1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kendrick speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by duffyguitarman, Oct 11, 2005.

1. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Looking for some feedback on Kendrick speakers. Considering a cab that has them in it.

Thanks,
    Duffy

2. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

I'm a broken record on Kendrick, I love the stuff.

The blackframe 10s are awesome although they can get a bit sloppy if you really push them hard. I think this is the best Kendrick speaker. Killer deals on these also.

The 12" models (black, green, brown) are pretty sweet also. What models are you looking at?

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Heard the blackframe 10s in a BFVR. A new instant favorite. Really fine speakers, at least in that application.. I'd love to try Kendricks in something someday.

4. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I had a blackframe 12" but didn't like it too much. I guess it might have been the wrong amp/speaker combo. I was using a older silver face Deluxe Reverb. Scott Henderson uses the 10's, so they can't be bad! ;)

5. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

The blackframe 12" is very happy in a tweed style amp, but not so much in the black/silver face designs.

I bet it was pretty darn loud in the SRDR though.

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

You shudda seen the patron's ducking when I hit those Albert Collins licks!!:D

7. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Ice Pickin' fo sho!:cool:

8. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

They are 12" 50w, but I see I will have to find out what version they are. I would be running the cab mostly with a Bogner XTC 101a.

Thanks everyone.

Duffy

9. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

I've got a 12" Black Frame. Very strange sounding speaker. I don't like it.

Michael

10. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

The Green or Brown frame 12s would probably sound very good with the Bogner. I have one of each in a Gusher combo amp, and they perform beautifully from clean to ear-shattering.

The blackframe 12 is a big, ultra efficient ceramic speaker, and is very picky about what amp, guitar, pickups ect. you use with it. They do sound very funny with some setups.

11. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

I'm one of the guys who like Kendricks. I have a Kendrick 2410 and I really like the Blackframe 10's that are in it. I've never tried any of their other speakers.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Blackframe 10" in my '64 white-knob Princeton - sounds great, really opened up the amp...

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The last two posts are great to hear because I just bought 2 Kendrick Blackframe 10's from 908SSP about an hour ago.

I'm getting ready to replace the Oxfords in my Tremolux cab right now.

Thanks again Alex.

14. tonehead

tonehead Member

I have a Fane Alnico Blue (100 watts) in a Kendrick Gig Rig. Sounds very good, very clear, articulate, and present, though a little spikey at times. Unfortunately it is a 16 ohm (previous owner) and I am looking to get back to the right match. Tell me a little about the Kendrick Brownframe by itself. Gerald Weber recomemends it for that amp. I am afraid I might sacrifice clarity for warmth. Any thoughts?

15. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I have been trying different speakers with my dlite and bought a pair of 12" brownframes//8ohm. I built a oversized 1x12 cab for my spaker testing.I instantly liked the warmth...Nice breakup..seemed to tame my highs a bit which is what I wanted. Very balanced sounding..loves when I bump the mids up a bit. I have only played it for about 2 hours but it is sounding much better with this amp than the others I have tried:
    v30,25w greenback, 2 different matchless 12's, 2- different weber 10's, eminenece rwb and a tonespotter 12. It is definately a different sounding speaker but I love it.

16. johnzias

johnzias Member

Not crazy about the 2-10's I bought in '96. Maybe they've evolved since then.

17. tonehead

tonehead Member

Hey, so it sounds like you really like those Kendrick brownframes. I find myself sort of leaning that direction. Was playing the Gig Rig today with that Fane 100 watt alnico and though it is very clear and articulate it seems to lack real warmth and has virtually no break up until you push the amp wide open, which is very loud. I tried it with a Vintage 30 and it had a nasty midrange honk that got worse as you turned the amp up. Any other speaker you have had to which you might liken the brownframe?

18. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Are Kendrick speakers made by Eminence?

19. tonehead

tonehead Member

I heard they were actually made by another speaker company in Kentucky, but can't remember the name off hand. They make mostly high end sound reinforcement stuff, but do make this one vintage speaker that sells for about the same price as the Kendrick Brownframe.

20. tonehead

tonehead Member

Credence speaker company in Kentucky; that is who I had heard makes Kendrick speakers. Anybody confirm?