Kendrick K-Spot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lerxst2112, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Thoughts? Clips?

I'm getting more and more confused. I've got the money for a new amp, and I know I want a clean one... the only problem is, there are so many kinds of "clean" tones. If I want a blackface tone, I get the Bruno. If I want a more modern clean, I get the Swart. If I want a tweed tone, I get the Kendrick or something...

Help... :(

2. 69strat

69strat Member

Dude, make sure you hear it first (whatever you buy)and you,ll never look back. If not you,ll start down a road most of us wish we had,nt!!!!

3. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I am on the list for a new K Spot. There are some clips on the Kendrick site, but I played the amp at a guitar show and they really don't do the amp justice.

The K Spot amp is really about pick/touch response and transition tones. I was floored by the touch response and sound of the K spot. There are some tones in there that are pretty amazing.

It is a really useful size, weight and wattage for me. 35 lbs and 35 watts make it loud enough to get some beautiful bell tone cleans, but not so loud you can't turn it up or have to use an attenuator.

4. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I can't hear any of the amps I want to buy, except MAYBE the Swart. I live in Charleston, SC, and there is NO-ONE near me who carries anything I'm interested in.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of Kendricks.

Not bad amps, but don't believe even 1/10th of the hype, as that is what Gerald is all about.

Resale will not be particularly good, either, should you decide you don't like it.

Lots of better-built alternatives out there in Tweedland these days...

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I'll take your word for it. I'm dropping the idea of the Kendrick. Now I'm just back where I was... Bruno vs. Swart vs. anything else clean and with character that I should be looking at. :(

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

certainly victoria and clark are worth looking into...

8. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget Fargen Amps for the Fender side of things.

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

Don't rule out Kendrick all together, they are a great deal at their used prices.

Though if you want "a million shades of clean plus a bit of edge" I'd recomend trying a Pritchard Sword of Satori. I've loved mine solid for two years and haven't found anything that can replace it as my favorite amp. There are no dealers to try it at, but they do have a return if you don't love it warranty. www.pritchardamps.com

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

If you are into "tweed", look no further than Clark.

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

+1 Michael's amps are where its at for tweed repros.

Lerxst, why not make the drive to Stu's shop in NC? Believe me in the long run it *will* save you money.

12. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Stu is no less than 7 hours away, and I work 40 hours a week. :( Not to mention, I'm a little antsy with interstate driving these days (best friend died on I-95 in NC in January).

I wasn't really looking for tweed... I was looking for a smooth, warm, clean tone, so I thought Bruno was it. The more I looked at amps, the more I realized that I liked other things just as well (that "modern" sound in Swarts, some tweed stuff...).

All in all, I don't know what I want. I guess I'll keep looking around until I find something that just smacks me over the head and takes advantage of me (ok, that didn't sound quite so weird in my head...).

Maybe I'll just wait for Randall's Europa. :) God knows he makes some killer amps...

13. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you should buy from folks that offer a 48 hour approval period.

I like Gerald personally, he's a funny guy. But, push come to shove, he's a master salesman. I could have sworn a few months ago, he proclaimed he was out of the amp business. I'm now a bit confused.

But, it looks like an awesome amp. The man can make a killer tweed amp, no doubt.

14. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

"All in all, I don't know what I want. I guess I'll keep looking around until I find something that just smacks me over the head and takes advantage of me (ok, that didn't sound quite so weird in my head...)."

Hey man,

smooth, warm, clean, etc... with vibrato/tremolo and one cool reverb... I own a 1210 C and its one hell of a amp!

www.jukeamps.com

I own a Kendrick 2410, also. had it for 12 years. and it was a piece of junk form the start. Was like pulling teeth out of weber and kendrick to make it right... crappy components and quality control. Customer support? There isn't any! (other than weber wanting YOU to support his azz...) He didn't want to admit he built a crappy amp. That was my experience with kendrick. they suck... I've had it worked on since I bought it and its like it is cursed or something... Something else goes wrong with it... I wouldn't even want to think of selling this amp because I would be sued...

Anyway, Juke Amps are real. Contact Gary Crouteau... Cool older dude. He knows tone! And he KNOWS HOW to build a real working amp.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

Gerald has more than once proclaimed he is stopping production to generate interest in those "last few Kendrick amps, no more after this". This kind of marketing is BS. I've owned one of his "Do-Awls" in imho there was nothing special about it in any way.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've heard some bad press, but the one Kendrick I've owned (the Climax) was a killer amp, easily on par with anything boutique that I've bought. Didn't fill a need at the time and it's therefore gone but I'd buy it back again if it turned up (#100). However, his amps tend to vary a lot in quality, so I wouldn't buy a new one, unplayed.

There're so many kinds of clean out there, it's a daunting search. Can I make one suggestion? For the price of a new Bruno, you could own an Ampeg V4, a Fender Twin and a Hayseed Vox copy, which would give you 3 VERY good flavors for the price of one...

17. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Actually, I'm going with a Z. Found a killer deal on one used... if I hate it, I'll sell it back for about the same.

18. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I've never had any bad experiences with Gerald Weber or Kendrick amps at all. Quite the opposite actually. He answers each and every question in depth usually within a day, and this guy has forgotten more about tube amps than many current builders know. This forum may not exist if it were not for his contributions.

I think many of the bad amps are from the era when Gerald was getting very sick, and was not around the shop.

When I get my K-Spot, I'll be sure to post many photos of the wiring and etc. so we will all see the components used and craftsmanship. FWIW, I'm working on one of the Joy Zee kits, which comes with a prewired component board and it is stocked with all top shelf parts and every solder is perfect. There is some very nice stuff coming from Kendrick these days.

19. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Ha, I've still got mine! :eek:

Not a bad amp actually, but I really bought into the hype at the time. I'm much wiser now (yeah, right :rolleyes: )

/rick

20. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I checked out a Townhouse an employee was selling, through Kendrick. I returned the guitar in the alotted time, and it was hell getting my $ back. I'll never deal with them again. I do love those cool trapazoid cabs they used to make, and owned a 1x12 rig with reverb. Never had a problem with it, just didn't love the tone.