Ken Fischer / Ampeg - what's the story?

Steppin' Wolfe

Silver Supporting Member
Well, IF one believes that he was senior engineer at Ampeg at the age of 19-21 after finishing US Navy
service , then one might think he had something to say about the design of that amp. IMho, it matters not. Fischer's bones were made with his Trainwreck amps, which were first built in 1982. He was a motorcycle mechanic, a TV/Radio repairman, was involved in dry cleaning in some way after leaving Ampeg.
Someone is simply tying that Ampeg amp to Fischer's cachet...to no real purpose, imho. That Ampeg amp has nothing in common with any of his Trainwrecks. They harken back to the Fender BF Bassman(Express) and the Vox AC-30(LIverpool). That Ampeg also has little in common with the Fender Deluxe REverb that the seller mentions. That sales pitch is a lot of blah, blah, blah.
My apologies for not knowing the answer to your question, Buzz.

M

Member 995

Dave Hunter's "Guitar Amp Handbook" has some info on Ken's time at Ampeg, though I don't remember any of the specifics.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I have Dave Hunter's book (great!) and the Hopkins et al Ampeg book too (also great -- thank you Ron!) My recollection of discussion of KF is mostly that he was involved in repairs / testing and later some r&d. In the Hunter book, KF describes his role there as initially assembly, but quickly moved to QA/repairs. In the Hopkins book, he's described as being instrumental in development of the "after beat" effect in the Gemini tremolo circuit. That's it as far as attribution of his involvement with any specific design. They do mention that he left Ampeg in September '67.

The only other thing I remember reading--and I'll be damned if I remember where--was that KF was big on the original design of the Ampeg Reverbrocket, the version with 6V6s and all octal tubes.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
theres something in these vid about him and ampeg
I believe.

It's either this interview or the other one on YouTube.
Sorry I didn't have time to check it I'm at work on my phone.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
From that video, "Okay, at Ampeg we had a design team and different engineers and different people would be responsible for different parts of designing amps. At (the?) one point I worked at Ampeg, some of the amps I contributed to were the Reverborocket and amps of that nature."

buzzp

It's not really me trying to figure out if my Ampeg was handbuilt by Fischer himself, I was just curious about his background with Ampeg, something I knew very little of. Thanks guys!

I think the deluxe reverb comparison is just because of the wattage.

zenas

Something about it in Weber's first or second book. Maybe more in the later books but I've never read them.
Just based on what Fisher'sTrainwrecks did vs what Ampegs amps did. I'd say he had very little input on design at Ampeg.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Something about it in Weber's first or second book. Maybe more in the later books but I've never read them.
Just based on what Fisher'sTrainwrecks did vs what Ampegs amps did. I'd say he had very little input on design at Ampeg.
Ha! Indeed. Gotta agree with that.

Ampegs were made (and sometimes failed in varying degrees) to stay clean.

Trending Topics