT... the cabinet makes it NOT transparent at ALL. And so you have to tweak each and every profile that you want to use to make it usable with a real guitar cabinet. No prevaricating about the bush on that count! ;)

Is it loud? Hell Yeah. I don't even have it up to half and the acoustic guitars are ringing on the walls, the tambourines are rattling and falling off their hooks, the old used wine bottles with candles are creeping to the edge of the shelves hoping to drop on my head. It can keep with a drummer no problem.

First, the Kemper has a huge amount of gain and volume possibilities and the ISP has a huge amount of gain.

TheAmpFactory

Is it loud? Hell Yeah. I don't even have it up to half and the acoustic guitars are ringing on the walls, the tambourines are rattling and falling off their hooks, the old used wine bottles with candles are creeping to the edge of the shelves hoping to drop on my head. It can keep with a drummer no problem.
Then your not loud enough surely? - it aint rock'n'roll if nothing aint broke!! :)

(Sorry back on topic)

Having the Kemper + Poweramp + cab is great if you are not fussy about realistic tone, i.e If you load a vox profile and your cab is running say V30's, then it wont sound like a vox much. - if your running a certain type of amp suited to the speaker in the cab then its worth it. otherwise Atomic or (other products) are worthy for sure.

One thing you can do for now, plug your moniter out from the kemper to your badgers return, disable the cab sim (under output) and see if you like the vibe, it will still carry the dynamics of a real amp, but may or may not sound perfect due to the speaker loaded. but for testing purposes it will offer you a chance to figure out what you want.

db9091

Gold Supporting Member
Then your not loud enough surely? - it aint rock'n'roll if nothing aint broke!! :)
Well, your Honor, I plead the "Knofler Exception", which states that it CAN still be rock'n'roll if I have:

"a blister on your little finger"

pfrischmann

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking of going this way. Variety and authenticity is important to me.
If running through a power amp and guitar cab, do you guys turn off the speaker simulations?

I would think that would mess with the integrity of the profile, since the amp you are modeling wasn't sampled with amp and cab separately.

goodkungfu

Silver Supporting Member

If running through a power amp and guitar cab, do you guys turn off the speaker simulations?

I would think that would mess with the integrity of the profile, since the amp you are modeling wasn't sampled with amp and cab separately.

This may be technically true but it still sounds totally kick ass. ;-) I turn off the cab in the monitor output for running my mustang, then I run the main outs to FOH with the cabs on obviously. Takes a bit of balancing but you get best of both worlds. The FOH sound is awesome as is your monitor mix but you have the feel of a guitar cab for personal monitoring.

New profiling superstar Michael Britt (;-)is doing it this way if I'm correct. He runs his monitor out into the return of a 5150 though and then into a 2x12. Gotta try them profiles, they should rock out of the box for me.

Don't worry Andy, still loading up with TAF. ;-) my main rig is your JTM.

goodkungfu

Silver Supporting Member
Not a professional, but in my experience, yes, transparent. You get coloring in my experience from tubes and SS tend to be more transparent for the lack of them.

BUT... the cabinet makes it NOT transparent at ALL. And so you have to tweak each and every profile that you want to use to make it usable with a real guitar cabinet. No prevaricating about the bush on that count! ;)

First, the Kemper has a huge amount of gain and volume possibilities and the ISP has a huge amount of gain.

The mustang has a fairly personality free speaker as well as a fairly flat power amp I'd imagine, though I could be wrong. The gas in me wants to upgrade to matrix amps, birch ply cab with v30s and all the bells and whistles etc but I have a feeling it won't be light years away from the mustang. And it won't have a built in backup. Gear snobbery wants to see my KPA on an awesome green port city cab but common sense may prevail. ;-)

The CLR is an awesome monitor no doubt, it's loud, faithful and well made. Jay and atomic did a terrific job, but I tweak when using it and hate some profiles through it which others love. When going to amp and cab route everything sounds much more similar but everything immediately sounds more familiar and dare I say "better" for my tastes. YMMV and all that.

I'm not too concerned about authenticity regards the amps either. A vox profile through the mustang sounds like a vox but not exactly like a vox. It has vox flavor but not exactness. It all sounds great. The CLR it sounds like a miced up Vox though.

I still own a handful of killer amps and use them regularly. I LOVE my Kemper and use it when I can't have any stage volume - for cartage/ cost purposes.

I use it most on sessions when I need great tones - quickly.

Sid

some great solutions...I've got my amp up for sale, if noone bites i'll probably keep it and run the kemper through it from time to time....

I think i understand the FRFR vs poweramp cab debate now...FRFR is gonna be an accurate reproduction of the profile....

while that is great...i am looking for more of a real amp feel so perhaps the power cab is the way to go...i do not mind that the flavor of the profiles get changed....in fact i might even prefer it...i like variety...

combined with the badger's power scaling...it could make for some interesting tones:beer

Viabcroce

In most cases, the error you make (in terms of faithfulness to the original profile) is bigger keeping the simulation on: it's like mic'ing your cab and sending the signal to another guitar cab.

Having said this, I've played with some guitar cabs where the sound was much realer with the simulation on :/

:)

Viabcroce

No reason, actually.
This amp has got a line-level input, which is perfect for the Profiler. I see there's also a DI for the PA, which hopefully keeps the loudspeaker active for monitoring purposes.

The most meaningful thing with more or less linear amps is... linearity. So if it sounds faithful it's ok :)

But I have to say that it's hard to not find a way to make the Profiler sound very good, with whatever solution. It's just a matter of finding the right profiles/tweaks for each situation.
My FBT Amico sounds vastly different than the CLR, but I've got a collection of rigs I have a lot of fun with when I use it at my second home.

Of course, if what you seek is a great sound in all the situations, with faithfulness to the profiled amps and the fx, a very linear and transparent amp/loudspeaker is the way to go.

Sid

I'm thinking i'm just gonna get a poweramp and run it through my 1x12 avatar with G12s.

I don't mind the flavor that cab adds.

Now for a slightly different question - How do you add more of the tube warmth to the kemper sound....

perhaps this? - http://fryette.com/valvulator.html

Viabcroce

?

pretty sure when you hear the Profiler "on air" you won't feel the need for any Valvulator...

What would be the use of spending so much money and have to buy another device in order to make the other one sound good?! Buy a POD then, and save a lot!

:D