Keyboard Amp vs. Powered Monitor

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by d-rock, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Michael Tuttle

Michael Tuttle Member

I bought the QSC 10.2 from Sweetwater and used it this morning for church services. Wow how awesome it sounded right out of the box and it just made my day. My NP4 sounds the way it should, like grand piano. Don't know what happened with the 10.2 I played through at Guitar Center but I'm so glad that I ordered from Sweetwater. Thanks for your advice on this site guys.

silver surfer likes this.
  2. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

Excellent! Enjoy. They are the best.

3. Michael Tuttle

Michael Tuttle Member

The sound my keyboard deserves

4. dubbinman

dubbinman A HAPPY BOY WITH HIS BALL Silver Supporting Member

Can't I just go direct from Synth to powered monitor(s)?

SETUP

As with most studio monitors, you’ll want to have a dedicated audio interface or other device that can send line-level signal to the speakers via ¼” TRS or XLR cables from your computer or other outboard audio device. We suspect most people interested in a studio monitor style speaker already have one, but there are a number of great interfaces on the market at affordable price points for those who do not.

5. mattymel

mattymel Supporting Member

Curious about the interface option. I’ve been using a cheap Macklemore mixer as my pre before the QSC K10.2 and I don’t think the Mackie does my rig justice.

What are people using if they have a bunch of different inputs?

I’ve got a Moog Sub37, a DSI Rev2, Moog Grandmother, 2 Mother 32, and 2 DFAMs. I obviously don’t usually need them all at once, but if they’re set up in my studio that might be nice.

I’ve seen that Radial Key Largo thing, but it’s kind of pricey for only 3 inputs. What else is out there?

6. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've been using a Mackie VLZ mixer - the 12-input all-analog one. It's survived multiple road trips to band rehearsal and shows, and being tossed around in airline baggage. My only complaint is it has just one aux send bus.

The Radial Key Largo looked appealing as a smaller, less space-hogging alternative, until I found out the USB feature is not supported by iOS devices.

7. zzside

zzside Member

I have been hunting for a multi-channel studio monitor for use with modeling pedals for guitar, bass, and keyboard, in a traditional amp form factor. I didn't believe the haters and ordered a Roland KC-200. They recently improved the series; how bad can it be?

I was wrong, it was bad.

This thing is dumb and loud. I measured it with REW and a calibrated mic, and it still needs EQ to get to a flattish frequency response, although you can get there. But the Q or damping or however you want to describe it is terrible. It is not suitable for use as a near-field monitor under any circumstances.

I am going to try the Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe instead. I will miss the four channel input but at least it has a chance at sounding good.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    chunky48 likes this.
  8. Gurn

Gurn Member

You have 2 really good keyboards & one really crappy amp (IMO).

Almost anything beats a KC-series amp. Get a powered monitor.

9. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

The Deuce Deluxe looks great. Not too many guitar combo amps that can also handle bass and keyboards/synths, with appropriate headroom.

10. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

I had the KC550 for a while. Decent for home use but fell apart at any serious volumes. I am using a QSC 10.2 now and it's a night and day improvement to say the least. I want to get a second one soon for stereo.

11. chunky48

chunky48 Member

God help me, I did a couple of (small band) tours with a KC-350. Honky. Unpleasant. No good memories. Unlike the amps I used before and after, it didn't even go wrong in an interesting way.

12. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

QSC K8.2 makes a great keyboard amp. Plenty of eq options, three inputs w/ independent gain control, can be pole mounted, positioned upright, or on the floor like a monitor wedge. Great sound.

5cr33nager and silver surfer like this.
  13. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

I have a KC-80 for home practice and works really well with my gear [Juno 2, juno Gi, Gaia, Ex800mkii, CZ101, D50].
    But it's not an amp I'd recommend for playing out as it just doesn't get loud enough or handle the lower octaves of basses, organs, and rhodes / Wurlitzer type sounds.

Overall though, very happy with the KC-80 for my requirements.