Kerry Learned is a stand-up guy

Let me just start off by saying that if you haven't tried a set of Kerry's pickups, you're missing out. Admittedly, I'm tough to please. I have very high expectations, and low tolerance for anything but the best. Well let me tell you, these pickups have blown me away. Kerry matched exactly what I was looking for. For $100, you won't find a better set.

Before even ordering, he spent a couple of weeks going back and forth with me while we sussed out exactly what I wanted. For all he knew, that could've been time wasted if I never ordered. He was very patient and helpful throughout.

Now onto my ordering experience. I'm going to be honest and tell you that my order had quite a few issues. First, Kerry became ill and was out of comission for several weeks. There was no communication during this time, which freaked me out a little, as money is tight. It ended up setting back my order by a little over a month. It happens. No biggie. When they finally arrived, there were a couple of big issues. Both issues were simple mistakes, but were things I was going to have to fix/work around. I made Kerry aware of both of these issues, not necessarily expecting anything, but rather to let him know that there was indeed a problem with my order. Without going into details, he went above and beyond to make it right. What he did to take care of it was well beyond what I would've asked. He very obviously loves what he's doing, and cares very much about his reputation. Everything is maticulously put together. The idea that things didn't turn out right really bothered him.

I'm posting this because I think that anyone that cares as much about his craft and his customers as much as he does ought to have as much business as possible. If you haven't given these a try, and were wary of the thoughts shared in the other thread, you really ought to do yourself a favor and get yourself a set.

EDIT:
Here is a link to his eBay store.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/klea3031

Last edited:

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
Let me just start off by saying that if you haven't tried a set of Kerry's pickups, you're missing out.

I'm posting this because I think that anyone that cares as much about his craft and his customers as much as he does ought to have as much business as possible. If you haven't given these a try, and were wary of the thoughts shared in the other thread, you really ought to do yourself a favor and get yourself a set.
I would like to keep Kerry a secret and make him my personal pickup maker, but he needs to make a living so............

His 64 Strat pick ups are indeed special. I have had a AVRI 62HR Strat since 2009 that sounds great unplugged, but has just never sounded good plugged in to any amp. I have tried a number of pickups and spent hours adjusting pickup heights to no avail. I bought the 64s figuring I could try them and flip them pretty quickly. It took a month or so for the 64s to arrive. I actually decided to trade the Strat into GC in the mean time. The day before I was going to GC,
Kerry's pickups arrived. I installed them just to see what people were raving about, fully expecting to be unimpressed and dump the guitar the following day. Without even adjusting pickup heights, I got a great sound from the first strum. I said "Ah! There might be something here!" A couple of height tweaks and the Strat sounds fantastic. I am glad I have held onto that guitar now for so long. It was just waiting for these pickups!

I know he will become popular and his prices will deservedly increase. For now, I consider these pickups perhaps the best $100 I have spent on gear.

ddeand

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a set of his Jeff Beck winds when he was first mentioned here, and they have been great! He was very easy to work with and was amazingly fast with my order. When I ordered the pickups, I almost did so because he was facing a bit of skepticism about the quality of his pickups. I think most skeptics eventually became satisfied customers. There are a number of threads about sellers who don't come through with the goods, but Kerry seems to deliver in aces! He's one of the people here who I would like to meet. Here's the thread where many of us found out about his pickups.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1036939&highlight=pickups

blueworm

I bought 2 strat sets from Kerry. Both are great pick-ups, really. I agree the 64s have something special. Also It was a nice experience dealing with him. Great customer service.

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
I have a set of Kerry's Tele Tall Blues pickups. They are fantastic-sounding pickups and my buying experience with Kerry was great! If I ever buy (or build) another Strat, I'd like to try his '69 Hendrix set.

His Texas Magic strat bridge is one of the best I've heard. It's definitively strat, but has no ice-pick tonality at all. When he first recommended it, I was somewhat hestitent. I thought it was going to sound more like P90 bridge, but it is strat all the way. It's what a strat bridge should sound like.

Switters

I'm gonna grab a set like everybody else and for the same reasons.

