Khruangbin. Good, bad, don't care? Jealous brother maybe?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
The video posted is the first I've heard of them, I think it sounds pretty cool! Love the guitar work -- pretty busy -- but that washy verb is really cool. Love chick bass players so, yea I dig.

Podicle

Silver Supporting Member
I like their stuff, but I think they need to shake it up a bit for their next album. They’ve been mining the same seam for a while now.

There is a great rig rundown on them. The guitarist only has one pick which he’s been using for years, and they are not gear obsessed in any way. They use what works.

PhxdB

I like their stuff, but I think they need to shake it up a bit for their next album. They’ve been mining the same seam for a while now.

There is a great rig rundown on them. The guitarist only has one pick which he’s been using for years, and they are not gear obsessed in any way. They use what works.
Yeah, and I think the bassist has never changed her strings. At least not in an incredibly long time.

aeo

My gal says they are the best music to cook and clean around the house to haha.

Surprisingly they are pretty outstanding live and in no way 'boring.' We just saw them in March and it was a great time.

Mark's playing is a perfect example of how much mileage a person can get out of playing mostly in the pentatonic scale. He does so much to fill the main melody role in that band. Can't flub too many notes when you are playing like he does without the entire thing collapsing around you.

Their rhythm section does a ton of work without getting overly complicated too.

DontheMon

Yeah I love it too. Like I kinda think hey could they work somehow with a vocalist or something but then it kinda keeps going and playing and sounds great anyway so...vocals are crazy in a way just some random person trying to do a third thing. You ever get the feeling more people play instruments now that are into making music than singers out there? I don't know, just a thought...or maybe the singers are just going for their own solo thing so there are less "rock" singers or just really none for a band to find...

Wanted to pony up for the tickets but was all expensive around me and my little one is younger so baby sitting money on top that...

Not to plug XM radio but there are a few channels for current music and defintely great singers working with guitar oriented bands so don't mind my dad blues musings...

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
Very, very high level musicianship.

The music is only OK for my tastes.
My sentiments, exactly. I watched their ACL show and it seemed lacking in dynamics. I can't discern one tune from the next. Maybe I need to dig deeper.

Xbalanque

That is a cool rundown, and Mark is really "anti guitar hero" for sure. That .88 green tortex pick, hmmmmm. Could that be a little "myth making"? Or am I just a guy who could never keep one pick for 20 years like that, so it seems impossible? Travelling the world, playing shows, and never losing one pick for a decade? Maybe I am too cynical and should just dig it, not doubt it.
I saw last week a vid where he had a different guitar! Someone said his #1 was lost for a while, but he has it back now. I bet he was all "whatever, its just a guitar" then he probably cried when he got it back. His baby.

tweedeater

Silver Supporting Member
Great arrangements and appropriate parts but it doesn't do much for me from a listening standpoint. I like playing that sort of stuff but it isn't something I listen to often. It's funny how polarizing this band is in terms of whether or not they're great musicians. I think they're great in terms of playing appropriate parts and staying in the pocket but it doesn't appear any of them have anything approaching monster chops (which is totally fine).
Mark Speer is capable of some serious chops. I believe he taught her how to play bass. She's ok, and seems to stay in the pocket. They fascinated me from the get-go, but I could see where it could get old if the music doesn't progress.

Lution

Nice sounds and that drummer is rock solid with his tempo though he's not exciting at all to watch. But it gets old fast.... as far as music that captures my attention. It seems like it's all songs that aren't finished and were released that way anyways.

I don't think I'd even want to hear it as background/study/chill music.

Last edited:

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
First time I heard them, I liked them for a couple of songs. After a bit, I realized that's all they had. It's almost like they couldn't find a singer so decided to go instrumental. Like others have said, difficult to distinguish one song from another. No variation in tone, dynamics, or presentation. Simple, yes, but simple isn't always better and I've never been a fan of surf-guitar tones.

fleezinator

That 'Rhythm is a dancer' cover & others in the middle was unexpected :) I love how they switch it up to keep interesting for a crowd likely familiar with the tunes & probably for the band themselves as well.

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
I like em but don't love them. I think if they permanently teamed with a great vocalist, they could have some much better possibilities creatively and do some more memorable stuff. This type of instrumental music does indeed get repetitive without some more vocalizations happening.

meyersforever

Platinum Supporting Member
Never got them at all, but just heard “Texas Sun” with Leon Bridges. IMO they could be a killer rhythm section for a talented vocalist(Such as Leon).

But what do I know anyways?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom