Kendrick/Trainwreck project

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jzucker, Aug 28, 2003.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Kendrick's selling a trainwreck amp in kit form for $995. Anyone seen it? Sounds interesting but my buddy was totally burned by Gerald Weber a few years ago, buying a custom bassman which was one of the worst looking and sounding amps I had ever heard...

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Jack... I don't believe that the Kendrick "Trainwreck" Climax really qualifies as a "Trainwreck"... ;)

I also had one of Gerald's Bassman amps several years ago, and it was "OK", but nothing special...

There's plenty other things you can do with your money, IMO...

3. jzucker

The one he made for my friend had kawasaki transformers and radio shack jacks, switches and pots. It was unbelievably bad. Also the wiring was extremely sloppy and the insulation was badly burned at virtually every solder joint - As if the person doing the work was using an 80W solder iron or gun.

I heard that he and Ken Fisher had a falling out which is why he's selling these Trainwreck project amps...

4. jzucker

Did someone move this posting or did I post it to the wrong forum? I wasn't selling or advertising this so it shouldn't be in the member's forum. In fact, it probably ought to be in the tech forum since it's a tube amp project

5. Chi

Chi Member

Yes those Climax's are horrendous IMO...nothing at all like a real wreck. Sound like a Gorilla Practice Amp. I remember when I called Weber a number of years back inquiring about them. He said that the lead channnel "was the exact same circuit as a Trainwreck Express." I was baffled. Then I heard it.

Yeah Right.

I wonder if he is still shoveling this crap out to people to sell these things.

6. omar

omar Guest

I've heard horror stories about the Climax too but, I heard Gerald and other folks playing one in Arlington and it sounded great. I'd be wary.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Your wish is my command. :)

8. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

PerryR used to own one and I got to play it some. I thought the blackface Fender side was quite nice, but the lead channel seemed dark and too bass heavy for my taste. Maybe Perry will chime in here. He had Fane alnico 10's in it, which probably helped the tone alot. Those Kendrick 10's are sort of strange sounding speakers. I like them for some things, but they have alot of speaker distortion!

9. KLB

KLB Member

I bought that amp from Perry. who was (is) a pleasure to deal with!

I thought the cleans were very good, but the lead side was too lean. It's interesting we should perceive the lead side so differently.

I spoke with Ken Fisher who was willling to send info on how to mod the lead channel for a better tone and breakup. He told me some discouraging things about the Climax project that I won't repeat here.

I decided to sell the amp because I thought it was too heavy to lug around, and I had already become infatuated with a JTM-45 for lead tones.

I was able to get my money back out of it, unlike some folks who took quite a beating a year or two later.

10. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Well Ken, it was a looong time ago and I didn't get to spend alot of time with it. But I remember that the lead tone was not for me. It seemed to have a thick bass emphasis, not unlike other Kendricks I have played. I think Gerald likes that big bottom tweed tone. But I like a lead tone with more upper mid crunch, not unlike an old Marshall. So maybe our perceptions are closer than it seems! I thought the Z amps Perry had were far superior, but that is of course my personal opinion.