But I have to say, is part of the appeal the 'secret club' aspect? Are these 'Onamac', 'Kerry Learned', 'some eBay name' brand?
Please don't take offense, but even the original post assumes prior knowledge and while wishing the dude all the best, doesn't link to where to buy em or the thread referenced. Maybe Kerry is happy with the level of business he's getting, or is too busy to get a website cracking or to pick a name and roll with it. I see a link to the monster thread on one of his listings, but does he post here?

Whichever way it is, everyone agrees that a good pickup is a good pickup and the only way to figure that out is to give em a go.

I think these are priced at the perfect point where scepticism is overridden by 'oh, why not?'.

But I have to say, is part of the appeal the 'secret club' aspect? Are these 'Onamac', 'Kerry Learned', 'some eBay name' brand?
Please don't take offense, but even the original post assumes prior knowledge and while wishing the dude all the best, doesn't link to where to buy em or the thread referenced. Maybe Kerry is happy with the level of business he's getting, or is too busy to get a website cracking or to pick a name and roll with it. I see a link to the monster thread on one of his listings, but does he post here?
I apologize that I did not include a link to his eBay page. I did assume that many here have heard of these pick-ups, and read at least some of the monster thread. Because of the price and how highly everyone who tries them is holding them, I think there are some people who assume it's just a flavor-of-the-week kind of thing. I honestly assumed these would be ok, but not great, pickups when I ordered them. I figured there was no way they could hold their own with significantly higher priced pickups at $100. I was wrong, and after dealing with Kerry, I wanted to share my experience. Posting in the other thread would've been a preaching to the choir kind of thing.

There are other winders who don't have a website. Ron Ellis is a great example of this. I think Kerry started winding under the Onamac name, but has since dropped that. I don't think he has an official name at this point.

Switters

No need apologise man, just pointing out the perception of the 'brand'.

I was sceptical right up until Danocaster chimed in with positive experiences.
I wonder how many folks felt the same way, Kerry probably owes Dan some beer at some point.

Vibrolux

Anyone know Kerry's current lead time. I placed an order on Nov. 5th , 2013 and have yet to even get an acknowledgement. I have order PUs previously and received them in about 6 weeks.

thx!

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I spent several months exchanging email, testing prototypes, and offering suggestions for Kerry's '64 Strat pickup design. FWIW, I never met him personally but, via email, he comes off to me as a nice, down to earth guy who really cares about his product and customers.

Last edited:

Sarah93003

Hi folks,

I thought I'd add a little bit. I just received a set of his Texas Magic pickups. They came with a drawing, a tone cap, and a treble bleed. After soldering everything in, putting new strings on and adjusting the pole height I took it for a test drive.

I played it strictly clean through a Roland JC 120 and through a Carvin Vintage 16 tube amp. I was very pleased with the sound of it through both amps. Tone is so difficult to describe, however, I can say that I had Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials in before and I liked them. Kerry's pickups to me sound "sweeter". The sound of each string, and of course each chord, just sounds prettier to my ear. I really like them.

This weekend I will get a chance to play them through my pedal board and will record some clips. That's really what everyone wants to hear anyway.

As I recall it took about 7 weeks to get my pickups. He is very busy but was true to his word. My pups arrived right on time. If you are not reaching him through eBay, try his direct email:
Kerry@wavecable.com

More to come.
Sarah

Vibrolux

thanks Sarah. I have emailed him but did not get a response. Tried him again just now and sent a message two days ago through eBay. Placed the order 12 weeks ago. I don't mind the wait but since placing the order I have not received one communication back from him. The last set I ordered came in about 7 weeks as well. He was also better about communicating on that order. I was asking because in case someone knew info about any problems he may be having beyond too much work.

Anyone know Kerry's current lead time. I placed an order on Nov. 5th , 2013 and have yet to even get an acknowledgement. I have order PUs previously and received them in about 6 weeks.

thx!
His lead time should be around 25 days right now. He had a few medical issues that led to about a month delay, and he's been trying to catch up. I know that he doesn't like to make mistakes. Sometimes it takes him a couple of days to get back to you. He definitely doesn't ignore customers. Give it a couple more days.