Kemper vs Positive Grid Bias Head!!!

ShaunOsovs

Haven't had a chance to watch it entirely yet, but judging from the YouTube comments it looks like Kemper stole the show. Not surprising, BIAS head is half the price.

mbenigni

I love Positive Grid, but they kind of screwed themselves out of a customer when they sold me their entire iOS line for like $40 or whatever I paid. :)

ShaunOsovs

I have BIAS FX Desktop and think its great for quickly trying out ideas....then I take those ideas and 'perfect' them on Kemper or Helix and use that in my recordings and live. I wasn't impressed with their iPad app too much, hated being nickel and dimed for every stomp/amp. I have no experience with BIAS head but wish them nothing but success in the long run. The more companies doing amp modeling and succeeding means lower costs and better products for all of us in the long run!

mbenigni

I wasn't impressed with their iPad app too much, hated being nickel and dimed for every stomp/amp.

The trick is to ignore the in-app purchases altogether. (I admit I spent a few bucks before taking my own advice LOL.) I think I paid $25 for Bias Amp which, with the right interface, delivers most if not all of what's on offer in their $1K preamp head. I got a similar deal on Bias FX, and their tape emulation (RE-201 clone?) alone is worth the cost of entry.

ColdFrixion

In terms of sound quality (not feel) the Kemper came across as a bit more organic and alive. One thing I like about the Kemper vs. BIAS Head is that it can store 1,000 presets, which is far more than BIAS Head. It also has an LCD screen and allows users to tweak everything in the box. The Kemper doesn't have an editor yet while BIAS Head does, which is definitely a plus for BH.

ShaunOsovs

The trick is to ignore the in-app purchases altogether. (I admit I spent a few bucks before taking my own advice LOL.) I think I paid $25 for Bias Amp which, with the right interface, delivers most if not all of what's on offer in their $1K preamp head. I got a similar deal on Bias FX, and their tape emulation (RE-201 clone?) alone is worth the cost of entry.
I have to believe that BIAS Head is more than just the iPad app with a 600W power amp in a head format. IF that is the case, the price point should be much lower and their product sales would probably soar.

WiresDream

The production on these Andertons videos is getting worse. The voice over should not be louder than the bloody guitar!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I have to believe that BIAS Head is more than just the iPad app with a 600W power amp in a head format. IF that is the case, the price point should be much lower and their product sales would probably soar.
I would hope you are correct on this as well. If not; ugh.

ShaunOsovs

In terms of sound quality (not feel) the Kemper came across as a bit more organic and alive. One thing I like about the Kemper vs. BIAS Head is that it can store 1,000 presets, which is far more than BIAS Head. It also has an LCD screen and allows users to tweak everything in the box. The Kemper doesn't have an editor yet while BIAS Head does, which is definitely a plus for BH.
Bluetooth>iPad tweakability is a huge plus. Certainly very attractive, and their GUI is very easy to understand/operate. I'll give them that. But I'd lose those in an instant if it made my patches sound better or more authentic.

mbenigni

You're almost certainly correct. But I've put that question out a few times and never got a definitive answer either way. Presumably the converters etc. in their h/w are high quality, and there's a lot to be said for h/w encoders and switches. But I've never been clear as to what improvements (if any) were made to their actual amp modeling algorithms from iOS to desktop to hardware.

In any case, the iOS apps are enough to sate my curiosity, they're fun to tweak, and you get all of the conveniences that software brings to the table. (When I need hardware, there's Helix now, where Line 6 has done all the heavy lifting in terms of footcontroller integration. Best of both worlds.)

Tried them both. Its not even close-Bias Head has some serious issues in design and their support is awful. Kemper without question.

I agree. I'd buy a Kemper before a BIAS Head before even plugging one in, based on PG's crappy support. I own most of their software, and getting answers from them that actually work is like pulling teeth.

Sencha

Why do they always have the gear so far away in those videos. Can't see what they are doing. Talk, talk more talk. Move on.

edit. Watched some again and the problem with the Anderton's video is it is both too long and not long enough at the same time. I'll explain. Too long because they talk too much, and not long enough because they only scrape the surface of what this tech can do and I have no confidence that they know how to use it anyway. They ain't experts.

Last edited:

TimeSnow

Every time I hear that BIAS head I just assume it was rushed out the door for some "unrelated to its quality" issue, because it sounds awful. And I hate to think someone said, "That! That's a guitar sound that's gonna put us on the map!"

More like, "lets cut our losses, and if it happens to do well we'll revisit the idea in a few years".

ShaunOsovs

After watching the video I firmly believe that Positive Grids BIAS Head is competitive in a hard rock/Metal environment....which seems to be where they are aiming their marketing efforts towards. Now, that being said, Kempers tones won every comparison to my ear. But BIAS did come close in the Mesa sound, and they even stated that in the video. Kemper still wins (for twice the price, it should!)

I'll also add in that BIAS Head has an amp matching feature (similar but different to Kempers profiling ability) that was not explained or demo'd in this video.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom