Kick ass mic, or another pre?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

So, I'm hanging on to about $600-ish looking at either a Summit Audio 2BA-221 or finding an MD-409.
    I'm mainly looking for more/different options for a sweet distorted/rock guitar sound.

Right now I'm kickin' it with a GR ME-1NV and a 57. Though I do have a FatHead 2 on the way.

Thoughts/opinions/experience?

Thanks.

2. wilder

wilder Member

You've got a nice pre. I'd get the mic. Don't know if you have, but you might want to just try a Senn E609 on guitars before you drop a bunch of $.

3. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I thought about the 609 too, but then I thought 421.

As you can see, I 'think' too much.

4. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I use the 441 myself........Now I want me a Royer 122.............

5. nbarts

nbarts Member

What is that you are not getting with your current setup?

6. opdev

opdev Member

HIJAAK!!

How do you like the GR ME-1NV

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

Royer R-121

Loudboy

8. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

$600 will get you a MD421, e906 and a Heil PR-30.
    I have all 3. They're all nice and the PR-30 is the one I go to most often. Sub one of the above for a Beyer M260 if you want a smoother tone.

9. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Lovin the GR, no complaints. I'm getting everything I want out of the GR....I just want more. :D
    C'mon guys, you know this disease as well as I do.

First it was guitars, then amps, then pedals, now it's mics and pres.

Loudboy...tell me where I can get a Royer for 6 bills...PLEASE!

All great suggestions, some I've heard, some I've not.

10. mischultz

mischultz Member

If you wanted a second preamp, the BLUE Robbie might be one to consider for a contrast in color.

But that said, I'd probably sit tight with the Great River and pick up another mic or several.

Michael

11. TAVD

You can't have too many mics. Might as well pick up a Blue Ball or 8-Ball from Full Compass since they're blowing 'em out for $45.

12. JohnM

JohnM Member

13. puls

puls Member

A ribbon mic is hard to beat for electric guitars. There are many to choose from ranging from inexpensive (for mics) chinese to $,$$$. They work pretty well for vocals & acoustic guitar also.

Just my 2 cents

jwp

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

You save up another $250-300 and get a used one...

Then you don't need to ever buy another guitar mic.

I've learned the hard way, that there really are certain pieces of gear that make a huge difference, and are worth saving for. Sure, you've got $600 now, but if you buy something lesser, not only will you not have the $600, you'll also have a mic that doesn't do what you want it to do.

If you stick a 121 in front of your amp, what comes out of your monitors is what the amp sounds like. I've yet to find another mic which makes it so easy to get great sounds.

It's like an 1176, or a Distressor. There's one box which sounds like that - until you get that box, you can't get that sound.

Loudboy

15. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i'll second the Royer. save up and buy one of those. in the mean time if the $$ is burning a hole in your pocket--i'd get a Senn e609. it's only like a $100. and imho, sounds much better (or at least different) than a 57.

but to answer your original question--i think you've got an excellent pre in the GR. i think your money would be better spent at this point getting a good mic.

16. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have to say that there is one alternative to the Royer. If you buy the $59 chinese NADY big-head ribbon, which comes with crap transformers and a floppy ribbon but is otherwise pretty well designed, you can send it to Oktavamod for an upgraded ribbon and transformer (Lundahl while they last). I did this with mine, and it went from a lackluster mic, to something that's as necessary and magic as an AKG414 on guitars...

17. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i have always wondered how those nady's sound with the lundahls. i've got a Shinybox branded Nady--just with the stock transformer. it comes nowhere near my royer--but i've been thinking of having it moded to a lundahl.

18. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Yeah, I'm still experimenting (read struggling) to get the distorted guitar sound that I want. It doesn't help that I don't have my ribbon yet..on back order for another week or so.

Yes, the GR is quite good for everything else that I've done. And even the pre's in my Duet aren't a slouch either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

19. TAVD

Even with the Lundahl, it's no Royer. ;) Would yours benefit from a Lundahl? Mine's already dark and wooly, it doesn't need any more low end mojo. As far as I can tell, the ribbon tension seems to be the deciding factor, the transformer is just icing. That's where someone with Michael Joly's skills comes in.

20. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

yeah, i definitely don't need mine darker than it is. i wonder how the cinemag is?