Kemper wha?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by beavisguitar99, Feb 7, 2012.

1. beavisguitar99

beavisguitar99 Member

So the Kemper is out and about now. It profiles amps and seems to do a fantastic job at it, but I guess my question is why even bother profiling? Why doesn't the Kemper just come with a large portion of amps already profiled and ready to go....you know, similar to a modeller? I know it comes with some profiles but why not expand on that? I personally don't have access to a large amount of tube amps to profile.

Does the profiling take the room into account? If I profile an amp in a studio will it sound different once I get the Kemper home and play it there? Are amps profiled based on their current settings?

Any word on how it handles high gain?

2. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

I am thinking probably for patent an copyright reasons they just can't release it with Tons of amps profiled out of the gate. But I could be wrong

3. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

The KPA ships already with a lot of profiles , and a lot more are available on the K-forum. At the moment the list is hovering by 700 rigs and growing daily.
    Hi-Gain seems to make happy a lot people ( not my stuff, I leave it up to somebody else to comment). The mic positioning and the cab have the biggest influence on the final result (not much on the quality as on the "flavour" of a profile).

Assuming you amplify the KPA at home the same way as in studio, the profiles will sound the same. (actually they do anyway...)

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I was interested in the KPA despite it being more than I typically spend on a single piece of gear. But that statement is all I need to know that I need to stay far away from it. The open ended nature is certainly cool, but until there is some sort of indexing, categorization, and ranking system of shared profiles that kind of mess is not the type of thing I want to wade through. It takes long enough to run through the models in the RP and HD to really learn them and get them dialed in.

5. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Well, this is another difference to modelers, to dial a sound in takes really short (less then 5 min once you get in to it) and you don't need to wade through all of them. In the same time that I've need earlier to chase and dial a specific sound in to the HD500 I can now audition 40-50 profiles, dial to my taste the 4-5 that I choose and I'm left with playing time to get the tune right. No need to learn how the models beheaves, no funny or weird surprises, the profiles are exactly like the respective tube amps

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

i have had the KPA since new years and i have downlaoded @ 6 profiles whats comes with the unit is enough to keep me sounding great i have not even begun to use any of the deep functions. i have owned all of the top tier modelers and to me this one the best by a mile.

7. kyolic

kyolic Member

8. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

to Will:

Just to clarify: a Rig is like a patch, it has a profile, the fx, your tweaking and so for...
    At the moment you have available something around 700 rigs (=patches) of around 90 different amps (with different channels, settings and cabs). To make a comparison on CustomTone you have near to 2500 patches....do you download them all? No need to do it, you just do it with the ones that you believe could be interesting for you. Same thing here. And, again, there is already more than enough in the box to keep you happy for long time.,..though is difficult to ignore some sweeties popping up on the sharing section.. ;)

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Depends on whether you want to create or consume.

10. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Oh, that is a nice list!

That's a little more comforting. I don't download anything from CustomTone and rather build my patches. I guess that's the issue I'm trying to wrap my head around. Rather than having the options at my fingers to control the parameters, I have to hope that someone has created a profile matching my general tastes. Then again, from what I've heard editing a profile can have dramatic (in a good way) results.

If you mean create profiles, I don't have a stable of vintage or high dollar amps. The appeal of modeling to me is to get access to reasonable facsimiles of said amps more affordably and to be used at lower volumes/headphones and in direct settings. So from that perspective, I would assume...consume.

11. seranance

seranance Member

It would be better to ditch this 'dial in the modeller tone endlessly' routine when it comes to the Kemper, that's not really how it works. The sounds are already there, the only tweaks needed are minimal and personal, eg, more/less chorus, brighter/darker, clean/distorted, etc.

So...more time for music, less time being a slave to complex technology.

12. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

I don't know, kind of reminds me of the type of modding community that springs up around PC games. I'm not sure how many here can relate to that, but I assure you that's an awesome thing. It specifically reminds me of how flight sim guys will program profiles for all the complicated control peripherals for all kinds of different aircraft and share them with others.

If there's a dedicated website with a database of these profiles AND a robust rating system to weed out the garbage from the treasures, how hard could it be? The more I think about that, the more it sounds like a intellectual property lawsuit waiting to happen, but that's besides the point. ;)

13. seranance

seranance Member

That's OK because others do and many of them will be freely shared. :D

Let's not lose sight of an important aspect, though...that the right sound for the right part doesn't always need the services of a high ticket guitar amp.

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

If I get a Kemper my plan is to stick with whatever it comes with to start, go through each individual "patch", delete the ones I don't like and learn the unit that best I can. I'm not in love with having to move files over using a USB stick, I'm hoping that things will come soon that will allow a full fledged software editor / librarian plus direct USB connection to a PC. Until then, I'm going to stick with the basics although I'm quite certain my first task will be to backup and then upgrade the firmware on the unit (also done with USB stick).

15. shasha

shasha Member

I'd say that's a little bit dramatic, but I feel pretty close to the same way. Its just so easy to take a model of an amp that I want to use and then dial in a complete patch.

I think that you really have to ditch that mentallity to use something like the KPA and it all comes down to workflow and preference. Its just another way to get from A to B. I just can't bring myself to the idea of depending on other people to find my tone for me and I don't have any tube amps anymore which is the whole point of owning a modeller for me.

16. sheguitarplayer

sheguitarplayer Member

No more so than most modellers.
    There is a lot of scope for tweaking/completely changing the sound of a profile, you are not stuck with it 'as is'
    Think of a profile as a pre dialled 'starting point'.
    Gain, Very powerful. Cleans up and dirts up way more than original amp.
    tone (C.Kemper has said that models of the original tone circuits can be easily added if users want it but personally I think the eq works very well indeed),
    definition(very powerful, takes it from a vintage to a modern sound and back),
    sag,
    Pick Attack
    Clarity
    tube bias
    Tube shape and compression. Thats before you even look at the cab section.
    So you see there are big opportunities to completely change a profile if that floats your boat.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  17. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Hey, I'm with you guys. The idea that modellers are harder to work than amps is crazy to me. But if your paradigm is to be able to sift through masses of others' models to find the one you like, I understand wanting a more organized database. That said, that poster indicated they didn't have highly specific needs, so I suspect the Kemper, Axe or any other quality tool should work fine.

18. mattball826

mattball826 Member

fwiw dont any of us do the same thing depending on what modeler we buy. if we get a gsp we have digitech idea of that amp. if you go 11r or fas you are stuck with their idea of that amp with tweak options.

kemper is base on that amp and cab sound. this has been demonstrated many times. from there its minor eq or gain adjust to your liking. if the profile is too much to start with, you can go to different one.

this good or bad depend on how you look at it. in modeler if i take gain down it sounds weird or lose headroom or something. if i profile amp at particular gain or channel setting that is what you get without losing the headroom. so if i switch profile i have that amps clean, dirty, , or high gain channel i would have from the real amp. not a made up version of it.

kemper lets you profile your own rig, or use another real amp profile. just like patches, cab ir etc, i suppose some will be duds to some user and gold to others. what i like is the real amp definition is there.

19. seranance

seranance Member

heh...nothing screams 'defended psychology' quite like an unwarranted personal attack.

20. moo cow

moo cow Supporting Member

wow, after viewing the list of what it comes with, i can't think of many more i'd even want.