Kemper vs Attenuated Real Amp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by cdtabman1, Feb 11, 2012.

1. cdtabman1

cdtabman1 Member

I'm a bedroom guitarist but still obsessed with sounding as good as possible. I'm thinking of:

a/ getting a Vox AC30HW Head and Cab and a Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator. I'm sure that will sound awesome and give me to option of taking it to gigs in the future.
    b/ getting the Kemper and running it through studio monitors at home.

I'm guessing the Vox will sound better, but how much better? Any ideas?

Thanks

2. fakeox

fakeox Member

The Vox would be a kickass 1 trick pony, The Kemper has all linds of tricks. You might want to look around for some Vox profiles & decide from there..

3. cdtabman1

cdtabman1 Member

Thanks for the advice. Haven't heard many Vox profiles yet. I guess they'll start to come through as more people get the Kemper.

4. fakeox

fakeox Member

What is your fave Vox flavor, TB, pentode or normal?

5. cdtabman1

cdtabman1 Member

6. fakeox

fakeox Member

Maybe post a request for clips?

7. richpjr

richpjr Member

I used a Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 for a couple of years as my bedroom amp and it was far too loud for that. I put in one of those Eminence Maverick speakers that has an attenuator built right into the speaker and that was just what I needed to be able to push the amp so it sounded good at low volume.

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Between the two I'd go for the Kemper.

It will sound much better at lower volumes and has many more tones to offer.

9. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

People have a deep rooted fascination with blinking lights and knobs. Smart Phones, Blackberries, Smart Pads, X-Boxes etc. Music gear is no different. So, we'll spend thousands on gear that replicates, models or profiles other gear. We love gadgets. I have closets full of the blinking light stuff.
    But sooner or later, we get curious & dig out the original amps & pedals (if we didn't sell it all for a song) and say "Hey, this old stuff sounds better" My cycle right now is diggin the real stuff, but I'll pull out the blinking lights in a few years.

10. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Get the Kemper and a cheaper "real" tube amp to plonk around on(maybe the new AC4C1).

11. webe123

webe123 Member

Sorry, but your blanket statement does not work for everyone. I have left my all tube mesa boogie at home when I play out because I dig the axe fx ultra so much.

It has nothing to do with blinking lights but everything to do with a great sound AND ease of use hooking it up to a PA system.

Different strokes....

12. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Well Said. Great point. I'm back to real amps as well, but I play out so that's an issue as well

13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

This may very well be the case, but speaking for myself the reason why the vintage Marshalls and Fenders stay in storage is because they ARE NOWHERE as consistent or easy to lug around as a small rack with your have box of blinking lights. Especially when there is air travel involved.

14. mindseye

mindseye Member

Glad that works for you, I played my recto half stack yesterday for the first time in 3 months for 5 min..........hated it, whent back to my AxeII and all was good again.

15. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

Recording:
    Kemper, its pretty amazing how it can sound like the real amp micd up, and this will only get better. You can get a very realistic killer sounding playing and recording experience without having to play loud. Most amps will sound better recorded with some volume, attenuated or not. Doesn't have to be super loud, but moving at least some air is gonna make the recording come a bit alive. But even at low to moderate levels, amp sound tends to travel much further then we would expect, low end etc.... Kemper rules.. I honestly think you will be amazed at how real and good it sounds.

BUT if you are wanting to and going to play out, then I would suggest the real amp. if its only for bedroom noodling to without recording, then get a pedal or two for drive and just play the amp quietly.. should be fine. with the kemper you will want a pair of good studio monitors for it to sound better

16. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Kemper has a profiling video from last summer with Dave Cleveland and his Matchless HC 30, did that profile make it into the Kemper? It has a great Vox vibe.

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I can work with pedals/amps/cabs or run modelers direct to FOH. Different experience. Personal preference? Amps are fun to blast, but wrought with all sorts of issues you won't recognize until you've successfully run FRFR for a spell... then the limitations of even the best amps comes out.

Horses for courses... subjectively speaking, I'd pick my rig over most any other on the planet at this point because I designed everything it does exactly the way I want and I can have it perfectly dialed in in any room, anywhere, be setup in 5 minutes and do that from the smallest club to the biggest festival stages, acoustic or electric guitar - same rig. I get hired because I can do things other guitarists with 'real stuff' cannot hope to do unless they have insane rigs with cartage, roadies and techs. I can roll my micro cart in one trip. I dig hooking up with guys with attitudes like yours and having them check my rig out for about 30 minutes. Response is usually... 'whoa'.

It's all good man; but it ain't about the pretty lights or hundreds of 'meh' tones. Rigs on this level of gear are inspiring, tactile and organic as hell.

:D

18. mdme_sadie

mdme_sadie Member

Speak for yoruself Scott, absolutely it's about das blinkenlights! Sound quality schmound policy, no one cares about that stuff, but you can't put a price on the awesomeness of how you look in a fog of dry ice with a friggen' flying sauce landing behind you!

19. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Give me BLINKING LIGHTS!

20. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Everything in my world loves "Blinking lights"...i'm flipping over the Kemper firstly because of the lights...lol...I would go either Axe FX II or Kemper for consistency of tone night after night (especially the Axe FX as its been proven to be very reliable)...Any of us that gigs or gigged roughly 4x weekly knows the time restraints you come across, and how we realize while gigging that our power tubes are on the way out on stage. Maybe halfway thru your set your losing power, punch, tone etc. I know with the Axe Fx the consistency is there. I'm sure the Kemper will be as well. If you gig 1 or 2x a month, its a lot easier to maintain your equipment. I know if i was gigging tomorrow my analog set up is staying home. I'm gigging in stereo with my axe FX II w/MFC101