Kick ass solid-state amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by amper, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

2. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I went and checked out the amp (G50 112 II) and other than the speaker being blown and no footpedal, the amp works well and sounds fine. They got a kick out of the fact that I brought my own guitar to try it out. I had read that speakers were the weak link on these amps anyways. Now I just need to get him down to bargain for me territory. He seemed to think that just because some guys was asking $499 for a G50 112 series one that he might even jack his price up. He had it marked reasonable for an amp without a blown speaker but with it blown I'll walk in with cash later this week and see if he budges.

I am thinking that the G50 will be a perfect addition to a 2-amp rig with the G50 for at least acoustic and misc.

3. 777

777 Member

4. FiveG

FiveG Member

Any thoughts on which solid state amps would be best/better (but reasonably priced) with a keyboard?

5. OJT1212

OJT1212 Member

Roland Cubes
    GK ML & RL 250
    GK Backline 55 (original series)
    Marshall Lead 12
    Carvin SX 200

6. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I picked up a new Dean Markley DM60RC earlier this year that is a superb sounding solid state combo.Loud enough for most club gigs and a good feature set [footswitchable digital reverb/analog chorus,effects loop and Celestion speaker] make for a quality solid state combo for less than $300.

Ed

7. 10strings

10strings Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned. But I Love the JC-120H

8. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

I'm going to vote for the Marshall MG series amps. Fantastic sounding rock and roll tones.

9. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

Can't believe there are votes for the Marshall MG series and the Roland Cubes. I despise those amps. For a modeling amp i much prefer the vox VT series. But technically that doesn't qualify as there's a tube in the preamp.

10. stephenyi

stephenyi Member

best solid state amp I've played (and still own) = Fender Harvard Reverb from the early 1980s Rivera era -- sweet clean tones and lush reverb

honorable mention = Tech 21 Trademark 10 -- perfect bedroom/practice amp

bad experiences with solid state = Marshall MG series, Squier sidekick

11. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

12. studiodunn

studiodunn Gold Supporting Member

13. SickWithSin

SickWithSin Member

the fender frontman series is a pretty good solid state amp gets a great signature fender clean tone and its cheap. I'd rather play out of a pa or bass amp then the marshall mg series.

14. ekp

ekp Member

I can not say how many times folks suggested that I put a tube in my amps to avoid the stigma of solid state. I suppose that I could have, but a 12AX7 in the preamp does not really make a tube amp because the output stage is far more complex. The output stage has sag, compression, harmonic generation, and fat. Certainly, the output stage inspired far more of my patents than the preamp stages.

Have a great day, Eric

15. Peeb

Peeb Member

Forgot those. Nice!

16. teemuk

teemuk Member

The Valvetronix series use the tube for emulating a typical push-pull power amp stage but naturally in much lower current/voltage/power. It's pretty clever circuit.

17. fyler

fyler Member

Waller G-Max 100H head. made by the same dudes that are now making the ISP amps. good loud cleans (w/ a TON of low end) and a really killer gain channel. it can do everything from classic rock crunch to ludicrously gained out Death metal

18. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

bump.. cool thread.. keep it goin

19. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Lab series L5 . Bought one off of Craig's List. Not too heavy for a 212 combo. Sounds pretty full with a nice soft overdrive. The compressor is outstanding. It is a very fun amp to noodle on.
    I wanted one of these in 1980 really bad. Never got around to it. Now I'm making up for lost time.
    Reverb is pretty good and I like the tone circuit.
    John