Keyboard w/ synth sounds?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by SideBMusic, Feb 4, 2012.

1. SideBMusic

SideBMusic Supporting Member

... instead of a midi controller? I'm wanting more sound choices and easier access than searching through Logic's plug-ins.

I'd like some opinions and suggestions. And is there anything worth considering under $1000?

2. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

Mainstage. Yes it's the same thing as logic but it's pretty much designed for running synths and MIDI gear. You'll be hard pressed to not get plenty of usable sounds from it. I'd hazard a guess that'll it'll be a lot quicker than editing a hardware model on a keyboard too.

3. revelator62

revelator62 Member

4. SideBMusic

Intriguing. How good is the sound quality?

5. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

The same as any DAW. You can set multiple patches and concerts up and all you have to do is scroll through it once it's set up. You can connect multiple MIDI controllers/keyboards and multiple audio inputs. It's VERY VERY good!

and it's only £20.99 or whatever that is in your silly currency :sarcasm

plus you can also download 19GB of presets, loops and sounds that make up the jam packs that used to be included with logic studio---- FOR FREE!

Then if you don't like the logic software instruments for whatever reason you can download any other one available that is compatible with logic.

6. SideBMusic

Cool. I couldn't find a list of preset voices.

7. SideBMusic

Can this be accessed while using Logic? Can I record directly into Logic?

... wait a second, I can download 19GB of stuff included in Logic Studio? I bought Logic Express 9 so I am missing that stuff. Where do I find that to download?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

Yeah they can both work at the same time as far as I know. It works at the same time as digital performer so I don't see why it wouldn't with logic. Just make sure you haven't got audio coming back out of logic at all otherwise latency will probably be horrific. but yes you can record directly into logic. You can use all the mainstage instruments in garageband/logic/logic express as far as I know.

You can get the extra 19GB for free by buying Mainstage 2 off the Mac App Store. That then gives you access to that 19GB of extra's via an in app download. (hopefully you have a decent internet connection, I had to go to a friends to download it as I'm stuck on 2meg at the moment!) They used to cost £25 a pack from what I remember. Just go buy it, it's an absolute bargain as far as I'm concerned. It's one of the most useful programs I have on my mac.

Find the "Exploring Mainstage 2" pdf booklet online and have a read of what its capable of. It does scrolling lyrics to a click, backing tracks and loads more.

9. revelator62

revelator62 Member

There are thousands of voices...not all are synth of course, but even if you don't find what you want you can create your own new voice, either by tweaking on the board or using the software editor... Although I haven't used it yet . Also there is another third party editor by Melas. The list of voices is under the Data list here:

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/mox_manuals/

Many pads, synths, leads and ambient effects included. The arpeggiator and the sequencer takes it to another level. This board is based on the same MOTIF engine as the flagship professional keyboards ($$$) XF, XS, etc , a little leaner (32-bit) and no sampling. It sounds very, very good. This piece of equipment may become (to me) the most satisfying instrument I've ever had... Assumming of course it don't breakdown and proves reliable for many yesars. Its only been out for alittle over a year. They just released a new firmware update which has been reported very positive.

Althogh it is lightweight (plastic) and not perfect, it gives th user lots of options . It is indeed very cool...

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

What kind of synth sounds?

Korg's Microkorg is very popular, for those looking for virtual analog and/or techno type sounds.

Arturia Minibrute is a real analog monosynth, which can also function as a MIDI controller. It also has some control voltage jacks if you have other voltage controlled gear. Lots of people are excited because its about $500-ish and it has an intuitive user interface (lots o' knobs and sliders). You'll have to wait until April to get it though:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/minibrute/intro.html

If you need piano sounds, then that Yamaha might be the one for you. I've always liked Yamaha's piano sounds the best out of the keyboards made by the big 3 Japanese manufacturers. If you're more into a keyboard that sounds like an analog synth, then the Microkorg/Microkorg XL or the Minibrute (if you can wait a few months) might be the ones to check out. If you want an analog synth that you can easily do lots of tweaks on in realtime, then the Minibrute appears to be the best choice.

11. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

If you need piano sounds then you'd be jsut as well off with mainstage. Those yamaha, bosendorfer and steinway settings are amazing.

12. SideBMusic

Can you bounce the audio from Mainstage to use in Logic? All I see is the ability to make patches for use in Mainstage. My goal is to be able to use these sounds in Logic Express 9 (which did not come with all the plug-ins available in Logic Studio/Logic Pro).

The Mainstage interface looks user-friendly. It would be nice to make a recording there and bring it into Logic. Even better would be if Mainstage would open from Logic itself.

I would not be buying this for live performances.

13. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

As a Logic owner, I googled out of curiosity and it turns out there are other people out there who are trying to use Mainstage 2 and Logic at the same time too. From what I gather, the two apps aren't really meant to be used simultaneously. You either use Mainstage 2 live to use your Logic instruments and effects, or you use Logic to record.

Apparently you can record whatever you do in Mainstage 2 to an audio file, then import the file into Logic. At $29, Mainstage 2 sure looks like a nice low-risk investment.

The Ableton Live platform does not have this weird separation of studio and live performance functionality. When you play a gig with it, it can record everything you do, then bounce your performance to an audio file. Whatever you record in the studio can be easily used in live performance. But it doesn't have the nice pianos, Space Designer, etc. either that Logic has. Then again, if you're more into pure synths than piano, it might not matter.

14. SideBMusic

Thank you. But how do you record whatever you do in Mainstage 2 to an audio file? I can't find any info on this.

15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Try Google on "mainstage2 record file". I found the Mainstage 2 PDF manual that way. Chapter 5 seems to have the info.

16. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

You guys aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'll try it differently.

When you buy Mainstage 2 it comes with it's standard plugins and softwares instruments. You can also download another 19GB of free plugins, settings, mixer setting etc etc. They are ALL cross compatible with any of Apples audio software INCLUDING Logic. Including any channel strip or software instrument settings you make yourself in Mainstage.

To record audio from mainstage there is a simple record button that you press and it drop everything it hears into a 44.1k 16bit stereo interleaved AIFF file for you. Useless if you've got multiple sounds running from separate keyboards, great if you just want to record ideas though.

So essentially if you just want loads more sounds and a great place to edit and work on them then you need to buy mainstage. It's a friggin steal!:p

17. SideBMusic

21st...

I am going to get Mainstage today. A couple of questions. After the audio is recorded do you use Finder to retrieve the AIFF file? Where will I find the extra 19GB of plugins... ?

Thanks for your advice.

18. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

Yeah it's just in Finder>music>mainstage
    Like I say it's only 16bit, you'd be better off using 24bit in Logic.

They are just in the file menu in the top tool bar when you have mainstage open. There's an option in that menu, you can't miss it

19. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

"You guys"?

Anyway, make sure he understands whether or not he can use Logic and Mainstage 2 at the same time. He might still be thinking you can open up Mainstage 2 from Logic or something.