Kicking the Soda Habit - do I jump on the La Croix bandwagon?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by stevel, Jun 19, 2019.

1. stevel

stevel Member

Been a soda drinker all my life. Mt. Dew and Pepsi mainly.

I don't do coffee.

I can do tea, and do, and also will get that instead of soda a lot of places, and just get unsweet with a little added sweet tea (it is the South!). But tea can be so variable so many places and some of it just isn't that good.

I can do water OK, but you know, where's the fun in that.

I was just reading where people who are trying to stop drinking actually use things like La Croix because of all the sensations they're used to - the can, the crack of the can, the carbonation, the cold can in your hand - all that is covered, without the alcohol. So it's not going "cold turkey" so to speak, but getting rid of the bad stuff without sacrificing a lot of the other things that aren't so harmful.

So I'm thinking, rather than trying to go off the soda, and just make the drastic change to plain unsweetened, unflavored water, these carbonated waters (or something similar) might be a better middle ground with the health benefits of water, but keeping the psychological aspects of "cracking open a soda".

I've tried "cold turkey" before and been somewhat successful - made it 6 months or so. But it's hard not to come back. I've been on 1 a day, 1 every other day, and things like that, but I think I need something else to substitute for it, rather than water or tea.

Anyone had any similar experiences and willing to offer advice?

Tahitijack likes this.
  2. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Ya, I subbed sparkling water for soda. Don't miss soda at all. I do the same if I want to cut back on beer.

I bought a couple Mexican Cokes a couple weeks ago because I wanted to see how real sugar Coke tastes and if I remembered the taste from when I was a kid. Two drinks and I poured it out. That stuff is SWEET!!!.

saltbird, Tahitijack, shane8 and 2 others like this.
  3. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I was putting down a liter a day of
    DC. For many decades.

6 months ago switched to flavored seltzer water.

I get the snap crackle and pop craving with afaik no ill effects or belly blubber.

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Sprite Zero is good stuff.

Slaphappy likes this.
  5. Swami Asango

Swami Asango Member

the secret with water is, to drink nothing else, ever.

after a while, with no other options available, it becomes the most refreshing drink.

musicmanjohn, saltbird, 777 and 9 others like this.
  6. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Correct.

Soda is an acquired taste, and you can easily un-acquire it. If you go six weeks without having any, it's not going to taste good when you try it the next time.

ChorusCrackpot, JB, saltbird and 6 others like this.
  7. Stike

Stike Member

I like seltzer alot but La Croix is overpriced. Most grocery chains have a store brand that's a lot less, I jokingly call Kroger's La Kro. Read the label because some flavored seltzers have aspertame added, personally I think it has a nasty aftertaste. If you're trying to kick the soda habit then you should just get away from sweet altogether for awhile.

Or you could buy a Soda Stream and make your own seltzer.

8. Shadoof

Shadoof Member

This is true. When I'm really thirsty only water will do.

But there are times that I just want something carbonated so I always keep some La Croix, Bubly, Polar or whatever is on sale at the grocery store on hand.

saltbird likes this.
  9. RunninWDevil

RunninWDevil Member

I just stopped drinking soda except for a very occasional treat. Cold turkey is the way to go.

10. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

Been drinking a lot of this:

[​IMG]

Lef T, Timcito, VaughnC and 3 others like this.
  11. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Good plan, make a switch to something less powerful and then allow yourself a certain amount per day/week. And then slowly cut back and then quit.

Cold turkey for me, a glass of cold water really does have a lot of flavor; you get used to it. I drink black tea/english breakfast too but that's about it, on the road coffee on occasion but soda not for years. WAY to sweet for me, I can't deal with it.

Good luck!

12. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

13. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

I did La Croix for a while, drinking quite a lot of it. However, while it will vary for different people, La Croix could in some ways sort of maintain some habits associated with drinking soda. Basically, all the things you mentioned: the sensation, the crack of the can, the carbonation, having flavor, etc.

I like Hint better than La Croix, but they only seem to sell them in individual plastic bottles and I think they're more expensive than La Croix.

You could always try those little bottles of liquid, sugar-free flavoring too, to squirt into glasses of water (Dasani, Mio, etc).

I've personally been on on a med called Acetazolamide for a few months now, which makes anything carbonated taste weird, so I don't even think about it.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Are you addicted to the caffeine or the pop/soda? Headaches and withdrawl symptoms after even a day getting back into it after being off it for months?

Make hot tea and put a splash of milk/cream in it -- I learned that from a British friend.

15. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

At dinner, most often I have 1/3 of a glass of root beer, and fill the rest with club soda - it's much more refreshing and obviously far less sticky-sweet (without being diet and having the artificial sweeteners). From there, weaning yourself off and making the change, to La Croix and the like, should be easy.

16. soundmuppet

soundmuppet Member

I’d go with a Soda Stream as mentioned above...honestly...the ability to make fizzy water when you want it. No carrying cans/bottles that fill up the fridge space. Over time, it’s well worth it.

I’ve owned one for over 20 years and will probably always have one in the House purely for the convenience.

Ideas for use:

Straight up fizz and nothing but the fizz.
    Crush soft fruits like strawberries and blueberries in to add a little flavor.
    A squirt of lemon or lime juice...heck, even some OJ.
    Vodka.....etc

Enjoy

Roark likes this.
  17. Hwy14

Hwy14 Member

Do yourself a favor and check and see if you have these in your area- they are the bomb.com.
    My favorite is the pink grapefruit, but there are 6-7 that I really like.

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I get a Mexican Coke whenever I get kimchi and pork tacos which is about every couple of months. You need something sour (like kimchi) to balance it out.

OP, I'd suggest sparkling water if you miss the fizz.

19. stevel

stevel Member

This actually happened to me when I did go 6 months without soda. Tried a Mt. Dew and it was just super super sweet and tasted like Sweet Tarts!

However, eliminating every except water is not going to happen in any kind of short term. Our water at home has gotten really bad (often tastes of chemicals they treat with). I used to have a Brita, and that was OK, but it's just a PITA to keep up with all that stuff for me. I might as well make tea with tea bags which I already do.

20. stevel

stevel Member

Yeah see things like the Soda Stream are just too much trouble for me (yes, I'm that lazy). I'm also looking for something I can grab at a convenience store when I'm out when the craving hits. I heard La Croix was expensive and I've heard Polar and even some store brands are better choices.

Thanks for the warning about aspertame because that's why I don't do diet sodas - they're like those things that are "low in sugar" but replace it with sodium, or "fat free" which they replace with sugar, etc. I'm trying to just eliminate the stuff, not replace it with something else (in terms of nutrient/foodstuffs, not the "feel" of drinking something out of a can that fizzes). I saw those Izze drinks contain some sugar and that's what I'm trying to avoid - though it's a lot less, I might as well drink an Arizona half and half or something. Don't really want Stevia either, and I've noticed a lot of artificial sweeteners taste horrible to me and I feel like they stay in my mouth for a day and it just makes me want to have more of what it was I was drinking - which is kind of like the addiction to sodas all over again.

I guess I want a Sodastream drink I could make at home, but that I can pick up at the quickie mart.