Kendrick 118 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by onemind, May 3, 2008.

1. onemind

onemind Member

I've read that this amp accept different tubes. It sounds great with a 6V6 but output is kind of low, even by 'champ' standards. Would a different output tube (e.g. 6l6) be much louder? give more headroom? require any other changes? It is kind of nice being able to crank it without my wife freaking out though....

[​IMG]

2. kodecar

kodecar Member

I am DEFINiTELY no expert but i am pretty sure the Champ type is a cathode biased amp like the tweed Deluxe. You should be able to swap in 6L6, KT-66, 5881, EL-37's without having to dial in anything else.

I think there are some specific rectifier requirements with some output tubes. I am sure that someone here that is much more knowledgeable than myself can/will elaborate.

3. Stormy

Stormy Member

Gerald told me that you can swap out a 6V6 for a 6L6 but to use a 5V4 rectifier instead of a 5Y3. My own experience is that the 6L6 / 5V4 will give you more headroom. And yes, no need to bias.

4. Swain

Swain Member

There will be a volume difference. But, it's not huge. 6550s sound really good in the 118, too. EL-34s work, but I prefer the 6V6s or 6550s in mine.

The main differences seem to be Timbre, Texture, and Feel of the response.

I've used mine on a bunch of Demo recordings. I carry the 118 and a little foam lined box with different tubes for swapping.

And here's a GREAT way to use the 118; run the line out of it, into a Super. KILLIN'!

5. onemind

onemind Member

Thanks for all the great info, The volume is actually perfect using the second input (didn't realize one was -3db that little bit makes a good difference. I think it's a disservice calling this a practice amp. Remarkably full sounding for an eight inch speaker and such a diminutive cabinet.