Khruangbin. Good, bad, don't care? Jealous brother maybe?

Xbalanque

I couldn't get my brother to make a real comment on what he thought of them, which makes me think he likes their sound and is kind of jealous. Musicians can get like that sometimes. "Surprising what gets popular these days" is all he had to say.

I think Khruangbin sounds great. I like how simple they are and yet not so simple. I like how they play through a couple fender amps and thats it, no big setup. He uses 2 A strings instead of a fat E. She plays bass so he doesnt need a bass string, he says. The drummer keeps it simple but is dead on balls accurate on time and holds it down like nobodies business.

I will have to get my brother to give them another chance. What do you think of Khruangbin? It means airplane.

Xbalanque

cool music. I dig it in the background but not really something I want to intentionally listen to for more than a few mins. The visual element of their show goes a long way.

The whole presentation is nice, but her once in a while moves while playing the bass are "strangely compelling" if I can quote Milhouse from the Simpsons. The hips swaying. Fascinating.......

Pascal

I like the idea, but haven’t found the execution much more than just pleasant to my taste. I sadly get bored quite quickly when listening to them. And the wig creeps me out.

Their EPs with Leon Bridges I get along with better, but here again, mostly as background music. Filed under Easy Listening - not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

olejason

Great arrangements and appropriate parts but it doesn't do much for me from a listening standpoint. I like playing that sort of stuff but it isn't something I listen to often. It's funny how polarizing this band is in terms of whether or not they're great musicians. I think they're great in terms of playing appropriate parts and staying in the pocket but it doesn't appear any of them have anything approaching monster chops (which is totally fine).

PhxdB

It's funny how polarizing this band is in terms of whether or not they're great musicians. I think they're great in terms of playing appropriate parts and staying in the pocket but it doesn't appear any of them have anything approaching monster chops (which is totally fine).
Well, they're not a shred metal band.

But they are instrumentalists with plenty of cool melodies and licks. I wouldn't call them guitar gods but in no way would I every say they don't chops.

jogogonne

Great arrangements and appropriate parts but it doesn't do much for me from a listening standpoint. I like playing that sort of stuff but it isn't something I listen to often. It's funny how polarizing this band is in terms of whether or not they're great musicians. I think they're great in terms of playing appropriate parts and staying in the pocket but it doesn't appear any of them have anything approaching monster chops (which is totally fine).

I mean, I don't think it's like John Coltrane or anything, but definitely above what it seems.

olejason

Well, they're not a shred metal band.

But they are instrumentalists with plenty of cool melodies and licks. I wouldn't call them guitar gods but in no way would I every say they don't chops.

haha Hence the polarization! :) You'll definitely find people online claiming they are expert level musicians in every sense of the word. It obviously doesn't matter, just interesting that they're one of those bands to spark so much debate.

PhxdB

haha Hence the polarization! :) You'll definitely find people online claiming they are expert level musicians in every sense of the word. It obviously doesn't matter, just interesting that they're one of those bands to spark so much debate.
Yeah, it is a little funny.

And again, I don't consider them the greatest technical band by any means. But I'll settle with them being "accomplished" and leave it at that! :)

Hamer95USA

I'm happy for their success & acceptance by their audience and for bringing the guitar back to music, but I don't really find their music all that funky. It reminds me of someone playing jam music. If they had some songs with vocals in it that is radio friendly, instead of an instrumental jam, I might take them seriously. IMHO, it's not my cup of tea.

Guitar George

Trending Topics

Top Bottom