'Kenny Burrell' All Blues ES135 / Fuchs n Stuff

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Carl_Tone, May 6, 2008.

1. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

2. scottl

scottl Member

Definately had that retro vibe. Cool playing Daddy-O. Heated up nicely towards the end of the solo.

;)

3. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Hey...thx for the kind words...but I never seem to like my new versions better than the old one I did a few months ago.

http://www.atozclean.com/Media/All Blues.mp3

This thumb and finger stuff is not easy.

I would think that it would get better / easier with practice?

But Instead I have to start transcribing my own successful accident.

Anybody still like the new one, or the old one?

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Nicely laid back Greg
    Both takes Sounds quite authentic ... as if you were an actual veteran of the 'cool' era ...
    Enjoyed the vibe..

5. GP_Hawk

GP_Hawk Member

Liked both..different nights, thats all;) It never sounds the same after the first one if you're trying to do better than your first take. I always find it better to approach it like its a new song and try not and think to much about what I'm going to do. Just let it happen. Get the shades on and blow through those changes, thats cool for ya:cool:

Nice playing man...

6. TimmyPage

TimmyPage Member

Very cool stuff. I love this tune and you sound amazing playing. I hope to hit your level some day.

EDIT: Ps, I love your tone. It's not the standard tone knob rolled to nothing sound I hear alot of jazzers with. It's beautiful, clear, round, and yet bright and sparkly on the chords. That's the ODS 50?

7. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

Thanks...good advice that I'm gonna take.

Hi Tim,

I honestly believe that once you start some real projects and record yourself as you go...your playing will jumpstart.

Thanks for the compliment on the tone.

Below is the tone recipe I use if you have the time, and care to read it.

As for tone..Kenny Burrell and George Benson records kinda sound slightly overdriven to me so I take some liberties with the drive. This song uses the ods 50 drive channel, slight gain / master opened up / close miked with a little bit of echo in the loop and the pig 60, dry & clean with a mic a few feet away.

Although I wouldn't trade my Fuchs...You can wring jazz sound out of alot of diff. amps ...even solid state like GB.

5K guitar? No need... a 135 is under a K. Pro setup and bone nut and Buzz Feiten were done to mine though.

My guitar is dark and I have to thumb & finger pick this tune to make the 10 guage roundwounds do the job...

so I set the amps treble and bass to compensate, mainly cutting the lows... and I cut the lows at the board for my mikes too..

had to after some real tubby first takes...YMMV.

Be patient, conservative, and gradual when you change EQ and take notes if you plan on doing different tone styles.

Look foward to hearing your clips.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Nice job on this tune and nice smooth work. I wish I could finger the notes like this to get the nice touch and smooth delivery you have here. :AOK