Khruangbin. Good, bad, don't care? Jealous brother maybe?

chopsley

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't heard tons of their stuff, but enjoy what I have heard. As others have said, there's not of variation from one tune to the next, but they've crafted an interesting and enjoyable sound.

hemmelight

Love them - saw them live in a small venue in Montreal sometime in 2018. Best gig I’ve ever been to!

They may sound repetitive or boring at first, but once you get used to their sound it becomes more interesting. They’re like Meshuggah that way. lol

The third album (Mordechai) has a lot more vocals and is their strongest yet imo.

Dubious

I appreciate the concept but indeed its a bit skimpy. Coulda sworn they've announced the band is done and they are moving on to another project now but not seeing that anywhere.

They're on the new Ron Trent record but I don't think it would appeal to TGP.

Lution

What a penetrating insight.
Well, it's certainly not as exciting as calling people pricks and narcissists, but then again I don't personally need to go that far to demonstrate a point. But please do what you must to sensationalize your experiences and be awesome. ;)

Lution

I am taking some time to listen to more of their music. So far I'm hearing the bass player is playing a touch ahead of the backbeat which is a no-no to be truly funky/soulful and sort of a yes-yes if you're trying to ironically inject funk/soul vibe into your arthouse project music. The guitarist, like another user above said, seems to be just playing his pentatonic finger exercises mated to soul/funk with a bassist that's not in the pocket and settled into the backbeat. The drummer, like I said above, is tasty, but boring to watch because he seems to be bored.

I'll keep listening, but it seems to me like this group is sort of an arthouse music starter kit for people trying too hard to be hip/trendy.

Lution

I wouldn’t try to overthink this kind of music. It’s just a groovy, funk-ish surfrock. It’s all about a good mood. Imagine throwing a pool party with this as a background music - perfect ;)
That's a good point. I might be picking it apart too much. It's an interesting sound for sure.

Xbalanque

Are you guys who say that Speer is playing mostly Pentatonic scale being serious? I dont have the musical knowledge to joust with you on the subject, but it sounds to me like he uses all kinds of different scales. One interview he mentioned that there's "..always another scale, another influence.." something like that. You guys are saying he is straight pentatonic, not even using modes? Sounds like much more to me, but I am just me, not some expert.

Axstar

Khruangbin are great. I saw them live back in April. For one thing they attracted a huge crowd that was very diverse; not just middle aged blokes clutching pints of beer and trying to suss out the backline. They had maybe a younger crowd than most rock gigs I've been to. Lots of teenagers and early twenty-somethings, plus middle aged and elderly folk. The audience really was 'everybody and anybody'.

If I had to pick any faults I would say the bass was almost too thumpy live, whereas the guitar was almost to reverb-y and washed out?

They sound a lot like their records live but work the songs into longer, looser jams and sometimes incorporate brief snippets of covers and things. The lightshow was excellent as well, timed perfectly to the changes in the tunes. It wasn't about watching a guy woodshed on a guitar for an hour.

The crowd were singing along to the bass lines and guitar parts at times. Who thought that would happen in 2022? That is something that should be celebrated on any gear page.

I think if you approach them as an instrumental rock act then you will see them as a bit one dimensional. They appear at rap festivals, sometimes as the only guitar-based act on the bill. Their appeal is far broader than a lot of guitar acts because create a vibe, ambience and aesthetic that sits very well. I have a few of their LPs and it is great background music. I've never sat down with my Strat and tried to transcribe any of their tunes because I don't see it as the sort of music that needs analysed and decrypted.

Xbalanque

I accidentally deleted my post :rolleyes:

As I said above - I think it’s kinda „wrong” type of music to pick it apart and wonder which modal position they’re playing in. It’s not Tool or King Crimson. The point of this music lies elsewhere.

I can dig that, man. But if someone says "it's only the Pentatonic scale" I think it is ok to say "are you being serious or just flipping shiat?" Just clarifying someone's opinion. If you tell me Greta Van Fleet is all pentatonic scale, I will say "ok" but Speer sounds like ....much more to me. I had no idea you could do all that with just the pentatonic.

HomeInMyShoes

I like it. I liked it when I first heard it. I still like it. Guitar-trio trance when it's live like the clip.

I certainly can't listen to it for ten hours a day, but it's a refreshing change every now and then.

voorhiessa

Silver Supporting Member
I can dig that, man. But if someone says "it's only the Pentatonic scale" I think it is ok to say "are you being serious or just flipping shiat?" Just clarifying someone's opinion. If you tell me Greta Van Fleet is all pentatonic scale, I will say "ok" but Speer sounds like ....much more to me. I had no idea you could do all that with just the pentatonic.
as a person who pretty much just plays penatonic, i'm ok with it, LOL. I recently stumbled onto Peach Pit, and their lead guitarist does the same.....which i'm also cool with. I actually like these guys a good bit.

Last edited:

Magnets And Melodies

Silver Supporting Member
Very, very high level musicianship.

The music is only OK for my tastes.
This is the best way I can think to describe how I feel about them.

I follow them and am fans of each of them as musicians. As a guitarist I love Mark's playing style.. very loose and fluttery but well thought out. As a drummer I'm honestly in awe of DJ's endurance and timekeeping skills. Laid back grooves and breakbeats but he never looses a beat all night. Laura has pure style with some of the best basslines and grooves to boot. I heard in interviews that Mark helps write the basslines a lot (this could be just at the beginning of their stuff? Maybe it's changed now) but the thing is, even if that's the case, you have to have skill to pull them off and play them as well as she does.. not to mention while dancing around in high heels and platforms like she does.

But as for actually listening for enjoyment? It's just a bit too repetitive and boring for me personally. To me, this is music musicians enjoy playing more than listening to. Like really long grooving jams and improvisations. I LOVE playing that stuff, but am always conscious that it's a bit boring for audiences (or other musicians).

But... the public seem to love it since they've taken off quite well. I think it has a lot to do with their character, but also the music is very laid back and chill, hypnotic and easy, which is sort of the perfect "mood setting background music" if you think about it... and I think that's what a lot of people treat it as. They throw it on in the background to relax. They aren't thinking too hard about it like us musicians like to do.

I wholly welcome their popularity though. When's the last time a chill, mostly instrumental phsych group with only guitar/bass/drums has reached their level of popularity, selling out shows across the globe? It's a pretty great thing for us musicians and I hope it catches on and takes off into a trend.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom