1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ken McKay guitar build log for OFC

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dotmkr, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

http://youtu.be/lMUty2R89pA
    " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
    http://youtu.be/lMUty2R89pA
    Here's a little longer one around five minutes that lets you hear it with different effects thanks to Angelo Meli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  2. Shrigg

Shrigg Member

3. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

It sounds great through the Bassman... I can't get enough of that :band

4. JP

JP Guitarist of Mojo Radio

Killer Ken, she looks and sounds fantastic! MCKAY!!!!:phones

5. Shrigg

Shrigg Member

Me neither... Love that amp and your guitars make it sound SO great!

6. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

Hey thanks JP. I wish you could take it for a spin.

Ken

7. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Fantastic Ken it really looks and wounds wonderful!

8. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

Thanks Ian. It is always a little dicey with a new model you never really know how it's going to turn out for real. This one exceeded my expectations I really do like it. It's balanced and tone wise has a little more than I even expected.
    It's good to see you stopping by.

Ken

9. dinnerpartynoise

dinnerpartynoise Member

After playing the guitar for a week or so I thought I'd give everybody my impressions. I think the thing that really jumps out for me is how resonant it is. You can get singing sustain even when playing dead clean. You can feel the stings vibrate through the entire guitar including the neck. It just feels alive. Of course the tone through a cranked amp is ridiculous - classic rock/blues heaven. I also really like the size, balance and neck carve. It's really comfortable to play, the neck carve and way the edges are rolled feel great in my hand. This guitar has what I believe is Ken's standard carve which is around .92 at the nut and which to me strikes a nice balance between having some meat and not being too big. In general has the feel of an old, played in guitar, like an old friend. You all know what it looks like, but it is even cooler in person. I was tempted to go with natural when I saw the flame in the wood, but am really happy I stuck with black. At any rate, really awesome guitar that I'me grateful to ken for building.

10. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

Well this is the best news of all. Thanks for the great review and I'm really happy you're enjoying your new fiddle.
    Amongst the sad news of Johnny Winters passing this is a little bit of a light that shines through.

Resonance. I strive to make sure that I incorporate a singing quality to my guitars. So I thank you very much for emphasizing that point. I also appreciate you bringing up The point that it has a worn-in in feel. I don't know if I can make a guitar any other way. It's just what I find myself doing with the tools.
    And finally I like to emphasize that you (gear page readers) really owe it to yourself to give Cliff a call. If this guitar is not your cuppa tea he will recommend something else. He has a knack for that.

Ken

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Supporting Member

OMG I just Read this entire thread, As a longtime player and collector of the good stuff I will declare that My Sunrise 19 is finest playing and sounding guitar I have ever owned. Amazing

dotmkr and Shrigg like this.
  12. Shrigg

Shrigg Member

Love my McKay 59 Dot. Everyone who sees it is amazed!

[​IMG]

dotmkr likes this.
  13. damian1

damian1 Member

Ummm, badass!

Shrigg likes this.
  14. dinnerpartynoise

dinnerpartynoise Member

So more than year after Ken building this guitar for me I wanted to follow up and say I love it even more than when I first got it. Just the other night I was playing some swells that were similar to the attack you get with an Ebow but was doing it just using the resonance of the guitar combined with my position in relation to the amp. What an incredible instrument. Thanks again Ken and have a great holiday!

Shrigg likes this.
  15. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

That is the kind of feedback I love to hear most! thanks for taking the effort to post.
    I am kind of isolated here and just stay busy working. So this feedback is the best, well next to hearing you play anyway. some day I will get out and hear some more good music.

Shrigg likes this.