Keyboard Effects Pedal for Normal Electric Guitar?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by The NightHawk, Dec 8, 2012.

1. The NightHawk

The NightHawk Member

Not talking about any type of guitar synthesizer or rack units....just a fairly decent and moderately priced pedal that I could use with a regular electric guitar to replicate some good organ, piano, or synth sounds.
    We have 3 guitars in our band, one trys to play some keys also, but it's difficult for him, and I know he isn't really into it.
    I'm not that knowledgable about the newest gear out there. Is there a pedal that I could use to get these sounds for certain songs?
    Ditching one guitar player and adding a keyboard player is not an option.....a lot of this band is about friendship.
    I'd appreciate your input.

2. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

I'm not aware of ANY fx pedals that will do what you want. There are synth pedals that do their thing, and octave pedals that do their thing, but convincing keyboard sounds are really best left to a keyboard. Besides, re-learning piano is a great excersise.

3. The NightHawk

The NightHawk Member

I can play enough keyboard to get by....learning any more is not an option at my age, with my schedule. Plus, I'm already lugging PA gear and guitar gear, singing all the songs, and booking all the gigs.
    Don't need another hat to wear.:eeks

4. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

A midi pickup with a synth/keyboard module is one way to go. If your drummer can play to a click, you could do the keys as backing tracks.

5. Improviser

Improviser Member

I'm in a similar position across a couple of bands, where I want to just add the odd keyboard rhythm/riff/fill.

For organ/B3-esque tones I've settled on an Arion SCH-1 Chorus pedal (note, NOT the SCH-Z later version). Really impressed by this device (and I've tried some other very good ones, Ventilator, Analogman Bi-Chorus, etc, etc). Cuts through the mix well.

My personal favorite keyboard tones are from the Fender Rhodes, and I haven't come close to getting my guitars to sound like that (any suggestions appreciated). To the point where I'm tempted to pick up an old Rhodes anyway.

6. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

7. The NightHawk

The NightHawk Member

They both have some useful sounds, but too many unnecessary. Also, more than I want to spend. Thanks though.
    I guess I'm unrealistic....just looking for a basic stomp box with 3 or 4 settings:
    B3
    Rock Piano
    Clavinet
    Harpsichord
    Basic Synth .....for $100 bucks or so, any such animal exist?:huh

8. drewl

drewl Member

The EH POG can do some decent keyboard sounds if you dial it in right with some delay.

My old Digitech ValveFX had an arpeggiator which also did a nice synth keys sound, and I was bummed when they didn't have something similiar in my GSP1101.

So what I do is add a low and high octave and delay and it gets me by, maybe also add some swell or do it manually with the volume pedal.

But try the POG, it might get you what you want.

9. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Yep, you're looking for something that doesn't exist.