Kid shows up with this.....

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Gavin, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

So we're at praise and worship practice tonight and I'm talking to the 16 y.o. old soundman Colin and I'm explaining to him that he's got a good ear for sound and we're sending him to a 10 hour training session on sound engineering. Colin usually brings an acoustic guitar to practice and once he gets everything set for us, he strums along behind the board.

This evening he says to me that he brought his grandfathe'rs bass and he's going to play that. OK....no problem...wait a minute..."Colin, did you say "grandfathers" bass"...I'm quickly doing the math in my head and I'm able to calculate =OLD BASS...."Colin, let me see the bass". He pulls out the strangest green gig bag that is shaped funny. Kinda like a cello case. Large at the base, skinny around the neck and then large again around the headstock. He unzips it and pulls out a 60's Ampeg AMB-1 (see picture below/guitar on left). I tried to contain myself because I've never seen one (IIRC only 600 ever made) and I've always thought they were pretty cool.

Being a guitar player that mostly plays bass, I was stoked at the chance to finally see one in person. Not only that, plug it in and play it. Wow!!! It was the puchiest, thickest tone EVER. I'm sure the strings had to be decades old but it still played/sounded great.

.....I'll be talking to grandpa real soon.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I had one of those-the fretless model. Great bass, and one of the few of the departed i still regret letting go.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  3. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I'm sure their not original but probably from some time in the eighties.:banana Probaly changed, put back in the bag and never played until now. I read that because of the length of the bass (to include th massive headstock) that you have to buy extra long strings. Are the longer strings common at guitar shops or something he'll have to order?

4. bluzbass

bluzbass Member

You can buy extra long string sets now with all the 35" scale basses being sold,no problems.Awsome axe!I'm green over here!

5. Stretch Papa

Stretch Papa Member

Awesome Bass!!
    Score for 16. Why can't I ave a grandfather who tucked away a bass only to be found 50 years later. HA. :AOK

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Very cool looking bass!

7. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I am 50 and thought I saw everything...I don't remember that one. Very cool!

8. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I recall a picture of Rick Danko of The Band playing a bass that looked like that...I think it was in the liner pictures of either The Band or Rock of Ages.

John

9. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

He played one a lot. I probably saw the Band a half dozen times and he always played it, fretless. I Think he had one with a spike that stuck out the bottom for playing it standup style too.

10. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Four Seasons used one, I think on one of their Ed Sullivan appearances.

11. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

You are correct, sir! With the spike out, stand-up style!

Thanks for the memory!

HMTM

12. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Eastwood makes a tolerable knock-off of that one:

[​IMG]