Kemper users - would you buy a Kemper in 2018?

NickoO

The KPA is still one of "all the great alternatives" today, so of course I would.

Would a Fender Twin owner buy a new Twin in 2018? :dunno

It's mad isn't it. Or maybe just mad to me.

How much technology improves every year, and Kemper is still hanging in there (or even beating) with some of big boys

VCuomo

It's mad isn't it. Or maybe just mad to me.

How much technology improves every year, and Kemper is still hanging in there (or even beating) with some of big boys
But isn't good (or great) tone from 8 years ago still good (or great) tone today? Plus the KPA was designed to capture pretty much whatever tone one wants, so it is always "evolving" (via new profiles) over time by the very nature of its design. IMO, in terms of tone it should always be able to hang in there or beat the big boys. :)

NickoO

But isn't good (or great) tone from 8 years ago still good (or great) tone today? Plus the KPA was designed to capture pretty much whatever tone one wants, so it is always "evolving" (via new profiles) over time by the very nature of its design. IMO, in terms of tone it should always be able to hang in there or beat the big boys. :)

You're exactly right! From what I can tell, apart from QoL improvements (editor etc), it seems the effects are one of the only gripes people have about the Kemper

howdy-doo

I bought one a few weeks ago, no regrets. Doesn't look like the unit will get a version 2 in the near future (sounds like ever depending on who you ask) so it's still as good as ever

Without further context, I would say most likely yes, but there are a slew of caveats involving money, focus, work, etc. etc. etc.

shizzaq

Silver Supporting Member
I recently got a Kemper Powerhead because the gear stars aligned. I wish I would have had one years ago. I bought an AX8 when they first came out. To me for what I like the Kemper is way better. The Kemper sounds just like my tube amps mic’d up. The tweed champ and deluxe models in the AX8 never sounded right to me. The first time I strummed a tweed champ profile on the Kemper from Michael Britt and one from the exchange I was like yeah that sounds like a tweed champ. I recently borrowed a friends 1954 5D3 tweed deluxe and did some profiles of it. The sound is spot on. I could not tell the difference. The delays and reverb sound great to me too. Somehow I like them better than the fractal stuff. The modulation sounds especially the Univibe are not great I hope they improve that one at some point.

guitarman_1

Gold Supporting Member
Ive played the Kemper for the last 4 years, and would buy one again without hesitation. Nothing in the modeling world comes close tonally. Its as good as the real deal in most cases. I cant say that about all the others, and I currently own a Fractal ax8 too, and have owned, the AA 12, all the Axe Fx versions including the III, and have played a Helix quite a bit. Form function, the rest are light years ahead, but that's it. They don't quite have the feel, or tone of my mighty green toaster.

Last edited:

SteveO

The two shortcomings (for me) when I bought mine in 2014 were the delays and a lack of a spring reverb. Since both have been rectified above and beyond what I would have wanted, I would have even less hesitation to buy one today than I did back then.

martinrawlins

Why don't you do it over today? Sunk cost?

I did exactly this and it the best gear decision I ever made (with the exception of some minor operational niggles with the OX that are nothing in comparison to the terrible GUI of the Kemper!)

Bentayuk

Well I bought one in 2018, and it’s by far the best unit on the market. Same as it was in 2012.

PJH

I've been an amp guy for many years and then tried the HD500X. I managed to get great tones out of it. I then switched to a Helix which is what I still use in the studio. Three weeks ago I was given a Kemper to try out and was blown away.
Even though I only had it for a few weeks I used it on one of the tracks for my next album. The video of the session can be seen in this thread.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27539558/
I had to give the Kemper back last week and it was with a lot of regret. I'd love to own one.

martinrawlins

A used (unpowered) KPA in good condition might sell for just enough to buy the OX.

Regardless, the comparison is OX + a great tube amp. I sold my powered KPA and replaced it with OX and a Two Rock SP35 head. I already had the matching cab. It’s not even close. Real spring reverb, no scrolling through presets, no LEDs, unbelievable tone that you can twist a real knob and really change without worrying that you’re deviating from the profile too much, drop dead simple to use, and it takes fuzz ;-)

I've been an amp guy for many years and then tried the HD500X. I managed to get great tones out of it. I then switched to a Helix which is what I still use in the studio. Three weeks ago I was given a Kemper to try out and was blown away.
Even though I only had it for a few weeks I used it on one of the tracks for my next album. The video of the session can be seen in this thread.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27539558/
I had to give the Kemper back last week and it was with a lot of regret. I'd love to own one.

Tasty blues playing Peter! And nice tone. I agree with your assertion that between the KPA and the Helix you could have it all.

Reactions: PJH

Trending Topics

Top Bottom