Kick drum mic ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dmbandtimmy, Jul 11, 2006.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I am debating between 2 kick drum mics. GC has the Audix D6 in stock and I got the guy down to $160 new. I am also looking at the ATM 25 per suggestion made in prior posts. That would set me back $150, so they are about the same price. Which mic would you guys chose. Thanks for any input!

Also, I wouldn't mind using the mic I get on bass if that makes any difference.

2. Luke V

Luke V Member

I like the D6 but the AKG D112 is my favorite. The D6 seems to hype the very low end. It really depends on your recording setup. I record pretty much everything flat, then eq later if needed. A nice parametric eq will help whatever you decide to use.

Good Luck

3. JoeP

JoeP Member

A Shure Beta 52 records kick drums really nicely too..

4. 1979

1979 Member

If your recording, your options can get pretty creative. In this setting I would use #1 beyer m-88, #2 sennheiser 421, #3 AKG-d112-all have different genre's they excell at.

For Live use the Audix would be a great mic- It has a pretty heavily scooped midrange which is great live, but may be boring or limited when recording. Live, I regularly use and Audix om-6 vocal mic on kick (which is way different than an om-5 vocal mic) if the house only has a beta 52. I am not the biggest fan of beta 52s.

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

I use the ATM-25 almost exclusively, and have never had a problem getting a decent kick sound. Great on floor toms, too.

Loudboy

6. elambo

elambo Member

The Audix will give you more snap than some mics. I've only heard of people using the ATM on toms, but maybe it's a good kick mic...? If you're looking for big and round, why not go for the D112? It would also be great for bass. Or better yet, an RE20. More money, but it would be worth the effort.

Lot's of good options. If you're only considering the two you mentioned get them both and return the loser.

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

8. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

+1.

9. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

My favourite is the Beyer M-88....but if it's too 'big' sounding I'll sub in an MD421, which has a smaller bottom and pokes out a bit more in a mix.

I've never liked the D-112....some people seem to be able to make it work, but I'm not one of them.

Cheers,

Kris

10. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Get the Audix D6.

I've owned and used a large TOA, EV PL20 (like an RE20), D112, SM57, etc.

The Audix D6 is noticably better than anything I've used in the past. It's especially easy to get a good kick sound live at a gig 'cause that mid scoop thing is just perfect for live. As for using it for micing a bass - it might be just fine for that but I would stick with a direct of some sort.

11. Bastille Sound

Bastille Sound Member

ATM25 all the way. You can scoop the mids if you want to get that D6 tone, or you can leave it actually sounding something like a real life kick drum. Also, as noted, great on floor tom and bass amps.

12. brad347

brad347 Member

My choices:
    Beyer M88
    EV RE20
    AKG D12

The AKG D112 is also quite popular.

13. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Les hasn't weighed in here, but he's firmly in the atm25 kick camp last i recall.

14. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

Sennheiser makes areally good kick drum mic. The model # slips my mind but it's the one they sale with their drum mic package.

15. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies! I'm going to stop by GC tomorrow to pick up a kick mic. I am leaning toward the ATM 25 even though they don't have it in stock. I know they will match the Zzounds price of $150, which, doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. If that doesn't work there is always the D6, which, I have heard great things about too! :) Thanks again for your help!

16. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

I like the D112..

I picked mine up not to long ago for $125 (used but mint in box)

17. ricoh

ricoh Member

What he said

18. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

What about the Blue Kickball ???

19. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    AKG D12E Watch eBay and pick up one of these gems!

20. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

I have both the D6 and D112. It's true, the D6 is hyped and scooped and is good for live IME. It records well too, depends on the drum though. Sometimes it sounds great with no EQ needed. If the Drum ALREADY doesn't have a lot of mids going on, it can sound like a Metal kick sample! All depends on what you want I suppose.

One mic I'm looking at is the EV N/D 868. Supposed to be killer. I'd also like a Sennheiser E602, or maybe a E902(?).

I've never tried an ATM25, but seldomly hear it mentioned in the same circles as the other mic mentioned.

There's lots of mics out there. It all depends on your style, budget, and of course, the DRUM you're recoding that day!