Kid at my church needs me to help him fix his guitar...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jrm, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jrm

jrm Member

.. and I've never done anything of the sort!

It all seems liek basic stuff. He's got an old no-name flying v copy that actually sounds pretty decent! But all the pots (2) are scratchy, the input jack is intermittent, and the toggle switch is funky. So basically, I just need to replace these things. I've never soldered before, but I've got a fella that can teach me and walk me through the process on a guitar. It's high time I learned anyway!

So.. ummm... where do I get what I need? A nd what do I need specifically? 250k? 500k? Are their brands that are better than others? The kids mom is a single mom with a real limited income, so I'll be doing this outta pocket for them. I jstu don't know what to look for! Any pointers? Thanks!

-jon

2. Hargrett

Hargrett Member

Try giving it a good cleaning before replacing a bunch of parts.
    With a spray can of "tuner cleaner with lubricant" from Radio Shack you might be able to clean the pots and switch enough to work again.
    Burnishing the inside of the output jack sleeve with a small rolled-up piece of 400 or 600 grit wet/dry paper (dry!) might fix the intermittent problem.
    All the best!

3. jrm

jrm Member

Thanks for all the help fellas.

Got the parts and a friend to help me work on it last night... What a process. The old pots were absolutely tiny... kinda looked like mini-pots. They had the circumference of a penny.. maybe smaller. The new pots from stew mac were much larger and thus were too wide to fit in the wiring channel under the pickguard. So, we had to grind a little bit of the wiring route to make it wide enough... pretty easy on a plywood body. since the pot shafts were a little bit wider than original we had to bore out the pick guard a bit too. But now that it is done, it works great! Put it through the paces and there is no crackling/cutting-out/etc... the taper of the volume is very nice. In short, it was more work than we bargained for, but it works! Thanks for all your help fellas.